New here, and need help

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by SonyaM32, Dec 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonyaM32

SonyaM32 Registered Member

I am brand new here, and don't know a thing about computers. I know I have 4 trojan viruses, which are not cleanable, in my java files. 3 of them are named (JAVA BYTEVER A ) .Ive tried the turning off my restore files and scanning, I use etrust armor for my virus scan, it is up to date. The last time I had a trojan, my virus scan deleted them. Also I scanned online at the Trend website, and could not be cleaned there either. Can anyone tell me what I can do ? Thanx Sonya

Last edited: Dec 23, 2004
  2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

The easiest thing you can do is go into the control panel, double click "Java", and click the button that says "Delete Files" on the general tab.

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hey Sonya, welcome to Wilders, doing what Notok advised will get you clean, and after this may I suggest taking a look here for further discussion on security and how to make your system that much stronger and here for more.

This is what works really well for me, very simple to use and maintain.

Hope this helps...

Let us know how you go.

Cheers :D

4. SonyaM32

Thanx, I will do that. I take it Java files aren't to important ? I don't even know what they are for. If they are important, can someone tell me how to re-get the Java that I may need ?

5. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Sonya - When you delete those, they're just Temporary Internet files that Java generates - nothing important to the operation of Java itself is removed. Merry Christmas. Pete

6. SonyaM32

Ok I went to my control panel, and only java- plug-in is there. There is no other java. Also i clicked on the java plug in, and there is no place to delete files, or a general tab. Thanx for all your help. I have windows xp, if that helps.

7. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Sonya - Okay, that might mean that you're not using Sun's Java, and that you're using Microsoft's. (You are sure that there wasn't a button that said "Cache" on your Java plug-in screen, right?).

If you're running the M$ version, have you been to Windows Update lately? It should tell you if your version needs updated.

It's been so long since I used their's that I can't remember how to clear that one - but I'm sure someone else will. Pete

*If you're using System Restore, a copy of the infection might be in there, too. See this page for instructions on how to turn it off and then back on (to clear it).

8. SonyaM32

OK, Yes my java did have the cache, so I cleared it, and am running a virus scan now, and so far hasn't picked up any viruses ! Usually it would have already done so by now. The scan is almost complete. Gosh you guys, thanks. I know where I'm commin next time !!!! Merry Christmas :D

9. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

You're quite welcome. And, welcome to Wilders.

Don't forget about System Restore (should anything crop up in there) and Windows Update to keep everything OS-wise up-to-date). Pete

10. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

It is recommended that you do a couple of things after a serious infection.

Just to be sure.

Clear out your Temporary internet files and other temp files. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel >
    Internet Options. Under the General tab click the Delete temporary internet files,
    choose to delete all Offline content. Clear out Cookies.

Also, go to Start > Find/search > Files or folders > in the named box, type: *.tmp and choose Edit > select all ->
    File > delete.

Empty the contents of the C:\Windows\temp folder and C:\temp folder, if you have one.

This one too if Win2K or XP.
    C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp\

Empty the Recycle Bin.

Flush your restore points in ME and XP, by turning System Restore off and then back on.
    This will create a fresh restore point.

Explained here:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001111912274039

Also if you have sunjava installed it's cache should be cleared too.
    > control panel java-plugin > cache tab > hit clear!
    And make sure you have the latest version if you have sunjava.

Adjust your security settings for ActiveX:
    a. Go to Internet Options/Security/Internet, press 'default level', then OK.
    Now press "Custom Level."
    In the ActiveX section, set/click the options as follows:
    Download signed ActiveX controls > prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls > disable
    Initialize and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe > disable
    b. In your Restricted Sites Zone set everything that can be to "disable". Set anything that cannot be disabled to "prompt".
    c. Never add any site to your Trusted Sites Zone.

I would also recommend, In your own self defense and to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future, installing both SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard.

SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard are by JavaCool and both are free programs. SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed and consumes no system resources. SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation and browser hijack attempts. Both have free ongoing updates.

More info and download is available at:
    SpywareBlaster: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2859
    SpywareGuard: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3045

Maybe consider this as well:
    IE-SPYAD puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone, so you'll be protected when you visit
    innocent-looking sites that aren't really innocent at all.
    http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/resource.htm
    Also some info on that page to tighten your IE security.

Be sure to also keep up with Windows and IE updates.

Windows security and critical updates.
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

Internet Explorer security and critical updates.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.asp

Keep all of these programs updated, its free.

11. SonyaM32

WOW, THANK YOU ! I had lots of stuff to delete !!!!!! :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.