ProcessGuard v3 to be released! ...

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Wayne - DiamondCS, Oct 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Why not just use the password feature. In the lastest private beta when you lock ProcessGuard no settings can be changed. I suspect and Jason can confirm, but I would bet you can't just change those files on the fly.

2. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

I think the guy has a point, its not about just being able to lock it down its about being able to easily have more than one operational mode

I would *probably* allow my wife to run different things to what I'd let the kids run

Try explaining to the wife that she can only have the same level of access to programs as the kids because there is only a 'lock' function in the program.
    Somehow I think she would have full access before too long or I'd be eating nicely oven-roasted salads..... :doubt:

This is really the same old request that is asked for in every piece of software
    Developers say things like "just do it this way" or "pah, they don't need that"

End Users always have their own new and unanticipated ways of using software thats how they find the remaining bugs after all

Flexibility is the cornerstone of good program design and implementation.
    Few would disagree that the flexibility provided in Unix by having pipes and modularised programs has allowed much more to be achieved by reuse and extension. Even .NET now has a pipe model that allows the same thing to be done under Windows (its more abstracted than the unix one because you can pass objects along the pipe)

Just my 2p

3. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Profiles! Yes, I like that idea.. you could change your overall protection set easily and on the fly. That would be great for when you use a program that you don't want others using while you are away, and don't want to use multiple accounts. This would also be a good way of changing the protection settings for specific tasks without disabling protection all together.

4. leeach

leeach Registered Member

definitely wish PG had a profile feature as well. not that my opinion matters.

5. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

I assume this post and the earlier one are mostly to do with Execution Protection? ie You want more control over who can run which applications?

6. Kegel

Kegel Registered Member

Keep it simple. Dont try to turn this into an all in one program. Its fine the way it is....serves the purpose I want it to serve.

7. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Jason, what about the scanner detection of our at (tds-3) an option to scan the files which are blocked/allowed.

whenever a exe/dll service is blocked we get the option to scan it with our Tds-3?

this would help achieve a more secure machine. this wouldn't be that hard to implement I think, however I cannot do it ;)

8. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

We will most likely be doing some integration between PG and TDS-4 in a few builds after the initial release (of TDS-4). It is a great combination really and there is a lot of different ways we can integrate it, very exciting. :)

9. leeach

leeach Registered Member

excellent use of logic!

1. dont add more features, it is fine the way it is! for god sakes, dont improve it!

2. it serves the purpose i want it to serve, so dont change it. also, screw other users!

10. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

1. I don't think that Kegel was implying no improvement but that the program be kept simple.
    Anyway DCS are committed to keep ProcessGuard ahead of known threats :)

2. Just an opinion which can be misread, I am sure that Kegel would not want to "screw other users".

So let's just keep on topic please.

11. gottadoit

That pretty much covers it from my pov

I agree with the others.. it needs to be simple and visual

It would be nice if we could associate a default profile with a user account
    Also a user account should be able to switch to one of a number of profiles that they are authorised for

If I have the "wife" policy applied then a different colour for the icon & any alerts to show it up would do the trick
    That way if I walk past the computer and see the kids with the wrong colour icon then I'll know they haven't quite managed to fool me completely (yet)

It would also allow me to define a lockdown mode for myself which would be fine for day to day use...

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 29, 2004
  12. Peter2150

This "wife" policy has me chuckling. That is playing with fire. Once asked AOL why they won't release a screen name, if the owner wants it released. The answer was that they had several minor suits where a couple was splitting up and one spouse tried to get the other spouses screennames turn off for revenge. Touchy stuff. :D

13. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

Jason - THANKS for removing the 'human verification'. It was driving me up the wall having to ask for permission to make my choices everytime I changed my mind or had to disable protection (Graphics driver installs, Microsoft updates etc) It was just a complete nuisance. For people that want some kind of guarantee that family or other users won't alter settings a password protect option would suffice but the main thing I feel is that the choice should be there for those who want it and those who don't. Flexibility so that those with only 1 user and those with many users can take appropriate measures.

For me I don't need it or want it and never liked it being imposed on me so I'm glad to see it gone forever never to return. It's about time common sense prevailed.

Now that PG 3 Final is being released PLEASE don't keep us waiting too much longer for TDS 4. I've got TDS 3, Boclean and Trojan Hunter but what I want is a real time scanner like Boclean but by DCS and with a scan option. Something that looks and feels real cool as well as doesn't hog resources or conflict with other programs. TDS 3 is ok but once exect.proc is turned on loading programs is slowed down considerably. What I want is basically something to protect me especially when I'm online.

Dave

14. leeach

leeach Registered Member

this is my opinion. do not impose the feature on users, but also do not remove it completely to appease those that do not care for it while leaving the more advanced crowd in the cold.

15. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

After all it's US that have to use the program isn't it? So it wouldn't hurt to have both options. They want to keep the program as simple to operate as possible but they could have included and 'advanced settings' option with some tweaks that advanced users like you prefer.

Keep trying maybe they'll include it at a later date. I don't use it but I still feel the option should be there.

16. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Dave, This will have to go on to the next wish list as I am sure it will not be implemented in this build.

For those that want to see a couple of screenshots of the final they can be found here: http://www.pilliwinks.net/review.htm#Version_1.200_
    Note: The first screenshot is of the Public Beta and the final has some small graphical changes.

