Error Burning the Bootable CDR/CDRW

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rharris, Oct 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rharris

rharris Guest

True Image 8.0 bld 763: "Error Burning the Bootable CDR/CDRW" This occurs on every attempt to create a bootable recovery CD. W2Ksp4 , Jetta Laptopcomputer #7964 with built in qsi CDRW/DVD SBW-241 DRIVE

Why? Solution?

2. Storm

Storm Registered Member

For me it helped to boot into safe mode. Then the burning worked :)

Greetz Storm

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello rharris,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/).

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build (774), which is available on our web site at http://www.acronis.com/support/updates/. To get access to updates you should register your software first at http://www.acronis.com/registration/. Please remember to disable any download managers, internet download/connection boosters, etc. before the download.

If the problem persists please try to use the next tips to solve it:
    - Eject any disc from the burner prior to starting the application;
    - Proceed until the program asks for a disc and opens the tray;
    - Insert a disc and then click the "Proceed" button to close the tray automatically as well.

If that doesn't help then we also recommend you to update third party CD writing software if any to the latest version available for free on its respective web site.

Please also note that you should use a blank unformatted CD-R or CD-RW in order to create a bootable rescue disc.

If nothing helps please download, unpack and install the following file:

http://www.acronis.com/files/support/TrueImage8.0_cdlog_s_en.zip

After this please run the program, reproduce the problem and send the cdrecord.log file created in the \Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\CDRecord folder to support@acronis.com.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd., Suite 213
    South San Francisco, CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com/

Acronis support department
    e-mail: support@acronis.com

Acronis... compute with confidence

4. arossphoto

arossphoto Guest

I have installed the trial version, but I cannot create a bootable CD. Whenever I click on "proceed" I get the "error burning to bootable" message. I have tried everything I could find here, including:

- tried to burn both full mode and safe mode
    - with the CD in the drive and without
    - tried multiple blank CD-R's
    - disabled "recording on this drive"
    - disabled Norton Anti-virus
    - disabled Drag-to-Disc in the task manager
    - disabled auto-play

Nothing works and I can't install the log suggested above without a serial.

I'm certainly not impressed and I'm also testing Dantz Retrospect, which hasn't displayed any similar problems. So obviously it is looking much better than Acronis. Any suggestions from support?

Sys info:

WinXP pro
    Roxio 7
    Nero 6
    LG CD-RW (HL-DT-ST CD-RW in device manager)

Thanks,

Andrew

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello arossphoto

Just a thought but try waiting about 30 seconds after inserting the blank CD-R for your burner to initialise and then click on Proceed.

If that doesn't work, also try reducing the write speed of your burner to something less than it's maximum.

Regards

6. arossphoto

arossphoto Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestion, but there is no CD in the tray when the error occurs. I followed the instructions from support as below:

- Eject any disc from the burner prior to starting the application;
    - Proceed until the program asks for a disc and opens the tray;
    - Insert a disc and then click the "Proceed" button to close the tray automatically as well.

I removed the disc before starting Acronis, when the option to "Proceed" appears I click on it, the tray opens and the error message appears.

This certainly doesn't instill confidence in a program that supposed to be my salvation when the computer crashes.

I look forward to hearing from support on this.

Thanks.

7. Menorcaman

Hello again Andrew

No, no! The procedure you quote (as provided by Acronis Support) is used when TI needs to change disks when dealing with split images.

When creating a Boot Rescue Disk you MUST have a blank CDR/CDRW in your burner, the drawer has to be closed and the burner needs to finish initialising, prior to clicking "Proceed".

Regards

8. arossphoto

Thanks again for your help. Sorry if I missed something, but isn't the title of this topic "Error Burning the Bootable CDR/CDRW"? Am I wrong, or was support wrong when they posted a response that had to do with creating images, rather than creating a bootable disk?

I also posted in my original question that I have tried it both ways "with the CD in the drive and without" prior to creating the disk. Having said all that, I will try it again as you suggest and write down the exact steps and error messages.

Thanks and I do appreciate your help, even though I'm pretty frustrated with the product.

Andrew

9. Menorcaman

Hi Andrew,

Please ignore my previous statement. Our Acronis Moderator was semi right and I'm almost entirely wrong! The procedure he recommended is for use during creation of a Boot Rescue disk but isn't correct as written.

However, in my defence, I will say your statement in your earlier post that there was no CD in the tray when the error occured did start me off on the wrong foot.

If I had read Support's instructions more carefully I would have understood the reason for your statement. Support's second bullet is incorrect and should read "Proceed until the program asks for a disc and then open the tray" i.e. you need to open the tray yourself manually!!

