Migrate OS to SSD problem

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by oblio98, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oblio98

oblio98 Registered Member

I just received a OCZ Vertex 3 240Gb HD to replace an older Intel SSD in my main PC. I figured I would move the Intel to my laptop and speed the laptop up, while getting a newer TRIM compatible drive in my main PC.

ANYWAY - I purchased the Paragon Migrate OS to SSD to handle the transfer because I did not want to have to reinstall and reauthorize all of the programs on my PC.

I ran the install and then the program. The transfer started fine and it did the small boot partition, then the larger section of the old Intel SSD's boot drive. However, during the "countdown", it got to "A Few Seconds Left" and hangs. It just sits there. There is no stopping it and there is nothing I can do with the PC when it's in this state. If I right click the task bar to pull up Task Manager, it never shows.

I ended up shutting of the PC and rebooting. I looked at the new drive and there was info there but it will not boot. Doing a Windows repair on the cloned drive crashes because it cannot find 'Autocheck', (??)

I rebooted again with the Intel and started the whole thing over again with the same results.

I am using Window 7 x64. I have an ASUS Maximus IV Extreme MB with an Intel i7-2600K CPU and 16Gb of RAM.

Is there a solution to this issue that I can try?

THANKS

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Did you use Excludes during migration?
    Did you check if VSS service is running?
    Did you try to use CHKDSK C: /f prior to migration?

What product version do you use? (version is easy to find in the downloaded installation name: 10.0.***_000 )

3. redtrigger

redtrigger Registered Member

Mech-An,

I have experienced the same problem. I am using Win 7 64bit and it hangs with a few seconds remaining.

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the prblem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart the computer
    2. Choose your language settings and then click "next"
    3. Click "repair your computer"

Info: An unexpected error has occured

10.0.17.13028_000

When I install Win 7 installation disk and click repair my computer, I get an error message telling me that the system repair disk is not compatible with the version of Windows I am trying to repairo_O WTF.

Can you please help. This is a brand new build and was trying to migrate o/s to SSD.

Cheers

4. Mech_An

@redtrigger

WOW

First of all:
    Make sure that SSD is disconnected. It could be copied to SSD error.

Then:
    Did you try to restore last known good configuration? (Press F8 at System start)

If no help:
    Follow this link and burn the appropriate Windows 7 Recovery Disk: http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/
    * Then burn *,iso as an Image and boot your PC from it.
    * Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
    * Click Repair your computer.
    * Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    * On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair.
    Once completed. restart your PC and boot to Windows.

It *could* help. But I think it will be useless too.

5. redtrigger

When do I disconnect the SSD.?

Yes I did restore back to last known good configuration. I then went and started VSS to see if this would help. I then re-downloaded and installed Migrate OS to SSD and ran it again.

The install hangs at the same point with a few seconds remaining and the same error message appears when trying to boot from SSD.

If you are not able to provide a solution would it be possible to credit back the US$19.95 to my credit card?.

Cheers,

6. Mech_An

@redtrigger

I thought the issues were related to the source HDD.

As they are for target SSD:
    No wonder Windows copy fails to start as migration process was interrupted. Some operations were not completed successfully.

Did you try to disable your antivirus before starting Migration?
    It would be great to get LOG files of operation but as far as I understand you want your money back mot to continue troubleshooting.

To get refund please contact Paragon Support team and describe why do you want refund and not interested in troubleshooting (https://www.paragon-software.com/my-account/support/sendRequest.htm)

7. redtrigger

When I try to complete the support request I am not able as the software is not listedo_O.

Please advise next step

8. Mech_An

Go to Paragon Technology components - Migrate OS (English).

9. redtrigger

Thanks Mech An I have now been able to send the support request.

10. Happydays01

Happydays01 Registered Member

I had the exact same problem. I should of known better, it was norton's antivirus that was the problem. As soon as I uninstalled it, it worked like a charm! But now I have another problem when I boot the screen just goes blank. Guess I'll just keep trying.

Thanks for the hint about the antivirus!

11. oblio98

oblio98 Registered Member

Sorry I failed to check back in here but I was really annoyed and ended up just reinstalling Windows from scratch on the SSD and rebuilt the C: drive by reinstalling all of the programs, etc.

It was probably a better solution anyway, as the OS is very happy when it gets a clean install! :)

BTW - I tried the transfer program multiple times and the same thing happened, however, I never 'uninstalled' Norton, I only disabled it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.