Spysweeper vs. Pest Patrol

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Ailric, Jun 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ailric

Ailric Guest

Does anyone here have some experience with these two products? If so, would you please post your thoughts concerning these. I want to add extra protection to my system and they seem pretty good.

Thanks. :)

2. LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp Registered Member

Hi Ailric

Over here at Luthor Corp we have tried both Spysweeper and Pest Patrol. I have found Pest Patrol to be an ok product, not the best anti-trojan on the market, but helpful none the less. One of the problems with PP is it would seem to be full of false positives, and that means you need to be careful of what you delete with it. PP does seem to find some keyloggers though. But probably not as many as Spycop would. Spybot and Ad-Aware seem to be better at finding spyware and adware than either PP or Spysweeper. Spysweeper does have some false positives too, though it doesn't seem quite as bad as PP in this respect. They both seem to be decent apps. But if you are looking for the best possible anti-trojans i would recommend TDS-3, TrojanHunter, and Bo-Clean in that order. For spyware Spybot and Ad-Aware seem to be the best. And for keyloggers Spycop. I hope you find this info helpful.

3. Ailric

Ailric Guest

Thanks for the info, Luthor.

4. Moe

Moe Guest

Pest Patrol is one of the best antitrojan apps you can find in my tests. False positives are no problem, just go into configuration and select what you want to scan for and not scan for. By default it scans P2P programs and junk. 125,000 signatures in PP too.

I use both PP and Spysweeper for total coverage.

5. Delirium

Delirium Guest

I have not used Spysweeper before, but have tested pest patrol for a while. I was interested in the detection of keyloggers in particular, as i found many users sending them by attaching the keyloggers to games.

One of those that gave me trouble was the Perfect Keylogger. As far as i know, many antivirus programs do not detect it. The last time i tested, Norton Antivirus 2004 detects it if u use the extended signature database. However, that only worked for the scanner, and the realtime monitor detects nothing. This is particularly disturbing for me because most users i know use norton antivirus, and no one would be doing a full system scan every single day. By the time they detect the keylogger, it may have been too late.
    KAV also does not detect the keylogger unless the extended database is used. The realtime protection works fine though.

Back to Pest Patrol....
    After I installed Perfect Keylogger on my system, I attempted to create a "package" for "remote deployment", by attaching the keylogger to an executable file, that will install the keylogger in stealth mode when run.

I find that Pest Patrol detects the keylogger IF and only if the default settings for the keylogger are used to attach the keylogger to an executable. If i simply change a keyword the program asks when i first installed the main program, Pest Patrol would fail to detect the keylogger. (Trojan Hunter used to have this problem too when i tested it 1-2 months ago).

After testing again just 2 weeks ago, I find the problem still exists in pest patrol. Trojan Hunter detects it perfectly now though.

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Last edited: Jul 9, 2004
  7. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

you dont mean there is a Schizophrenic snake on the loose ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.