Anyway, sorry for the bum steer in my previous post.

Regards

Last edited: Oct 25, 2004
  10. rpwt

rpwt Registered Member

I'm also fighting this problem. All other software writes the CD-RW/DVD-RAM OK, just not TI. The following is my post to Acronis and their reply:

> [rpwt@earthlink.net - Thu Oct 21 20:01:55 2004]:
    >
    > I've been unable to create a bootable rescue media CD or DVD. Don't
    > have floppy disk.
    >
    > Steps:
    > - Go to Rescue Media Builder
    > - Full Version (recommended)
    > - Shows CD Drive (D:) CD-RW Drive Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-812 K103
    > - Proceed
    > - Says "Please insert a blank CD-R/CD-RW into your
    > CD-Recorder/CD-ReWriter.."
    > - I insert CD-RW (imation) 650MB 4x-10x compatible
    > - Proceed
    > - Error dialog box: Error burning the bootable CD-R/CD-RW
    > - Have tried both unformatted (RAW) and formatted CDs.
    > - Have tried with DVD-RAM (Memorex 4.7GB)
    > - Have disabled other software (DLA) trying to manage drive
    > - Have temporarily turned off AV software (Norton)
    >
    > The CD and DVD functions work for other applications.
    >
    > I feel rather exposed not having a bootable rescue disk. I have been
    > able to make image copies (to external USB hard disk) just fine.

> Suggestions?

> Acronis True Image version 8.0 (build 774)
    > IBM Thinkpad T42P
    > Windows XP Pro, SP2

(I have tried other suggestions posted on this forum - wait to insert
    CD, don't wait. I have downloaded and installed every bit of brand-new
    drivers that I can find.
    )

Hello,

Thank you for choosing our software.

We recommend you to update third party CD writing software if any to the latest version available for free on its respective web site. If this does not help, please try the following workaround.

- Eject any disc from the burner prior to starting the program;
    - Proceed until the program asks for a disc;
    - Insert a disc and then click the OK button to close the tray automatically.

If you have Roxio, please try to exit its Drag-to-Disc tool and start creation of the Acronis CD again.
    --
    Best regards,

11. Menorcaman

Hello Andrew and rpwt

If you've not done so already, boot into Windows "Safe" mode (press F8 during Windows loading sequence), start TI and try to burn a Boot Rescue disk. Apparently this has worked for a number of other users.

Regards

12. none

none Guest

What actually did work when I wrestled this problem was creating a "safe mode" rescue CD in a regular Win environment. Afterwards the program did the "normal mode" CD without complaining. (see also thread 51656: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=51656). Obviously this did not help Andrew though as he explains. Good luck.

Uli

13. arossphoto

I finally had time to try booting in safe mode and I was able to burn the bootable CD this way. Now I have another problem with repeated error messages about a failure "to read from the sector of the hard disk 3". This happened over 20 times before I said "Ignore All". I ran the WinXP "error checking" on this disk and it didn't return any errors.

Maybe I should start a new thread for this topic, but I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks again,

Andrew

14. Menorcaman

Hi again Andrew

Glad to hear that booting into Windows "Safe" mode as suggested enabled you to create a boot rescue disk.

With regard to the error message, do you by any chance have a USB memory card reader installed? If so, and it's empty, insert a memory card and try booting from the rescue disk again. If that doesn't work, see if booting into rescue mode with the card reader disconnected helps.

Regards

15. arossphoto

Thanks again for your help. These error messages are happening when I start Acronis, I'm not trying to boot from the rescue disk or anything like that. It looks like the "hard disk 3" referred to in the error messages is my external firewire HD that I was planning to save the image to. When I start Acronis with this drive turned off, I don't get the error messages. I do have a USB card reader as well, and I will try and disconnect that to see what happens.

Thanks,

Andrew

16. Menorcaman

If you're getting the "Error reading from Sector...." message in Windows mode then I'm pretty sure it's not caused by an empty USB memory card reader/writer. Therefore it looks fairly certain that your Firewire HD is the sole cause of the problem.

I guess I should have tried this immediately after updating to Build 774 but out of interest I've just reconnected my Conceptronic USB memory card reader/writer and attempted to restore from the Boot Rescue Disk. The good news is that I no longer get the "Error reading from Sector...." message :) . The bad news is that TI now hangs during the "Processing" function, necessitating a hard reset :( . So, I'll just have to leave the thing disconnected as before. Sigh.

