Greetings, Thoughts, etc.

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by luv2bsecure, Aug 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Luv2BSecure here! It's been a long time. Some of the lifers here might remember me....I was even a moderator for a short time. Strangely, not sure when. I have some memory holes in events. Not really information, but time and events are a little washed out at times. Oh, the reason why.... I have gone from one calamity in my family to the other. First, my wife. Then, ME - twice! Survived an accident and a serious illness. I don't recommend it to my worst of enemies in this world.

I basically "dropped out" of life after my accident and it was on the heals of that when they happened to find the cancer. In fact, without the accident, I might not be alive today. Anyway, I am just now feeling well enough to give much thought to participating in much of anything. However, during my long recuperation, I have read and kept up with industry newsletters, etc. - online and off.

I haven't checked WILDER'S in SOOO long. I should say how impressed I am with the look of the board. Very nice!

Enough of me.....one of my favorite subjects - keyloggers. I've read several posts about this and thought I would reply. Much has changed in this anti-keylogger game in the past year or so. All positive, for the most part, as detection rates are much higher using the right software.

I have tried too many anti-keyloggers to count (on my own and in my former job) and believe that Webroot's SPY SWEEPER, used in conjunction with SpyCop, SPS&D, and AdAware is as good a protection as you'll get. Remember, I'm talking keyloggers (or snoopware) and not necessarily adware/spyware. The above combo might be overkill for adware.

I tested 27 trial versions of snoopware again recently. While all were on my system, SpyCop (I've used it for a couple of years) caught 16. SPY SWEEPER, I kid you not, detected every single one: 27 out of 27. That truly was impressive. SS&D caught the "most used" of the bunch. Adaware caught a few. But used together (too bad that's a must) it's the best we can do.

The most impressive thing about Webroot (Spy Sweeper) is their commitment to updates and frequent additions to their detection files - and their focus on keyloggers/snoopware.

BTW, I got tired of the false positives from Aluria's Eliminator and Pest Patrol. Really too bad. They can't hold a candle to the other two in screening for keyloggers. I have always liked PP, but the rate of fp has been really high of late.

I am wanting to reply to a couple of posts regarding encryption software and am anxious. It's still my first love. That reminds me, The "Intro To Freeware Encryption Tools" needs an update! I should write a new one as so much has changed. (It's been two years since I wrote that - ugh) A couple of the products changed some things and I wouldn't recommend them any longer because of that, and there are now new tools available that are better.

Glad to see so many of my friends still posting away at Wilder's!

John Little
    Luv2BSecure

2. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Good to see you back John.....Stay well... :)

Cochise, :cool:

3. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Hi, I do not know you but it sure is good to hear someone fight back and doing good after all this. I wish you all the best and hopefully I can read some of your reviews.
    take care.

Opt.

4. Etsnuffy

Etsnuffy Registered Member

Even though I am a rather new member here I have been reading these forums for a long time. I have enjoyed reading some of your insightful posts in the world of privacy. I look foward to reading more now that you are back.

Sorry to hear about your illness and accident but I hope all is well now with you and family.

Thanks for the review of Spy Sweeper...Looks like I may try it out... :)

5. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi Again John (L2bs),

I just found this thread out of ten-4, and see you are "In The House!" So sorry to hear of your setbacks (personally know where your com'in from), better to hear you've hung in there. I saw the mention by members who know you, but just kept to a friendly greeting.​
    I'm sure your anxious to get underway (sounds like you've got some good experience and practical advice for guests and members of the forums), but hope LWM will allow me a small window to be "off topic", at least tonight.​
    I have a passage for you by Robert Louis Stevenson I found fitting...​
    The world has no room for cowards.
    We must all be ready to toil,
    to suffer, to die. And yours is not the less noble
    because no drum beats before you
    when you go out into your daily battlefields,
    and no crowds shout about your coming
    when you return from your daily victory,
    or defeat.

I remember many choice quote's, and try to incorporate these into my daily existence. I hope this will provide you some additional "lift".

To the noble (and there are many here), and life's survivors...​

"All The Best",
    GF ;)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2004
  6. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi John...

Great to see you back and well enough to start participating in the forums again.

Take care and small steps until fully recovered. :)

All the best mate, and cheers from downunder. ;)

TAS

7. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi John,

I too am new here, but I have read some of your previous posts and enjoyed them. Thanks for the info/review on the keyloggers. These type of real world reviews are the most helpful because someone knowledgeable is able to test out a lot of programs thoroughly and give their opinions. It is much appreciated.

You like encryption too? Great, I started a thread a while ago on the top encryption algorithms. Your opinions, advice, updated knowledge, and perspective would be very welcome there. You may also be aware of the new DiamondCS CryptoSuite program.

I wish you Health, Strength, and Knowledge! :)

8. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hiya John, that's good news to see you back here -- sorry about your sad news, but good to see you back posting, hope all will be well now.
    We surely kept your seat near the fire and beers and coffees still passed around.
    Good you kept up with the keyloggers and spyware fighting, you can just jump back in where you like, lots to do in that field.
    Anyway, welcome back!

9. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

:eek: :D HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII HUGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HMMM spy sweeper havnt tryed that one yet thx for the head ups

10. luv2bsecure

It wasn't "official" until the welcome-back greeting from Blaze! :) :) :)

Thank you!!! It's getting easier. The more I get into this and type and think - the better I feel. It's good "Exercise" for the brain fog I have experienced. Thanks everybody!

John
    Luv2BSecure

11. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

John,

I missed this thread, but not as much as I missed you. Welcome back, old friend.

Regards,

Pieter

12. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Good to see you wandering the halls of Wilders again John, looking forward to following your posts and threads...

Cheers :D

13. luv2bsecure

Pieter,

It's good to be here again and sharing with old friends. Thanks for your kind comments. But, 11,307 posts? :eek: What's that called - Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? :) In all seriousness, it's good to see you still posting away and helping so many.

Blackspear,

Thank you for the welcome back. I appreciate it very much. Old friends are the best friends and I feel like so many of you are family that I have been away from for too long.

John
    Luv2BSecure

14. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Luv2bSecure,

Thanks for your informative review and congratulations on surviving Real Life! (that's why I think it's safer to stay in front of a monitor 24 hours a day - it's just changing that damn catheter that's the problem!).

One omission from your list I'd suggest adding is process monitoring software like Process Guard and System Safety Monitor. While not targetting software keyloggers specifically, either of them should provide an alert or prevent their operation.

Unfortunately, this does leave hardware keyloggers to deal with. An interesting read on their potential (ab)use can be found in the free Fyodor chapter from Stealing the Network: How to Own a Continent.

15. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Welcome back john

16. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi Luv2bsecure :)
    glad your back--my best to you
    rita

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.