Kingsoft Office Suite Free 2013 is out + guide how to change dictionaries

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Romagnolo1973, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Romagnolo1973

Romagnolo1973 Registered Member

Kingsoft Office Suite Free 2013 is out
    http://www.ksosoft.com/product/office-free.html

Adding some new features:
    http://www.ksosoft.com/office-2013-has-been-released.html

Difference between free and paid version:
    http://www.ksosoft.com/product/compare.html

As you can see there are 2 new skin available but it still continue been focused on english language, this is a problem for not english user :mad: but ....there is a solution

If you use different language:
    This is how to change dictionaries with spell check perfectly working :thumb: (is not possible change GUI language but I think everyone knows basic english so this is not a great issue)

First of all go to Control Pannel - Folder Options - View and set to show hidden files (well to tell the true I don't know if you need this because is my set till the first time I use a os, but if you can't see a folder this is the reason why)

Download your language dictionary from Apache Open Office Dict. here
    http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/dictionaries
    Is an OXT file, so open your zipper (7zip, bandizip or others you use) and drag and drop the oxt in the zipper main window.
    Now you can see all the patterns of that file. Open the language pattern, I'm italian and mine is it_IT, for others could be de_DE or fr_FR or es_ES and so on...
    Extract in your desktop only 2 files, one with extension dic and other with extension aff that you see (in my case it_IT.dic and it_IT.aff)
    Rename these 2 as main (in my case main.dic and main.aff)
    Now you are ready to put this 2 "main" files in these location ( x86 if like me you have a 64bit os)
    Program Files (x86)\Kingsoft\Kingsoft office\office6\data
    Program Files (x86)\Kingsoft\Kingsoft office\office6\dicts
    This will overwrite the main english spell check so is better if you move the originals to other pattern or rename as old, just in case something goes wrong
    Now you can open Kingsoft office writer and you can see that it check your native language and it use your language in spreadsheets and presentation too :D

For manage dicts is better switch to the classical skin (icon at the top right) and go to: Tools > Options > Spelling > Custom Dictionaries > Add

In case of future update I think Kingsoft will replace our dictionaries so probably we have to made this trick again.

Other Tricks : Clean the context "New" menu
    Kingsoft add a lot off useless entries on the NEW context menu, you can delete all this entries leaving only the basic entries (doc, xls, ppt, rtf, txt) simply look at this guide http://www.davescomputertips.com/2013/04/removing-items-from-the-new-right-click-context-menu/ and delete (make a export backup as suggested just in case)"shell new" pattern of this useless file extensions managed by Kingsoft office: .et - .dps - .wps - .pptx - .docx - .xlsm - .xlsx
    Just a clarification: Kingsoft can only read but not write docx, xlsx, ppts, xlsm so have this entries on the context menu is clearly useless; same appens with et, dps and wps that are kingsoft own file extensions and can be used only if some users have Kingsoft Office installed, thats why I prefere remove this entries and leave context menu more clean

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  2. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Loving the new features, as well as the new modern UI

Thanks for the info, updated :thumb:

3. guest

guest Guest

Oh, I thought they abandon it. Well, thanks for the info. :thumb:

4. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

The spell check does not work. I tried it. I guess I will go back to ashampoo office 2010.

5. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Did you try the in-built support.?
    I find the kingsoft support to be very good.

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Grazie per l'informazione Romagnolo! I think it is a great free program really compatible with MS Office, does anyone know the main differences with the paid version?

7. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Visit this link http://www.ksosoft.com/product/compare.html to find out.

8. Romagnolo1973

I have tried the language trick in 3 pcs ai it works 100%, retry step by step, it's simply replace dic e aff file in the 2 patterns with the two new files renamed as main

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

10. Romagnolo1973

a little update available, version 9.1.0.4058 is out now.
    I think some stability fixes

11. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

Giveaway of the Day - Kingsoft Office Suite Professional 2013
    -http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/kingsoft-office-suite-professional-2013/

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2013
  12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Looks like they abandoned the Standard version, so going to this Professional giveaway.

13. Romagnolo1973

I have tried it and the trick works perfectly, now I have Kingsoft Office 2013 with Italian spell check:thumb:
    Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2013
  14. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

What do you mean they've abandoned it?

15. moontan

moontan Registered Member

how does this compare to let's say Libre Office?

i know Kingsoft does not require Java, contrary to Libre and Open.
    so not having to install Java is a plus, imo.

especially if i have to recommend an alternative to noob friends who i don't want to expose to Java vulnerabilities.

16. Romagnolo1973

Libre doesn't need java for work, it is needed only for some macro and other things but not for basic works
    But IMHO Kingsoft is better than Libre and OO, not only for the GUI but even for Office compatibility (docx and xlsx)

17. moontan

moontan Registered Member

tnx for the info m8! :)

i will recommend it then.

18. d0t

d0t Registered Member

19. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I just installed the free version, since I read the Professional one on GOTD is only a 1 year license. It feels very responsive and quick. I love the interface. Is it really more compatible with Office formats the LibreOffice/OpenOffice?

20. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Kingsoft is my choice for office software and i find it excellent with a good interface and the kingsoft support by email has always been top-notch.

I highly recommend this office suite.

21. J_L

J_L Registered Member

22. Yakuman

Yakuman Registered Member

Even though this is supposed to be free does anyone else see "trial" version in the Help/About?

23. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I've got a little annoyance now. Content with Kingsoft Office, I uninstalled LibreOffice. Now all my DOCX files reverted their icon to the WordPad one with just some gray lines and a DOCX underneath. Even though I have the file type set to always open with Kingsoft Writer, the icons did not change to the Kingsoft icon. Not a huge issue but it is annoying me. I tried changing the default back to Wordpad and then back to Kingsoft, as well as deleting the icon cache and restarting my computer, but nothing worked.

EDIT: Just noticed a big problem. It can't save in the 2007/10/13 Office formats. Guess I will stick with LibreOffice until this changes.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  24. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I also think Kingsoft Office Suite 2013 is a great free application that is really compatible with MS Office. I only use Writer and Presentation on one computer, and they can be opened without any problems by MS Office 2013 on another computer.

25. Romagnolo1973

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.