NOD causing slow file access?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by tinzamin, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tinzamin

tinzamin Registered Member

Hi,

We use NOD on all our PC's and servers and have just upgraded our network from
    XP (SP3) clients and Windows Server 2003 to brand new Windows 7 clients and
    Windows Server 2008r2 (64 bit).

Since doing this we have noticed that opening any office document files from
    shares on our new servers takes a long time (up to a minute) and yet every
    other format such as .pdf, .jpg, .txt etc of file opens straight away.

Our suspiscion is that the culprit could be the NOD A/V product, either on the
    Server or on the workstation (we have tried everything else).

According to Google, it seems NOD has had issues with slow opening of office
    documents in the past?

Anyone have any ideas? Is this a known issue?

Cheers

PT

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Are the files opened quickly when not opened directly from within Office applications but via a file manager or Windows Explorer? If so, this should be fixed in the next build. This problem affects only Windows 7/2008 systems.

3. tinzamin

tinzamin Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply!

I would need to check about explorer as you mention but in the mean time I have a few more related questions

- if this is a known issue, can you clarify if the problem is with the 64bit Server version of NOD or the Windows 7 version of NOD?

- is there an official post regarding this issue? (so i can advise my boss) ;)

- is there anything we can do in the meantime to restore file access to it's normal speed?

- we have also noticed issues with office when several users try to open an office document sometime it says the 'file is in use' and wants us to open it in 'read only' mode. Again we suspect NOD (sorry!). any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Tin Z

4. yeeharacing

yeeharacing Registered Member

FYI...
    We have the same issue with XP and 2003 as well.

5. henryvoll

henryvoll Registered Member

I have been googling a bit tonight without finding anything, but I did some tests.

I too have this problem. I have two computers, both with Windows 7 copies, and both running Eset Smart Security. For months I have had problems streaming anything from my server - movies, music, even Spotify (Euro music streaming service)

Copying files, I noticed that I got full network speed for a little while, and then it hangs for maybe 15 seconds, and starts again at SUPER SLOW speeds. 1g file may take 15-25 minutes to copy.

Today, for the first time, I tried turning off firewall, and antivirus on both computers, and voila! For a couple of hours now everything has run smooth as I can dream of.

Music streams fine, movies stream fine, and I get full speeds at copying.

So .. This is not a "maybe" the way I see it. Now, I have used Eset probably since Nod32 version 2, and I have always been very happy, but this is scraping the paint.

6. victorwol

victorwol Registered Member

I have a similar issue too, Firewall is slowing down network from 100 MB/s to 2 MB/s ....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.