Pilli :D

Last edited: Oct 30, 2004
  17. gottadoit

I'd have to say I used the example of a "wife" mode mainly because it is so funny and because it happens. My wife is a computer professional as well and that actually makes it harder to share a computer with her because she is technically savvy ...

The new product is very nice and the extra protection is great...
    I had been thinking about buying it and after reading about the new version I purchased it the other day (and have now had a play with the 3beta rather than just reading about it)

It would be good to have profiles and even better to be able to import and export them

As far as which version the feature appears in.... it doesn't really matter
    This is just a GUI add-on really so its minor impact stuff not overly high in the TO-DO list I'd imagine

On another note, is there somewhere we can go to get information about the Alerts that are being logged for driver/service entries. At the moment information seems to be rather sparse

I got three entries logged and haven't really found much about them
    "services.exe Tried to install a driver/service named ..."
    SetupNTGLM7X, WEBNTACCESS, FLASHSYS

And on a functional note, it would be really nice to be able to distinguish between the different types of global hooks (from a grant permissions perspective) - maybe "advanced" mode would give several checkboxes....
    [GLOBAL HOOK] [2124] was blocked from creating a global Keyboard hook
    [GLOBAL HOOK] [3880] was blocked from creating a global Mouse hook

Why wordpad.exe wants to create a global mouse hook is beyond me... but even if I wanted to enable that why would I want it to have a global keyboard hook privilege as well ?

For the wishlist and an advanced mode :
    - it would be good to be able to display the parent process (and its command line) in the gui as well as the logfile
    - when the process is cmd.exe and it is running a bat or cmd file also display the name of it
    - it would also be nice to be able to specify that programs are only allowed to start from certain parent programs to further lock down access

For example, I have a batch job that downloads some ActiveX blocking registry definitions from spywareguide.com and then runs then into the registry usiing regedit, but I wouldn't want other arbitrary programs invoking regedit...
    Of course in my case it is as easy as copying regedit.exe to a new name and allowing that to run while denying the generically named executable but there are probably other cases where this would be undesirable (or maybe even unworkable)

At the moment I get log entries like this, which as can be seen don't show the cmd file name (just cmd.exe) :

Sat 30 - xx:xx:xx [EXECUTION] "c:\program files\wget\wget.exe" was allowed to run
    [EXECUTION] Started by "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" [3432]
    [EXECUTION] Commandline - [ "\program files\wget\wget.exe" --timestamping -nd http://www.spywareguide.com/blocklist.reg ]
    Sat 30 - xx:xx:xx [EXECUTION] "c:\windows\regedit.exe" was allowed to run
    [EXECUTION] Started by "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" [3432]
    [EXECUTION] Commandline - [ c:\windows\regedit /s blocklist.reg ]

18. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi gottadoit
    This is generated to the ogfile.txt in the final version and appears to show the command line parameters.

Fri 29 - 10:22:18 [EXECUTION] "c:\winnt\system32\svchost.exe" was allowed to run
    [EXECUTION] Started by "c:\winnt\system32\services.exe" [556]
    [EXECUTION] Commandline - [ c:\winnt\system32\svchost.exe -k imgsvc ]

I'm pretty sure this is an area that Jason has tweaked since the last Public Beta.

Regarding Global hooks, some programs always appear to want to set them, CFTmon.exe being one imparticular, as does Internet Explorer but choosing to ignore these does not appear to effect the programms normal functionality, i.e when you get just one or two alerts when an app starts up, though I am sure this will be very much program / user depenent.
    Remember allowing global hooks for a protected process should not be regarded as too much of a threat as a keylogger could still not inject into a process to create it's own global hook providing that Block Global hooks & .dll injection is enabled. See here http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard/index.php?page=attack-keystroke-loggers

Thanks very much for your input - Pilli :)

19. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

I can hardly wait. Please tell me the new version will have the ability to import settings from the current version...:)

20. Peter2150

Hi Dazed and Confused

It won't have that ability. But that isn't really that big a deal. The new learning mode makes the install so easy. We have had a significant number of private betas and its gotten so I del the dat files even if I can save them. Really the new learning mode makes it a trivial issue in my opionion.

Pete

21. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Thanks, Peter. :) Since I started using PG a number of months ago, I had to start from scratch once, and it was time consuming to recreate all the program protection rules. I'll be interested to see how the learning mode can handle this task.

22. Peter2150

Hi again D and C

In a nutshell what you do is install ProcessGuard, and reboot. When ProcessGuard comes up everything that wants to run at startup is already there. PG comes up in learning mode. Then I quickly just run thru the programs I want to have protection. Like for example, I just start outlook and then immediately close it. I use Quickbooks, so I start it, have it do an update(i want to catch the part that goes online) and then close it. Takes me about 5 minutes to run thru everything. Then I reboot, and check everything. Learning mode stays on thru this reboot. If all is well, (always has been for me), then I just do another reboot to catch anything, and when PG comes up again Learning mode is off. Then the infrequently used programs will challenge for permission to run as I use them. I okay them and thats it.

May seem like a lot of words, but it is extremely simple.

Pete

23. xnij

xnij Registered Member

Hi. An earlier post in a different thread for a different PG version noted only add programs that access the firewall to the protection list. Is this still the case, or should all programs one uses eventually end up on the protection list? Notepad, Endnote, Corral, etc.

Best Rgds.
    Xnij

24. Kegel

Kegel Registered Member

Well that all depends.....I have a weak spot for brunettes.

25. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.