Appending sizes too large ...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by WTF, Dec 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WTF

WTF Registered Member

If this has been discussed already, I couldn't find it ..

I set up my system and then use True Image to keep a 'clean' system, I periodically restore it, add whatever new stuff I want, then back it up again.

when appending first became available, I thought this was perfect.

Trouble is, I have an image around 10GB, I restore it, add around 100mb of programs and tweaks, the APPEND, the new appends are 10GB too !

When the system was very new, it would only add about 200mb on top of whatever I added which seemed normal, somehow now, it's not working ...

When I do a COMPLETE backup, it's the same size, so somewhere along the line it's not recognizing the APPEND

any help appreciated

WTF

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi

Do you carry out a defrag in between creating your images?

TI does in-use sector based imaging. A defrag will change the fingerprint of your HD therefore incremental images are likely to be as large as a complete one.

Regards

3. WTF

WTF Registered Member

Hmmm .... That could be it

I have diskeeper setup on a schedule to run at night, so it shouldnt be affecting true image the way I use it, I restore the image, add to it, then immed do another image,but I'll take a look just to be sure ...

thanks

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello WTF,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

I did understand the procedure you described. The thing is that Acronis True Image does carry out a sector-based backup and when you restore the image the sectors are being resrored not into the same location on the hard disk drive. So the incremental backup would be as big as the full one is and even bigger.

We recommend you to create a new full backup after installing new software.

Thank you.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

If the image being restored was created prior to the scheduled defrag then your post-defrag image size will definitely be affected.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.