PG 3, Beta 2 and NIS 2005

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by siliconman01, Sep 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

Thus far PG 3, Beta 2 and Norton Internet Security 2005 seem to be playing in the same stadium without any conflicts. My XP-SP2 system boots up fine with NIS 2005 activated and ALL of the options in NIS 2005 turned ON.

One of the new features in NIS 2005 is a log that shows Alerts when an unauthorized pgm attempts to access any NIS module. This log is showing total blocks of all attempts by DCSUserProt.exe to tamper with the NIS modules. So NIS is protecting itself and blocking Process Guard. NIS also blocks TrojanHunter Guard 4.0 access attempts.

Anyhow....thus far PG3, Beta 2 appears to "have ignition" on my system. Good job, Jason, et all. :rolleyes: ;) I wasn't able to use Beta 1 because of the NIS conflict problem.

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Good to here Siliconman01,
    Do you think that the blocking that Norton does is related to your other thread about CPU utilisation?

3. siliconman01

Yes, it most definitely is. I just found two modules in NIS 2005 that go bonkers when Protection is enabled. ccEvtMgr.exe and SPBBCSVC.exe run at 0% CPU utilization with PG 3 Protection OFF. They jump to 10-18% consistently when PG 3 Protection is ON.

I tried removing all the NIS 2005 modules from PG's Protection list and this makes no difference. PG 3 must still be pounding on them even if they are not part of the protection list.

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hmm, I cannot really help on this one as I do not run Norton, hopefully other users will experience the same problem and Jason can nail it.

Thanks for your report. Pleas let us know if you find out the casuse.

Pilli

5. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hi,

if you disable the software protection in the AntiVirus, does the problem still occurs ?
    NAV2005 includes an option to try to protect itself from malwares attacks, may be it is conflicting with PG.

regards,

gkweb.

6. siliconman01

You hit the nail on the head, gkweb. By turning off the software protection in NIS, the CPU utilization drops back to normal. I'll just let PG do all the protecting for NIS modules. :) I was just coming back on the forum to give my findings which are what you asked.

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Good news siliconman01! - DCS have said for a while that more security programs will try to protect themselves and that they hoped that the developers allow the guard options to be switched off, as they are nearly all vulnerable to attacks that PG is not ;)

Advanced Process Termination can kill many programs with such inbuilt guards.

Thanks. Pilli

8. siliconman01

Yep, Pilli, I am quite comfortable with PG protecting NIS ! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.