Suspend, Stand-By, Sleep, and Hibernate power states/modes

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by stalker, Aug 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stalker

stalker Registered Member

Hey all, I am a bit confused about all this ...

1. My first question is simple - what is the difference between Suspend, Stand-By, and Sleep power (saving) states/modes, if any ??

The thing is, I remember disabling some of this options (one, or all) for my PC some time ago, and I completely forgot about it.
    So when I want to test my system, and "put it to sleep" with some PassMark's (i.e., http://www.passmark.com) testing utility called simply Sleeper, I always got one message poping-up, saying (note: unluckily, I forgot to wrote down the actual message displayed)

The (this and this) driver (service, setting, or something) is preventing system entering (this and this) power state. Enable it again ...

Though, the strange thing was, when I try it yesteday with my shell's command "Suspend" (bb4win - Blackbox for Windows), it sure work again, and I am sure, I never enabled it again.

2. Second, Hibernate power state. I have problems lately with FILE_SYSTEM BSOD on shutdown/reboots, so I am avoiding restarting PC, if not really neccessary (after "major" software uninstallings, registry modifications that require reboot, etc.), therefore, I decided to take advantage of this mode, if already available, and bundled to Windows. So I enabled it again in powercfg.cpl, executed shell's Hibernate command, and PC seemed to be actually normally hibernated (that progress-bar reaching the end, and PC was shut-down)

But here is the problem. I suspect it was actually shut-down, and not "just" hibernated. Because nor mouse-move, nor key-stroke didn't awoke it, the only thing that remained was clicking on power button on PC's casing, as I usually turn-on "normally" shut-down computer. After strange (uncommon) sound, the PC was normally started, OS booted, but with nothing "restored" (programs running, desktop settings, etc), as I imagine, or as it should be ...

But then I read in Windows XP's Help and Support Center - HelpCtr.exe:

Hibernation is a state in which your computer shuts down to save power but first saves everything in memory on your hard disk. When you restart the computer, your desktop is restored exactly as you left it. Use hibernation to save power when you will be away from the computer for an extended time while working.

So, it seems it is the right way turning it on again with key on PC's casing, because of "When you restart the computer" part, though as I understand not with "power-on/off-key", but "restart" key. Am I right, am I wrong ??

Any explanation greatly appreciated !!

2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Stalker;

I honestly do not know the answer to this. But I suspect that Suspend will allow you to cleanly remove a laptop from a docking station. While the Stand-By mode will put the computer in a power save state. The reason why I believe this is that my desktop does not have the Suspend mode, while my laptop does. Wish that I could tell you for certain.

Close Hauled

3. stalker

stalker Registered Member

Well, it happened again (if I can say "luckily", cause now I can post the screenshot), without me changing any related settings. As you can see, it says, it is cause of Printer Port Logical Interface device preventing it. Strange though, cause I do not have installed any printer device, with services related to printing disabled, like Print Spooler service, etc.

Here is that error message window:

http://www.satyrhosts2.greatnow.com/PrinterPortLogicalInterface.gif

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2004
  4. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Stalker;

Please check your application log and post any errors. Also, please check this out:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;837115

See if you have any of the errors mentioned in the above site.

Close Hauled

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.