kmode exception not handled epfwwpf.Sys

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Stoneysilence, Oct 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stoneysilence

Stoneysilence Registered Member

Been running Windows 7 and ESS 5.2.9.1 for awhile. Tonight I bought windows 8 and upgraded over windows 7.

Everything was going great until I installed Media Center (the free key they are ggiving away temporarily). Soon as that caused a reboot Iconstantly get the kmode exception not handled epfwwpf.Sys error and the system reboots. I finally got into safe mode where it instantly said upgrade failed and started uninstalling windows 8 wasting the last 3 hours of my life.

Needless to say I am a bit upset.

Anybody able to help? I am stuck posting on my Nexus 7 for the time being.

Laptop:
    Sager NP8130 purchased from Xoticpc.com
    Intel I7 2630, 1920x1080 Matte Screen, nVidia 460M, 8GB Ram, 500GB HD, Windows 7 Home

2. undies

undies Registered Member

Good day,

I am having this exact same problem. I updated to Windows 8, downloaded the most recent updates, and then ESET told me I needed to reinstall.

Ah! I forgot to update to the most recent, supposedly Windows 8 compatible, version.

I do so, and then restart. Upon restart I got the same issue you have. Consistently BSOD loop, unable to get into Windows 8. Same error as you as well.

In order to temporarily fix this issue, You need to follow these instructions to get into Safe Mode (now buried and hard to notice in Windows :cool::
    http://www.howtogeek.com/107511/how-to-boot-into-safe-mode-on-windows-8-the-easy-way/

Once in, uninstall ESET Smart security. Once you've done that, if you bother to try to reinstall this software, you will then most undoubtly get this users problem (which I now also have):
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=334861

Please keep in mind this happens also with the latest Verison 6 beta.

We will both be unable to use ESET Smart Security on our Windows 8 until this is fixed.

3. Stoneysilence

Sad panda.

Hope they get this fixed, I just re-upped my sub a few weeks ago.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It is not recommended to keep ESET installed during an upgrade to a different OS (like in this case from Windows 7 to Windows :cool:. Does uninstalling ESS completely (using the ESET Uninstaller) and installing ESS from scratch resolve the issue?

5. Stoneysilence

According to Undies a new problem which they linkedto occurs . I have not attempted to reinstall.

Just to make it clear, the problem did not occur with normal Windows 8 which worked fine. It wasn't until I tried to do the Windows Media Center upgrade which MS was giving free keys away for. When I inputted the key and it installed and rebooted then the BSOD started occurring. After uninstalling ESS I was able to install the Media Center upgrade without issue.

Guess I should state u was running Win7 64bit and upgraded to Win8 64bit.

6. Marcos

We'd appreciate if you could compress the memory dump(s), upload them to a safe location and PM me the download link. When upgrading to Windows 8, did you choose to preserve personal files, Windows settings and applications?

7. Marcos

Did you upgrade to Windows 8 from Windows 7 Home as well or you had a different edition installed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.