AppGuard 3.x 32/64 Bit

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by shadek, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I will have to send the files later today, since I am in another snapshot, which doesn't have AppGuard installed. Yes, I am on XP Pro.

I need to get some sleep, now... since it is late here.

2. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Thanks! Sometimes on XP we collide with other security applications because both products are using the same hooking method in the Kernel. The Minidump will verify that this is the cause of the problem. On Vista and Win7, we're not using this method so we have fewer conflicts (i.e. virtually none if they're made a power application) with other software products.

3. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Will one of you Sandboxie users provide me with the settings that you use to get AppGuard and Sandboxie to play well together? I have a customer that is having problems. I know they've been posted here before, but I'm having trouble locating them. Thanks!

4. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Once someone does provide the information can we make it a sticky. It seems that Appguard and sandboxie are becoming a popular combo. It would be good to have a guide.

5. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Dear stackz,

Many thanks and it worked like charm! :D

Best regards,

6. aladdin

Tell him to move the Sandboxie container from default "C" partition to another partition. That's all is need and it works like charm on my three computers.

Best regards,

7. aladdin

Dear Barb_C,

I just purchased Appguard about 2 days ago and I am very happy with it. We know it protects the MBR. I am also using Deep Freeze, and the recent release of Deep Freeze v7.5 which just came out, one of the new improvements is has, that it now also protects the MBR.

Do you foresee any conflict, with two different programs protecting the MBR?

Best regards,

8. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

9. aladdin

Dear Barb_C,

I am having lots of problems with the program. It appears to be full of bugs.

1. The known bug of "System Rating"
    2. On one computer I disabled the MBR Guard then rebooted, ran the System Rating test, enabled the MBR Guard and rebooted and worked like charm.
    3. Tried on another computer. By mistake disabled the Memory Guard. Couldn't enable it after several attempts and several reboots.
    4. Removed Appguard, rebooted, installed Appguard, rebooted and still the same problem.
    5. Removed Appguard with Total Uninstall, rebooted, installed Appguard, rebooted inserted the license but now the problem is MBR Guard is disabled.
    6. Did #5 several times, several reboots, too much waste of time but still cannot enable MBR Guard.

Best regards,

10. aladdin

Please note the above was done with Deep Freeze v7.3 completely uninstalled. And, the new Deep Freeze v7.5 was which protects the MBR was not installed yet.

Best regards,

11. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Hi Aladdin,

I'm sorry to hear you are having so many problems.

Try this: Uninstall AppGuard using Add or Remove Programs but DO NOT use Total Uninstall. After uninstalling AppGuard, manually delete any instances of the appguardpolicy.xml files that may still exist in the user profiles. Open the Device Manager and check that the MBR Guard Driver in the Filter Device section has been uninstalled. Reinstall AppGuard and see if things are working normally.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

12. aladdin

Dear Pegr,

Many thansk, but still no joy.

BTW, what do you mean by, "MBR Guard Driver in the Filter Device section has been uninstalled?

What I have under, Hidden Devices > Non-Plug and Play Driver, "Blue Ridge Networks FileLock mini-filter driver". This I uninstalled, rebooted and then installed Appguard again.

Best regards,

13. pegr

pegr Registered Member

AppGuard uses two drivers. The one I was referring to, located in the Filter Driver section, is the boot guard driver that protects the MBR. The one you are referring to, located in the hidden Non-Plug and Play Drivers section, is the main AppGuard driver.

It sounds as though you are going to need the assistance of BRN support to get AppGuard working the way it should do.

Kind regards

14. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

I'm sorry that you're having an issue with MBRGuard, but I wouldn't agree that the program is "full of bugs". I only see two actual issues in your six items listed above:
    1. System Rating is not working: I don't consider this a bug (unless my assumption is incorrect). Based on the error you're seeing, I would assume that for some reason the System Rating software is trying to write to the MBR. MBRGuard prevents any application from writing to the MBR and does not make exceptions.
    2. There is a problem with re-enabling MBRGuard after disabling it: Please send an email to AppGuard@BlueRidgeNetworks.com and we will try to help you re-enable it. I'm assuming that you've gone to the Advanced tab and clicked on the Enable Button after you re-installed AppGuard.
    If I've missed an issue, please also send to Blue Ridge.

BTW, even with MBRGuard disabled, AppGuard provides several protections against 0-day malware.

PEGR, thanks for trying to help Aladdin. I've been caught up in some fires (unrelated to AppGuard) today and haven't had time to check the forum.

15. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

I will have to ask a developer. I'll try to get their advice on this as well as your problem with re-enabling MBRGuard. It will be tomorrow though before I can consult with them.

Sorry I haven't been able to respond sooner. I've been involved in some fires today unrelated to AppGuard.

16. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

17. aladdin

Dear Pegr,

You are right that it installs two drivers. I checked this on my another machine. On this machine, it doesn't install anymore the Filter Driver section and for this reason it appears that it cannot "enable" the MBR Guard. It did when I first installed it.

I guess I will wait for Barb_C to get some answers from BRN support.

On an another note, about our discussion on Rollback Rx, look up the information on non-persistent virtual desktop.

Best regards,

18. aladdin

Dear Barb_C,

It is OK and I don't see how you keep up with all these. I will wait for your answers from the developer. Please also see my above post #1243 to Pegr.

Best regards,

19. aladdin

Please check out my earlier post #1232 above.

Best regards,

20. mick92z

I just noticed, Appguard is running on all user accounts, however the settings I used for Sandboxie compatibility, were only applied to my account. This is strange, I am the only admin account. This meant I had to access other peoples accounts, and apply the settings to each account. Is there a way around this please .
    What if people did not want me accessing there accounts, yet could not access a sandboxed browser, because Appgaurd was running without being made compatible

21. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Doesn't it allow to apply settings globally or per-user account/group?

22. mick92z

I think I may have solved it. If you go to parental controls and make your own account a super user, you are the only one allowed to make alterations/uninstall etc.
    I assume this means if i amend settings, it will apply to all accounts. This program is not user friendly.

EDIT
    Apparently being a super user, does not apply settings to all accounts, it just stops non super users changing things

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  23. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

OK, can some one advise me as to the 'right' or 'best' way to configure AppGuard so that it plays well with RB Rx? Have tried a few options but am not convinced I have got it right.

Thanks in advance.

Balders

24. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I suppose they should add a central manager to AppGuard, so that the administrator of the system can apply global settings or per user and group settings.

25. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I believe the Enterprise version has central management features.

http://www.blueridge.com/index.php/products/appguard/enterprise

Kind regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.