ESET SS4 install fails with 1603 error

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by tiuk, Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tiuk

tiuk Registered Member

I have successfully removed CA eTrust ITM and replaced it with ESET Smart Security 4 across my network, except for one system that is giving me problems. No matter what I do the install keeps failing with a 1603 exit code.

Here is the Windows installer log from my most recent attempt. Push install has not been working so I tried exporting the install to a folder and running it from there, generated this log:

View attachment Log.txt

These lines caught my attention:
    Is the install failing because it thinks there's a conflicting AV program? The uninstall of ITM went fine, same results as the other systems so I'm not sure how this could be the case. Running out of ideas, any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

[edit]Tried the ESETUninstall utility at one point, didn't detect an installation so nothing was removed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2010
  2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

from
    http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN166

Error 1603 on push installation: Generic error

Cause: The installer is detecting other Antivirus software on the computer. Uninstall the previous antivirus/firewall. If you try installing the .msi manually on the computer, it will show a message that another Antivirus progam such as "AVAST" was detected. Uninstall that software and redo the push installation. Not enough disk space or a corrupted Windows installer can also cause this error.

3. tiuk

tiuk Registered Member

I did run across that same KB article in my searches. CA ITM is removed, same uninstall method as all the other systems I have installed SS4 on and had no problem. The uninstall went fine, exited with a 0 error code. I don't know where the SS4 installer is finding some remnant of it, if I did I would gladly remove it.

I also checked the disk space, there are some 27+ GB free so I doubt that is the problem. As for a corrupted Windows Installer, I'm not sure how or why this would be the case but I suppose it is a possibility. I could try msizapping the product codes for CA ITM, just saving that as a last resort since it's a fairly drastic move.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you're positive that there are no leftovers from a previous antivirus, try running the ESET msi installer with the IGNORE_CONFLICTS=1 parameter (with no slash).

5. tiuk

tiuk Registered Member

IGNORE_CONFLICTS=1 worked perfectly, the client has been installed. Thanks for your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.