Windows 7 update odd issue

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Zimzi, Mar 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

During the Windows 7 updating I noticed something odd. When I clicked on "More information" regarding "Update for Windows 7 (KB250543:cool: I was transferred to the webpage that does not look having anything to do with Microsoft!?

The URL of that page is: hus.parkingspa.com/hc3.asp

Can anyone with more experience help me about this issue?

Attached Files:

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Could you check your HOSTS file and see what's there? Open Notepad and then open HOSTS file going to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

To be able to edit the HOSTS file you'll need to execute Notepad with administrator rights.

4. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

Guys thanks for helping!

There is only default content of the HOSTS file (localhost only).

At first I thought that PC is infected with a some sort of sophisticated malware and almost that I started reinstalling, but after a little searching (Google rulez! :D ) revealed that others had the same problem. It seems that Microsoft made hilarious mistake:

Source 1

Source 2

I hope that publication of these links does not violate the rules. It is necessary to clarify the whole situation.

The most important is that the update package is good and everything works fine.

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

No such issues for me. Weird mistake from Microsoft.

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Zimzi, in this case, the links help us understand that the issue was with the German version of Windows. Thanks for letting us know! :thumb:

7. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

Happened with the English version, too, but Microsoft did react quickly and fix the problem so that many users have not noticed the problem.

Only a small typo, but I thought that PC is infected or even Windows 7 update page is hacked.

8. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

Yep, I got the same last night.

I took the safe route after that and downloaded that update manually and installed it that way.

English version of Windows 7 here.

9. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

you are not infected, Microsoft is not infected, it was pure & simple typo by a Microsoft employee
    http://hijack-this.co.uk/2011/03/microsoft-update-for-windows-7-kb2505438/

It is perfectly safe to install the update and you should install it

Some users installing the update today MIGHT still see the wrong url that leads to the scam site because of the way Microsoft cache pages & some regional update servers were still giving the old update at 9am GMT today
    This is only likely to affect those users who have download updates automatically but allow me to choose when to install them. They are very likely to have the wrong URL in the support information as it would have ben downloaded before Microsoft updated it

All Microsoft support sites are now displaying the correct URL but if you have already installed the update, the link in the update history will still lead to the wrong site

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.