Seeking snapshot Rollback software for testing software

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I'm looking for snapshot rollback software alternatives to Vmware, and virtual box for testing software? I'm looking for speed, and reliability. Any recommendations?

2. tej

tej Registered Member

Most people will suggest Rollback RX for this. I haven't tried it so can't say anything about it. I however, have been using Farstone RestoreIt to try out various security software combos. It's working exactly the way it should. Never had any glitches. Rollback RX has the ability to undo a rollback, something which RestoreIt cannot do.

In case you are interested - RollBack Rx is going for 24$ today on bitsdujour. RestoreIt also has a 40% discount right now (22$).

3. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

I'm one of the people who use and recommend Rollback Rx (RB). Yes, it allows you to 'undo' a rollback, but it is far more versatile than that. Unlike RestoreIt, when you rollback to any one of your older snapshots RB retains all snapshots that were taken subsequent to that older one which you rolled-back to. So should you wish to do so you can roll-forward to any of them!

Also, after rolling-back, you can recover individual (newer) files from your most current snapshot into your (older) rolled-back snapshot. For example, let's assume you rollback to a snapshot taken yesterday, but before doing that (today) you received some important emails that you don't want to lose. RB will let you restore your most recent emails from today's snapshot into yesterday's snapshot (the one you are now in)!

As for speed, taking a snapshot in RB is instantaneous (just a couple of seconds). Restoring any older snapshot is just a matter of the time it takes to reboot your system plus an additional 10 to 20 seconds.

I find RB very reliable, but any program (and RB is no exception) can become problematic, so you should always protect your system by periodically creating disk-image (external) backups!

Aaron

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  4. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Thanks for the info! The timing was good since they had a great deal yesterday on Rollback RX.

5. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

It won't take too long before you become addicted to RB, although I'm not sure how well it will co-exist with your 'Shadow' programs (as I don't use them).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.