Both disks being incorrectly included

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by flano77, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flano77

flano77 Registered Member

Hi All,

Well I have no idea on this one sorry. I have a PC with 2 disks.
    1 x SSD.............240GB Capacity...120GB data (all OS, programs)
    1 x RAID0 HDDs.5450GB Capacity..1450GB data (all data, user folders, rec TV, etc)
    1.jpg

All I want to do is take a weekly image of my whole SSD. But even though it was working for a while it now ends up with both disks included in the image backup (1.3TB image in total).

So I thought it must have been to do with MBR or pagefile or something similar related to Disk0 but located on Disk1 so paragon feels it needs Disk1 to be able to do full restore of Disk0. But I read that pagefiles are ignored.
    2.jpg

Below is what I have selected when I end up with my 1.3TB image. It looks right to me.
    3.jpg

So this ‘says’ it will backup Disk0 and result in about 97GB image which is fine. If I run this backup now then all is fine. However to problem comes when I select to schedule it. Once scheduled I then select Run Now and this is what I see. And yes it does backup all 1.3TB
    4.jpg

I’ve tried deselecting Disk0 and only selecting the OS (C:\) partition and this works OK but not really what I was after. The only things that cross over Disk0 and Disk1 are that I have changed all the %userprofile% folder locations to be on the D:\ drive but Paragon should not care about this would it? (I know old Windows system image did care but I guess it knew they were needed for full windows restore).

The trick to all this is that it did work after I first installed this machine a few weeks ago but it only recently decided to back up both disks for me. And for the life of me I cannot think of anything of any significance I have changed since it last worked. I had this same issue on my old PC but didn’t care too much at the time as D:\ was not so large 

I am sure someone will say, Flano you’re an idiot o_O because……

Please do so :) And yes I am sure I didn’t accidentally tick the box for both disks ;)
    Cheers,
    Flano..

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Just something to check since I really don't deal with scheduled backups. Is there any chance you have a backup task with the same name already and it is set to backup both disks. In other words, the program is running the wrong thing.

The only reason I mention this is that I have a support ticket concerning archive verification where I select an archive in File View and the Verify routine verifies the archive with the same name that is in the database, not the one I desired.

3. flano77

thx seekforever - being a new install I was pretty sure there was no other jobs. However I just checked Paragon schedule and Win8 Scheduled Tasks but both only contain the 1 schedule for the single disk. Well at least I asked it to do single disk only. Can you interpret below script?

// Backup partition or disk
    img = "D:/BACKUPS/XPS 8500/Paragon02/Paragon02_$(YEAR)_$(MONTH)$(DAY).pbf"
    select disk "813158A0"
    select partitions all
    options
    cmp = 10
    mfs = 4096000
    notempfiles
    label = "No comment"
    autonames
    hotbackup lockimpossible
    tempdrive C
    usevss
    index = "D:/BACKUPS/XPS 8500/Paragon02/Paragon02_$(YEAR)_$(MONTH)$(DAY).pfi"
    store

I presume the select disk "813158A0" is the key source reference. How do I know what 813158A0 means?
    Cheers

4. seekforever

I have never really gotten into scripting but if that is the script then it looks like it should be OK. The funny number in Select Disk is some identifier but just how it is derived, I don't know but obviously it means something to Paragon.

So assuming it is for the correct disk, the next line tells it to handle All Partitions on the disk which makes sense since you selected all the partitions on the disk.

For it to do what you are seeing, I would say there should be another "Select Disk" line and another partition reference in the script and they just aren't there.

So based on my limited knowlege, I don't know what is causing your problem. For fun, you might try repeating it but not selecting the System Reserved Partition. This would cause it to list all the partitions to be backed up in the script and may or may not do it correctly.

There are some people on this forum who are very knowlegeable about the scripting so hopefully you will get some help.

5. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

Could you please give me just a bit more detail as to which version of the software you are using as well as the version number, and also please what OS and architecture you are running on. The next thing just to clarify that "magic number" is a disk identifier unique to the disk so it runs the correct drive. There was an older build that had this issue with the scheduled task not backing up the correct task. If you can verify the build by clicking the help and about, I can direct you to where to get the updated build.

6. flano77

Hi Matt,
    Version is from the web a few weeks ago.
    Untitled.jpg
    Running on Windows 8 Pro 64-bit.
    Architecture?
    Flano..

7. seekforever

Architecture: Maybe Intel or AMD?

8. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

refers to 32 or 64 bit and that version is not supported for Windows 8, I would recommend updating and see if you are still running into that issue.

9. flano77

OK thanks. Well I'm on Windows 8 64 bit. I will update to different version if there is a better one Matt - thanks.

10. ancalagon

ancalagon Registered Member

I'm having the same issue. I think the problem started for me when I upgraded to PBR 2012 Free (from PBR 10.0).

Here's my info:

Paragon Backup & Recovery™, version 10.1.19.15786 (28.05.12 ) Free
    Component versions:
    hdm.dll, version 10.1, release 19, build 15786
    biont.dll, version 10.1, release 19, build 15786
    biont.sys, version 10.1, release 19, build 15786
    Paragon Base Services Library, version 1.1, build 14386 (28.05.12 )

Win7 Pro 64

I did a bit of fiddling with running a backup and scheduling the same backup (and forcing the script to run), and I don't think the problem is that the wrong disk identifier is being set in the script. Instead, I think Paragon is ignoring the identifier, and always backing up the disk with the largest logical number.

I have 3 disks. I tried to back up each individually without scheduling, and they all backed up the correct disk. I then followed the same process for each disk but instead of running it immediately, scheduled it and then chose to "Run Now" each script from Scheduled Tasks. No matter which script I ran, Paragon always estimated the same size archive (which matched the estimated archive size of Disk 2), and started backing up Disk 2.

When I looked at the scripts, each script had a different identifier.
    Disk 0 = FFE84CC8
    Disk 1 = F03FB1BC
    Disk 2 = E8E141A2-2320-40F8-B99D-0CFE608D1B24

Matt, is there a more recent build than the one I'm using (where this bug is fixed)? If so, where can I get it?

Thanks!

11. ancalagon

ancalagon Registered Member

[bump] :)

Matt, any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.