foxit reader update 4.1 fully functional now

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zfactor, Aug 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/index.php

no msi installer anymore BUT i just downloaded and installed this and i had no questions for ask toolbar and i do not have it i also checked the registry amd no entries have been added in there either just make sure to select custom install

What's New in Foxit Reader 4.1?
    The following is a list of exciting new features in Foxit Reader 4.1.

New features:

Added a advanced set of professional features
    The New Reader 4.1 now includes Comments tools, Text Viewer & Text Converter, Form Filler, Spell Checker and Advanced Editing Tools; and it is still free. No additional licensing is required for more features with PDFs.
    Enhanced Safe Mode Setting
    Supports Safe Mode settings during installation, streamlining the workflow and offering better protection with PDF File.
    Bug Fixes:
    Fixed the crash issue when opening certain PDF documents.

2. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Hi!

I have been using version of Foxit Reader 3 for long time with no problem.
    As I read your post re. version 4.1 , I decided I should upgrade.

Generally , I downlaod just the ZIP archive but now I downloaded the installer - an exe file.

I had a surprise (appears before installing Foxit itself , before Custom or standart installation) . See :

Attached Files:

3. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

they remove the msi installer....
    winder why.

4. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

hmm, it seems even after de-selecting all the check boxes for ask toolbar, it was still installed into firefox (and also got a winpatrol alert saying it wanted to install an IE add-on, luckily i blocked the IE installation that way at least). this makes me trust foxit about as much as adobe at this point, if not even less... ill be uninstalling foxit permanently now and not looking back

5. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

yeah i also noticed something wierd.. i got NO NOTICE AT ALL DURING INSTALL i was not ASKED to install anything in addition except the ebay icon. no where did it have any checkboxes for ask anything. but yet i see it in avast firewall and also found the ask.com installchecker.exe files among others. i will now officially be looking for another pdf program.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  6. layman

layman Registered Member

Do you realize it was never necessary to install Foxit Reader in the first place? I tried the installed version some years ago, but reverted back to the portable form of the software. You have to hunt for it on the download site, but I always download that portable executable and simply unzip it over the previous version.

7. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

I got a virus warning from my antivirus program.
    Seems they have inserted a plug in for Ebay.
    I don't care how free it is, they have their nerve doing
    something like that. Their as bad as WD with their 70M
    of crap they put on their MY Book series.

8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Hi!
    Could you give a couple of details?

Which is your AV programme and why does it warn about a plug-in?
    What is the name of the "plug-in for Ebay"?

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Honestly, I don't know why this is so for some people: I have reinstalled several times Foxit and there was no trace of any ask tool bar with Firefox and IE8. Even the window displayed by 3GUSER post #2 never appeared on my installer.
    The only thing that relates to 'ask' is the alert from my firewall when opening the installer (askinstallchecker.exe), is this spyware?

Attached Files:

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Maybe they (the guys at ask) want to know whether their toolbar has been installed?

I too got the question but I did the installation with my internet switched off. No problem. I went for the custom install and read the screen carefully ;) . That should be enough, shouldn't it?

11. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

To Vasa1,
    Here are the details you requested.

Foxit reader V.4.1.0.0726
    Eset Smart Security
    Win32/adware.adon
    Microsoft/Internet explorer/quick launch/ebay.url

Eset knows about this and probably has already fixed it.
    This happened with the latest install of Foxit Reader.
    Sure hate the thoughts of going back to Adobe

12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Thanks for the response! In the meantime, I've installed it without any complaints from Avira (free). As Osaban and I have noticed, there's an attempt to call out to something related to the ask toolbar and this was reported by my firewall.

I did not install the browser plug-in and don't intend to open/view any pdf file when connected to the net. I've chosen the safe mode and disabled javascript in Foxit. Additionally, I view downloaded pdf files in Sandboxie. Also, I have set up Foxit as blocked (in and out) in my firewall rules.

Given the present concerns over pdf files, I'd do this for any pdf viewer, not just Foxit.

13. firzen771

well i did the custom install, unchecked each of the ask toolbar options wen the screen came up, installed and got a warning for winpatrol that asktoolbar is trying to be installed as an IE add-on (even tho i specifically unchecked the options) and wen i opened up firefox, the toolbar had been installed. to ME, that is unacceptable from any product, especially since i unchecked the option to install the toolbar...

14. progress

progress Guest

Foxit installs a lot of rubbish - I won't use it again :ouch:

15. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Where exactly is this toolbar in Firefox? I don't see it.

16. firzen771

right under my bookmarks bar, idk why, but it was installed against my choice

17. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I have FF 3.6.8 and Chrome 5.0.375.125 (both from portableapps.com). I don't see any sign of this stuff in either browser.

Anyway, best not to use something one isn't comfortable with.

18. Get

Get Registered Member

As layman said.. just take the zip-file instead of the exe and unpack it anywhere and no problem whatsoever. I never had any problem with the installed version btw (but most of the time have used the zip). No reason for not using it imho.

19. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I see that there is now a newer version of Foxit Reader. Version 4.1.1.0805.

20. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Yes, that's the one I installed from the .exe (by the way). Just have to read the instructions properly and no problems.

Whether it's the best reader is one thing, but not to read the instructions and then cry blue murder is another.

21. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

It ain't about crying blue murder, it is about spyware.
    Spyware creators aren't dumb, in order for people not to know a release which will not install their crap, they use a "gamble". In the installation routine, a gamble is done, and the chance the Ask toolbar will get installed (no matter what fake options you unchecked or not) there is a 50% chance the spyware will get installed.

22. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

The way I always update Foxit and NEVER have a problem with the Ask
    toolbar is doing it from within the program. If you currently have the msi
    version installed when its time to update just do the "check for updates"
    and you ll see the update for the new version at the bottom of a list of
    available updates. That list will include the hated Ask toolbar, FF plugin
    and other things that I don't touch.
    The other thing that can be done is to use a old msi installer and after a
    few days you ll get the update to the new version when you check for it.
    Bo

23. FirePost

FirePost Registered Member

No one noticed the "Hide Ask Toolbar" on the preferences screen? Is it there as subterfuge or a convenience?

Edit: My mistake. It states "Hide Ask.com Search Button" which is not the same thing.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  24. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

25. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Looking carefully at 3GUSER's Foxit installer window, there's an interesting set of choices: if you uncheck each of the ask toolbar options you are actually objecting to having "Ask" as your "browser default search provider" and "Ask.com" as your "home page".

By clicking "I Accept" You are actually agreeing to install the Foxit (Ask) Search Bar.

By clicking "Decline", the Foxit Search Bar will not be installed and you will continue the installation of Foxit Reader.

It is very cleverly worded and probably inspired to "phishing models", but perfectly legal. Unchecking and accepting usually leads to stopping undesired options, in this case "declining" would be the right course of action.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.