Post from a Very Satisfied Newbie

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by nigneil146, Aug 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nigneil146

nigneil146 Registered Member

Hi Everyone.

I'd just like to say that I downloaded the trail version of NOD32 the other day and am extremely satisfied. As a long time user of norton (I know, I know) all I have to say is WOW!!

I found the extra settings for NOD sticky that helped me out a lot. I also found a whole lot of very helpful information here in your forums.

As soon as the trail is over, I am buying a license.

Thanks for the great forum and for the great information here. I have a lot of reading to do the next few days. Thanks again.

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Good to see, and welcome to Wilders, enjoy your stay here...

Cheers :D

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Just a little note...
    Its not "trail" but "trial" :)
    Trial Version is version which expires after specific period of time.
    Take care :)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2004
  4. sard

sard Registered Member

I’m also impressed with NOD32 and how little impact on system performance there is. I’d always taken it for granted but after trialling Panda for a few weeks for a friend who wanted a good free AV, the difference is very noticeable.

With Panda the same amount of ram was used, but my PC was slow to start-up, shutdown and UT2004 was significantly slower to start-up and load levels. Maybe they should start marketing NOD as the AV for Gamers :D

5. fredra

fredra Registered Member

I used the 2.11 beta and then purchased a license. I must say (coming from NAV) that it works very well. It found stuff that was on my box that NAV never told me about..lol :)
    However, there are a few bits of functionality that I don't understand.
    - Quarantine
    I was under the impression (and I will stand corrected, if my impression was incorrect) that this means that when the AV finds a viri the AV removes it and puts it in "quarantine", and doesn't leave the infected file on the PC. How does NOD handle quarantine?
    - Outgoing email checker
    I am unable to clarify this aspect. Does NOD check outgoing email?...or ONLY incoming?
    - Slight delay when opening web pages
    IMHO this is NOT a major drawback, as I presume NOD's IMON is doing a check before the display of the page.
    If anyone can clarify the above it would be appreciated.
    There are more good points with NOD, than bad.....and I will not repeat all the good points as they have already been covered in various threads in here.
    Cheers :)

6. sard

sard Registered Member

Only incoming and only POP3 :(

7. Blackspear

Unfortunately you will in this case have to be corrected, and it is not your part that needs correcting, it is Eset...

More info here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=38214&highlight=quarantine

Hope this helps...

8. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Regarding outgoing mail, you can review these posts (among several others) for some good discussion. Personally, I see no need for it.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=41736

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=36812

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=38474

9. sard

sard Registered Member

I don't see it as a priority. Support for protocols other than POP3 is much more important, but there is still the possibility of you unknowingly forwarding an infected archive because you haven't accessed it so AMON never scanned it.

10. fredra

fredra Registered Member

To sard...optigrab...blackspear
    Thanks for the feedback and the links, it is appreciated.
    Although ESET has choosen to err on the side of caution with regard to the "quarantine" issue, I wish they would re-consider that methodology and utilize "quarantine" in the true sense of the word...placing all infected files in "quarantine". I doubt that will happen after reading all the other threads, it seems they will stick to their original bussines plan criteria.
    I also understand the reason behind checking only incoming mail, however, if I maybe bold enough to take a scenario of a worm/trojan getting "IN" (due to ineptitude on the part of the user) and that worm/trojan begins to send out infected emails using the address book, then nothing is there to stop such actions.
    I am not trying to start another thread on this already covered issue, just expressing my opinions. I hope that is allowed and it does not break any rules :D

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education
    --Mark Twain
    Cheers :)

11. Blackspear

I have NOT a single problem with how Eset implement Quarantine, I do however object to the use of the word Quarantine, in this case it is purely misleading, I have stated many-a-time this MUST be corrected, and changed to something like, "make safe copy to allow further analysis by Eset".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.