Secure operating system with tor proxy quantOS

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by lotuseclat79, Jun 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Secure operating system with tor proxy quantOS.

I found this via the RSS feed I setup yesterday for the website. I just downloaded the .iso file for quantOS and had some problems with the direct link and one of the mirrors, i.e. the download would not complete and would cutoff short of the 990.7 MB size. With not enough space left in my Live CD environment (normally at least 1.5GB of 3 GB of 4GB RAM - I went into mount mode at root for my hard drive and did a wget -q for the link to the .iso file - it took about 1/2 hour. The project and download is on sourceforge.net and was released on June 15, 2011.

What I am planning to do is wipe a USB drive which now has the latest TAILS (I also have the latest TAILS on a Live CD) and dd the .iso file to the /dev/device file for the entire device like: cat *.iso > /dev/sde and not any partition like /dev/sde1 - that usually allows the USB to boot with an MBR partition created with the Disk Utility I have in Ubuntu 10.10.

After that, play time to check it out! It uses the Epiphany browser with Vidalia to control Tor in a trimmed down Linux Mint environment.

-- Tom

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  2. Spooony

Spooony Registered Member

Lol
    What country do you live in?
    You know you couldve used a virtual machine? doesn't matter what os it is it still won't change your ip and your mac adress on your nic to which the network providers assign a persons ip normally.
    With a virtual machine you can change its mac addy all you want. Im using Tmac changer and its got profiles with preset nic mac values. I notice my mac still gets picked up with ipv6 alias teredo enabled. So I disabled it.

Main thing is with tor use the socks proxy. 9051 I think is tor socks port no. Make sure you set it in your browser.

3. lotuseclat79

Hi Spooony,

Sometimes I wonder what country I live in! Somewhere in the US - the download problem was on the sorceforge.net website - you just have to know what to do when it doesn't want to cooperate - hence the hint on what to do.

I've never used a virtual machine as yet since my hardware does not support VT-x Intel, but I have a MB that does when I get around to buying 8GB RAM for it.

I always change my macaddr before booting up Tor anyway with my own local random routine (TAILS is probably doing it better by sticking with existing vendor codes which sounds more plausible).

Yes - I know how to configure Tor (mostly for Firefox and variants - in excruciating detail), but as I haven't yet burned the .iso - doing other stuff at the moment and expect to get to it later today.

It should be a trip though, eh?

-- Tom :)

4. Spooony

I got a old Dell optiplex p4 which I throw all my malware on. It also doesn't have vt but it runs vmware without a problem and it got 1gb ram. Running windows xp on it and Ubuntu inside the virtual machine without a problem. Doesn't even slow down.

Here is another os for total privacy
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/anonym-os/

Very good article on how to protect your privacy making use of proxies and tor etc etc.
    http://rosinstrument.com/howto.htm

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  5. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

What are we talking here? As a Windows user run a VM with Unix/Linux to help spoof the MAC?

6. lotuseclat79

Hi DasFox,

There are mac spoofing tools for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.

For example, as a Windows User, you could run a Windows Mac spoofer prior to bringing up your VM with Unix/Linux. That would be my choice if I were running Windows as my primary platform.

-- Tom

7. rudyl

rudyl Registered Member

If it needs surgery sometime, you might try running a lean Linux distro and VirtualBox, with WinXP and Ubuntu as guests. That way, you could run software RAID and crypto LVM on the host.

Wikipedia tells me that Anonym.OS is no longer updated, and that its successor is The Amnesic Incognito Live System. Looks very cool.

8. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I understand these things, been using Linux myself many years, I was just trying to understand the point of the post and what the OP was really trying to accomplish here...

But I wasn't aware, or I forgot, if by spoofing the MAC, every time you do that it changes the IP as well...

Spooony was talking about the IP changing as well...

THANKS

9. Spooony

Yes the isps assign a ip according to your mac. With vmware you can change your mac like you change your underpants. Now if you got your ethernet hooked up to the virtual machine then you can run windows ->vm->connectivity service or whatever proxy/tor->whatever site your connecting with

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.