Java JRE 6 Update 23 fails to install

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by m00nbl00d, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Has anyone already installed this latest version?

I tried to install it to a relative, but it simply fails. The installer UI won't even load. First, I thought it could be related to AppLocker (it's Windows 7 Ultimate x86), but I disabled and still failed. Then, I thought it could be lack of permissions in firewall o_O

It won't install. It also fails via Control Panel > Programs > Java.

It also fails in my own system. The only thing I can think would be for Java to require some interaction with IE, which may be blocked o_O No bloody idea. lol

I managed to successfully install this version in a Windows Vista x86 yesterday.

I did, initially, receive one of those alerts about software compatibility issues asking me to reinstall with compatibilities or to choose whether or not the software has been properly installed.

Some conflict with Windows 7?

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

m00nbl00d, I installed it in my Win 7 64-bit PC without an issue, however, I don't go through the Java site via a browser. I always wait until it appears at FileHippo: Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0.23 (64-bit), downloading it to a folder and installing it from there (Right Click File > Run As Administrator).

Here's the 32-bit version: Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0.23 (32-bit).

3. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

This is one update that frequently troubles me. I usually visit java.com after reading about an update. But the last time I went there (after ver. 23 was announced), it said something like you are updated but I have ver. 22!

I'll try again If unsuccessful, I'll try the route JR has suggested.

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

vasa1, you are correct. I used to see the Java update announced here at Wilders and when I visited java.com, it told me I already had the updated version, even though it was one version older. That's when I found FileHippo and haven't looked back since!

5. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Thank you! I love being correct! (I managed the update successfully from java.com just now. Did the JavaRa bit as well as going to control panel > Java, and turning of their quickstart and auto-updates.)

I wonder if it's a matter of demand and supply. Could it be that a lot of always-on folks set things up to automatically do things such as updates? And that this demand can't be handled by the servers and so a percentage of requests are turned down with the dishonest reason that they are updated?

Over at the Google Chrome farm, there have been problems with updates as well. And the tech guys admit to being swamped.

I prefer to wait a few days for any bugs in the fixes to come to light.

6. stackz

stackz Registered Member

I've come across the same issue on a number of Windows 7 machines. The easiest workaround is to copy the jre1.6.0_23 folder and contents (msi installer and Data1.cab) from your own computer or one on which it's been installed, to a flash drive. Transfer to the problem computer and run the msi installer.

7. m00nbl00d

Thank you all for the feedback. Much appreciated!

Now, the odd situation: After reporting this issue, I noticed that I still hadn't installed the sound driver. I though I had, but apparently not. To my surprise, I also couldn't get it to install. It was/is an installer as well.

OK. I was like what the heck is going on. If my eyes didn't lie to me, the errors in Event Viewer seemed to be exactly the same.

Again, wouldn't it be AppLocker? Wouldn't be some firewall permission (sounds crazy, I know lol)? Wouldn't it be some tweak I had done to something else?

It was already late... near 6 AM! Yeah... I was up for quite a few time already... I was sleepy, went to bed.

Moments ago, I decided to give it a new chance. But, I tried it first with the new Secunia PSI version installer. OK, this one seems to want to install. Great!
    I then try with the sound driver installer. The installer goes fine; it just complains the package doesn't contain a driver for what I want... Odd, though. I'll get a new version, if there's one.
    Next - Java installer. OK, it installs.

I'm like - What the heck o_O

Only then I realized that I had, in both systems (mine and my relative's) uninstalled the latest EMET version that I had installed... for whatever reason the EMET's GUI process hadn't a digital signature applied to it. It had been like that since it came out, though. But, I had installed EMET in another relative's system 2 days ago, and EMET's GUI process was presenting with digital signature. So, I decided to uninstall and reinstall in my system and my relative's.

I had rebooted both systems after uninstalling and reinstalling. I did notice that the settings I had with previous version remained, though. Despite they didn't made web browser being under EMET, though.

Anyway... I guess it was needing a second reboot... lol

Seriously... the more I believe I understand how things work... there it comes a new adventure. lol

Thank you all!

8. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

I have the new Secunia version installed, which is set to auto update. I checked to see if it had installed the latest java, but found I still had 6.22.
    So I ran a manual scan of secunia, which told me everything is upto date. Yet if I open java, and check for updates, it tells me there is a new version 6.23

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

The 32-bit version won't install on my Windows 7 64-bit either. Neither the updater or the online/offline installer works. I'll try stackz's method.

@mick92z: That's because update 23 doesn't address any security problems.

10. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Thanks it worked!

11. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

Of course, why didn't I think of that :thumb:

12. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi

I started another thread on exactly the same problem as discussed in this thread. Not realising that this thread had the solution.

I am indebted to stackz for this. However as I am a novice getting it installed was not without its tribulations.

So for the benefit of others like me I would like to clarify the stackz method:

My machine that would not accept the Java 6 23 update is a Windows 7 PC.

On another machine you have to download the OFFLINE installer (even if the latest Java update is currently installed) on mine Win XP is installed fully up to date.

When you have downloaded the Java 6_23 exe click on it and then click on run, NOTHING MORE.

Go then to, in my case for win XP, Docs & Settings\User Name\ Application Data\Sun\ JRE1.6.0.23

Open this folder confirm that JRE.msi and Datacab1 are in there, then copy this folder to your flash drive.

Put the flash drive in the PC that you want install Java 6_23.

Then install from the flash drive by clicking on the .msi installer. Bingo it works, thanks to stackz.

Hope this helps those who are technically stymied like me.

Terry

13. m00nbl00d

This is annoying. I was about to update Java to latest version in the same relative's system, and the same happens all over again.

I proceeded with what was mentioned before by users stackz and TerryWood (thanks for sharing folks!). It installed.

Now, I came to realize what truly happened with me/my relative. I've set AppLocker, and I've removed a rule allowing execution of Windows Installers (*.msi and *.msp) from places where standard users could execute them.

Apparently, when executing Java installer with administrative rights, the *.msi file which gets extracted from Java installer does not start elevated, failing to execute.

I manually elevated it via cmd line (by default "Run as administrator" does not appear for Windows installers) and then it installed just fine.

I just wanted to let you know, just in case you come across the same situation and it happens you removed that rule, just as I did.

14. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I had this too, I also got a windows message stating it hadn't installed properly and gives you a few response options. It seems forced DEP or SEHOP was the problem.

15. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

You may ignore the failure to install since the latest Sun Jave JRE is at update 24, you may download the stand-alone installer here

I would have to take JR to task here since I believe downloading from third party sites for updates like these generally should be download and installed from the vendor.

Beware of third party offerings such as Google Toolbar, etc.

The update was cited in this thread for those interested.

All due, JR :thumb:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  16. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

siljaline, I don't recommend sites willy-nilly. FileHippo has never let me down in regards to these Java updates. However, different strokes for different folks. ;)

17. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

I would use a third party site, like FileHippo, if the Oracle Release Notes matched exactly, JR.

And I wasn't insinuating you were prescribing third party sites, willy-nilly.

Peace ;)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  18. nisby79

nisby79 Registered Member

If you have EMET installed with maximum security try to set it with reccomended settings, reboot and try to install java

19. AdamL

AdamL Registered Member

Yes this is what worked for me, and if/when you come to uninstall you will have to do the same again.

20. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Indeed, I think it was DEP causing the problem, you can put it to maximum again after install and Java will work fine, it's just the installer that has the problem.

21. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Or keep DEP at Opt-Out. That's more convenient.

Windows XP actually states that DEP closed the program, instead of some general error.

22. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.