Manage Attachments Will Not Work

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by the mul, Sep 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the mul

the mul Registered Member

The problems is, when I click on manage attachments nothing happens
    It just wont do anything no matter how much I click on It.
    In posting rules It says you may post attachments, any advise on this.
    I have added wilders to the trusted sites and the address I added was [www.wildersecurity.com] and I have also added wilders site to IE popup blocker as well and even disabled outpost pro, but when u click on manage attachments nothing happens, any other advise please.
    Just one more thing could kav script checker cause any problems with this not working.

THE MUL

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hey the mul,

Since your thread is board related, i'll move it to General Topics for better attention. ;)

snowbound

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

You'll need to look at whatever you changed between getting it to work over in this thread and now. I'm afraid there is nothing wrong with the forum software, so you'll have to step through all your security software to find the cause.

Since the Manage Attachments function is a combination of a popup window and Javascript, anything at all on your system that can manage, block or otherwise interfere with or filter those is suspect. I don't know the capabilities of the KAV script checker, but if it blocks or filters active scripting, it could cause an effect.

Best recommendation is to start disabling things one at a time until you find the culprit.

4. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

:rolleyes: Pardon me, but the link is www.wilderssecurity.com. You simply forgot an S in your link.

I would add that previous link to the blocked sites, if I were you.

I hope that is the problem. ;)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2004
  5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i dont use ie, but id/and i think do have *.wilderssecurity.com. but i heard Bubba saying something like all the users' of a site that have a wild-card in that fashion (*) can have access to you

i hope the * helps you THE MUL

and someone can answer how using it (the wild-card, not the trusted zone) can make you less secure

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

The issue of being cautious with wildcards on domains is mostly about not trusting all sub-domains where a site allows member pages, or any type of pages that are not published solely by the main site owner. Places where you would not want to put a wildcard based trust in place would include ISP domains, where the customers can put up their own member pages.

This isn't a real world example, but the concept. Say you are a user of megaISP.com. Their webmail site is: mail.megaISP.com and their profile management is done via: myaccount.megaISP.com. You'll probably need to allow active scripting, at the least to use those pages, so you decide to use your browsers trusted zone. However, if their customers are allowed to put their own webpages up at: memberpages.megaISP.com/~membername/index.html, then it is not recommended to trust: *.megaISP.com Instead use just the two sub-domains I listed here (and perhaps a few others you may find through trial and error).

If you trust at that level, then you are trusting every single customer of megaISP.com and their private webpages, (if you ever actually go to any of them). That could be very bad. Regardless of any TOS or AUP at the ISP, bad pages could be up for some time prior to being caught and removed. You could hit many forms of malicious pages that way.

However, the concept mentioned here does not really apply in the same way to most private sites (commercial vendor sites, online forums, and so on). I don't know of any vendor support sites, online forums, or for that matter shopping sites, online banks or any other similar serious sites that give out webpage publishing rights to their users for putting pages up at sub-domains. If they do then move quickly and quietly away from such sites. :doubt: :D

For this site, if you are are using some form of trusted site mechanism, you may need to to add both www.wilderssecurity.com and wilderssecurity.com to the allowed list. Those are actually different. For myself, as you can imagine, I trust what's at this domain, so I just use *.wilderssecurity.com but that is not necessary for people using this forum.

7. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

That's a pretty nice explanation LWMark, I've really only heard mention of wildcards as the term is loosely thrown around. Does this mean sketchy entries in the trusted zone should be entered with "www" instead of * ?

Any chance of giving your post a title and making it a sticky? I'd like to locate (or someone)
    a good article pertaining to this, as I found it very informative.

Thanks for putting up the question ICE, and again for your response LWMark. :cool:

Edit : Actually, this is only a small part of the "pay attention to" equation.
    I found this while searching : Netinformations Internet Computer Guide.

In addition, I have updated my "resources" at the bottom of my post. Comment's.... :D

GF

Last edited: Oct 1, 2004
  8. the mul

the mul Registered Member

The problem was due to popups being blocked in outpost, but all is working fine and u will see this with this picture, I have enabled popups for this site.

Many thanks

THE MUL

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

10. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Recently I read a note by you suggesting a more discerning use of wildcards as they apply to "included domains",
    namely those sites in the trusted zone. I have adjusted mine accordingly.

Looking at my restricted sites, I understand more clearly why the wildcard is used. Makes good sense!
    Thanks for the reply, and the page Bubba. :cool:

GF

11. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Your Welcome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.