Mozilla Firefox 1.0 PR --[12-9-04]

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by NICK ADSL UK, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Ron, hi...

Do you have TabBrowser Extension installed and is it working.
    I won't install new version unless I can have that particular extension running.

Actually here is screenie of my extensions, if you have any of those do they still work.

I also noticed you have NoiaXtreme Theme, :D :D so at least I will be a happy camper with that.

Just that I have never had a problem with 9.03 and don't want to screw up at this stage.

I've tried installing TabBrowser in couple other friends PC's and getting the top 'ScrollBar' to work properly when multiple TABS opened seemed to be a hit and miss affair. Work on some, not on others. It's working on mine here, and would hate to have that feature lost as well. :(

TAS.... Thanks :D

Attached Files:

• 107.GIF
      107.GIF
      File size:
      28 KB
      Views:
  2. dog

dog Guest

Hey Tas, ;)

Yes, the tabbrowser extension works, as well does the adblock nightly from your list. Another that I use, not on your list also works without issue is, all in one mouse gestures.

HTH,

dog - *puppy*

3. Tassie_Devils

Hi dog *puppy*

Thanks for the feedback. I shall give it a try in the next couple of days then.
    I still have 0.93 .exe to reinstall if any probs.
    I will uninstall FF first, but leave the profile under Application Data so all settings, etc. should 'take'....I hope.... hate having to reimport everything again.

Cheers, TAS

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Tas,

Some of the extensions aren't ready yet.

I tried Tabbrowser in an earlier version. It wouldn't work well for me.

Most everything can be updated from the browser. That feature is working most of the time.

I notice you have Firesomething. That is a really useful extension!! :D Much fun.

Check the themes and extensions pages. They are updated daily.

This is what I have so far.

Attached Files:

5. chew

chew Registered Member

I've decided to upgrade to Firefox 1.0PR yesterday for me and my gf and everything is running smoothly. We are Safe Mode users ...

But after seeing the nice extension from you guys ... I am tempted to mess around with some extensions soon ... :D

So I will search around before I install them.

;)

6. Tassie_Devils

Hi Chew.... yep, they are fun....

3 extensions I absolutely love:

TabBrowser Extension [note tabs, scroll bar in screen shot for multiple tabs]
    FireSomething [note the name of my Browser top right, :D ]
    Noia eXtreme Theme... see the button, scroll bar, nice colours.

Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

• 108.GIF
      108.GIF
      File size:
      19.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  7. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Works for me....BTW interesting site.
    After that we should plan a trip to the UK to visit our friends there....besides...i hate to admit it...i prefere me beer at cellar temperature
    :)

8. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

Well all to say depends what you drink...

But I like the beer they got in Amsterdam :)

9. stalker

stalker Registered Member

Hello

1. I am not sure, but I think it is also recommended, somewhere on www.mozilla.org, for those who use installers, that they uninstall previous version first, delete folders, and then install new version (optionally, I would also search for left-overs in registry, and reboot after making all these changes)

Yeah, it is because of all these problems (well, it is one of the reasons) with upgrading, updating installed software, I prefer "non-setup" usage.

2. In Firefox's and Thunderbird's case, that means to use .zip files, rather than .exe installer.

After first program execution, they surely both writes to registry, same as both "setup/install" veriants, but when you upgrade, it is clearly stated on Mozilla.org, that you musn't copy new version into same directory as previous is already installed.

So you simply backup bookmarks.html, user.js, prefs.js, cookies.txt, cookperm.txt, hostperm.1, signons.txt, key3.db files to some "safe" location, delete old installation's directory, create new folder, extract/copy new release, restore backuped files, and that's about it !!

Cheers all

10. The second sentence might or might not be true, but as for opera....

Whenever someone mentions Firefox, a certain member cannot resist plugging Opera and running down Firefox even though it's clear that member doesn't know much about Firefox.

See for example,
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=48205

Msg 2.

I'm sure a search of Bigc and firefox can uncover many more examples.

That's okay, browsers are a very religious thing lol

11. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am useing firefox right now, and I do have the right to express my opinion about a piece of software. I have not bashed or said that firefox is no good. in fact see my post #16 here it is just that I have preferences the same as you do.

bigc

Last edited: Sep 17, 2004
  12. jackfox

jackfox Guest

I really doubt that. What ever registry changes made by Firefox's installers are minimal and will not affect the functioning of the browser. At best, I remember a registry fix built in that allows flash or maybe shockwave to work, but that was ages ago.

The advise is not to OVERWRITE the old browser files with the newer one.

I (and many others) have happily, run 2 different versions of firefox in different directories.