Regards

17. Menorcaman

Gawd. Don't you just love computers!! Thought I would give this another go - with and without a memory card inserted. Unfortunately it proved nothing as the symptoms kept changing. Sometimes it would boot into rescue mode and complete the restore. Other times it would boot into rescue mode and hang whilst "Processing". Sometimes it wouldn't even boot fully into rescue mode but just hang during "Loading, please wait". o_O

I'm resigned to the fact that TI in boot rescue mode and my Conceptronic 6-in-1 reader/writer will never see eye to eye. No big deal though as I only connect it when needed (which isn't very often).

Regards

18. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Menorcaman

:mad: o_O :eek: :D :'( :D :oops: :doubt: .

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

19. Menorcaman

Hiya The Quest

Yes, I know!! You'd think an old expat Lancastrian like me, living in sunny (well mostly) Menorca, would have better things to do. :D

Kind regards
    Tom

20. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Menorcaman

What did you do wrong to have to move there, :D :D , Lucky you. :p [ :D ]

With Many regards,
    Take lots of Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

21. rpwt

rpwt Registered Member

This is another post about the same problem, over and over again.

I have followed every suggested solution:
    - latest SW, latest drivers, latest HW (only the operator is old)
    - boot in safe mode
    - wait to insert CD-ROM/RW until before/after 'Proceed'
    - use formatted, don't use formatted
    - make sure all drivers are up-to-date, disable all other writing SW

Apparently some people have been able to make a bootable CD by a series of arcane steps - perhaps unique to their configuration. I have tried their suggestions (stand on left foot while holding finger in nose...).

This is really not acceptable. I can write my CD-RW/ROM, DVD-RAM with this drive via all other software.

I went out and bought a USB floppy drive ($US39) just so I could have the security of a bootable medium (6 diskettes).

Acronis has been stellar in all regards except answering this problem with so many users. Were they bought out by Dell? Come on guys - even tho you've moved your center of ops to South SF doesn't mean you need to dot-com implode because of some success!

22. DickDastardly

DickDastardly Registered Member

This thread has been quite informative. I just want it to be known that I have had this problem as well, and have tried everything to no avail. Even updated Roxio products and am using TrueImage 8 774.

What has finally got me over this problem is the turning off of Roxio's drag to disk tool. Once I did that I was able to create a TrueImage startup rescue disk (full version). I hope Acronis and Roxio can be better friends in the future with better updates.

23. Menorcaman

Hello rpwt

You seem to have tried all the normal workarounds (and a few abnormal ones by the sound of it!!) but I'm wondering whether you have tried unchecking "Enable CD recording on this drive" (open My Computer, right click on your burner, select Properties, click on the Recording tab and uncheck the tick box). These instructions assume you are using Windows XP of course.

Are you able to set your burner to write at a lower speed? Some drives come with utility software that enables you to force the drive to operate at lower revs.

A bit of a long shot but, if you haven't done so yet, it's worth visiting the drive manufacturer's web site to see if there's an update to the firmware that you can download and flash onto the drive. If there is, read the manufacturers associated instructions before you start and make sure you follow them to the letter. I've flashed my Sony DRU510A firmware twice in the past 10 months but not without feeling somewhat nervious at the time.

Apols if you've already been down these roads but the info might just help some other poor soul who happens to read this thread.

Regards

24. mistermoo

mistermoo Registered Member

I had the same problem creating a bootable cd trying to use a CD-R. The work around I found that worked was:

(1) Exit the true image software.
    (2) Manually insert a BLANK CD-R into your burner and close the drive door.
    (3) Since it is a blank CD-R your burner software will auto start. Wait for that to happen and quit that software WITHOUT formatting the disk ie the disk has to be a blank CD-R for the image software to work. (ie in roxio click "take no action").
    (4) Keep waiting until you hear your CD-R stop spinning. Once it has stopped you can be sure no burner software is trying to do anything and create conflicts/problems.
    (5) Start the image software and proceed to create a bootable CD using the full mode.(safe mode probably also works but i have not tried it)

This worked for me and the resulting in a bootable CD which i tested. i booted my machine from a cold start using the CD created and had no problems.

i agree this software is buggy. i found equally bizarre bugs trying to use the secure zone & its secure zone manager function. with respect to this part of the software i came to the conclusion that it is best to avoid the secure zone as another topic in this forum has pointed out.

25. bklein

bklein Registered Member

try loading the CD into the cdrom drive just before hitting the proceed button - load it, wait to see a green activity light on your cdrom drive, then hit the proceed button.

This worked. bootable cd. but my machine cannot boot successfully from it or the factory boot cd. Even with the command line options I've seen suggested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.