I prefer the non-setup usuage, mainly because I don't really need a uninstaller/installer.

Indeed this is the biggie! You *can* and usually should reuse your profile though.

I haven't used an installer for a long time, but doesn't uninstalling give you the option to keep your profiles?

I personally backup my profiles anyway, this is very good practice espically when you install lots of extensions to play with.

You might also want to backup the files in your firefox plugin and search plugin folders so you don't need to redownload search engines and plugins everytime you change firefox versions.

Cheers all[/QUOTE]

13. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Personally I am sticking with 0.9.3 until it gets to RC1. Though, 1.0PR on my 98SE machine runs smoothly, but it has a few glitches (Like the pop up stopper won't turn off for me, for some odd reason - Even if I add a site to allow, or turn it off completly.)

14. stalker

That's exactly what I said, well it seems we agree.

I reuse those settings, stored in files that I mentioned in previous post (I got the lost somewhere in Mozilla's docs), for others, I simply set all the important stuff again (performance and security stuff in about:config and under Tools -- Options), it takes less than 5 minutes to set all my four profiles (the default one with 2-3 extensions, and two "extra" profiles, that are without additional extensions, clean and fast

/EDIT: I use Firefox with MOZ_NO_REMOTE path varable set.

I remeber having some problems when I tried to resore "too much" things. It is that, you never know where in some configuration file, there is also some path stored (or something that was "specific" to previous installation) , and you put Firefox to some other folder after upgrading or reinstallation

But anyway, I really do not know why one "should reuse" user profile though

Last edited: Sep 19, 2004
  15. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Fellow Creatures,
    First of all lets stop giving BigC a hard time. One of the kindest most helpful creatures in our forest. OPERA I use it too.

I noticed a single line here at the Wilders that said,"most here seem to favor FireFox". My boss at work told me the other day it was wonderful. So well with out hardly any research I set a restore point and downloaded to desktop and installed. I decided to start with a clean slate so I told it to import nothing from IE and I have never had it on my computer before. So far no problems I am on it now. Does PR mean PreRelease. You mean this is in a sort of beta state releaseo_O? I got lots of questions. I will say this it is fast. Wow!!!! If it is not really ready for regular dummy like me maybe I should uninstall and wait. Or do go back on restore point? What do you think. :eek:

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Use it! It won't hurt a thing. :)

17. bigc73542

I guess I will have to admit that the more I use firefox the more I like it. But it still runs second :D . No all kidding aside some of the negativity towards mozilla browsers was contrived. I have used mozilla browsers ever since Internet explorer just released version 4. And all of them worked well, the only thing was netscape was a little bloated. So I will quit throwing opera at you although it is also a good browser.

*puppy* bigc *puppy*

18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

"There never were in the world two opinions alike, no more than two hairs or two grains; the most universal quality is diversity"

Michel de Montaigne (French philosopher and writer. 1533-1592)

Just about sums it up. :)

19. bigc73542

Without diversity the world would be a boring place to live. ;)

20. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Hey BigC............i say keep throwing it
    :D

21. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I like that. Very true. I will use it then. BigC must be reading my mind to I wanted to replace Netscape 7.1, and on this machine run IE, OPERA and Firefox. Thanks. ;)

22. Jackfox

Jackfox Guest

And what about profiles with lots of extensions? Using the files you mentioned below, you not only have to download and reinstall the extension but also have to reset the configs for the extensions. If you are using adblock, you will need to reimport the adblock list for example. If you reuse the profile all this is automatically retained.

Sounds to me you would be better off just reusing the profiles!

Doesn't sound like anything that applies now. Extensions now are fully installed in the profiles and do not point to other paths.

In which versions did you experience problems? In the past (pre-0.9), the danger of reusing profiles was due to extensions. The extension handling system was not as robust then, and there was a chance that the extensions would break something. Currently, the system errs on the side of caution and extensions are automatically disabled if not explictly marked as okay.

Because I said so of course.

23. stalker

Hola ...

Ops, sorry jackfox, I forgot to mention, I use only one additional extesnion (beside the default one DOM Inspector), because of my computing principles, but as the most important, it seems I need to emphasize again - I am always reffering (on forum's discussions) only to my system's specs, conditions, particular my way of PC-usage (minimalism principle), my level of knowledge, etc.

If we're talking about upgrading, I suppose not (in case of .zip package with no installation), because of that article in Mozilla's FAQ, or somewhere, but maybe you're right, and it is possible to restore the whole previous profile setups. Don't know actually, and also, I do not care much.

It seems on a lots of forums, there is always one guy, that do not understand this. Rather read my post again ...

It is you, who say what one should do.

Cheers all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.