GDATA 2010 Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by s4u, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markcc

markcc Registered Member

I am now trialing the GData Internet Security. I'm not real sure about the firewall? I have used the a/v for quite sometime now & really like it. Need to try to get comfortable with the firewall

2. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

Anyone have this running on a 64 bit Windows 7 RC or RTM?

3. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

How do you like the AV? How is the behavior blocker and heuristics? Is its update quick and quiet? With those two engines it sure has a high detection from the tests I have seen. I am considering trialing it when my NOD32 subscription gets close to expiring, but that isn't until next year. The price is nice and from what I understand it is resource efficient with frequent updates. The two main things that I am concerned about are false positives and no support forum.

4. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

It's a pretty solid top tier program so you'll hardly need to worry about their 'unresponsive' (at times) tech support. I would 'worry' instead about their bitdefender engine, I kinda don't trust much it because the many false positives it triggers. In my recent experience they at bitdefender took 3 weeks to fix a half dozen fp's found on my system. Other than this it's a winner AV. Just be cautious and you'll be fine ;)

5. UIS

UIS Registered Member

6. fasteddy2020

fasteddy2020 Registered Member

I was pretty skeptical when I first tried it. There is no support forum in English and getting email help takes about 2 weeks (other than some great members here at Wilders ;) ). I have used this now on three computers for about 2 months and I love it. I have had no false positives on any machine, it runs great with Prevx and there is no slow downs whatsoever on my machines, even the older less powerful ones. The firewall seems a bit cumbersome to make rules but seems good. Some things, to me, seem hard to find within the GUI, but not impossible. It really is set and forget. Even my wife likes it and claims the laptop loads and runs faster. Initial updates are slow but it updates regularly without any issues and uses very little resources. Great program. Price was really good too.

If someone does purchase the program, I would recommend Ultimate Internet Security. They have fantastic support. Their live help is awesome! I can't say enough good things about them.

7. markcc

markcc Registered Member

I really like the a/v. I've been using it for about a year now. I have not seen much from the behavior blocker, its quiet. From the articles & tests I've read the heuristics ranks up near the top of the best.

It's a great a/v on my system! I'm giving the Security Suite a go now.

8. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

9. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Well thanks for the responses from you guys. Yeah whenever I see an AV with detection rates likes this I give it a second look. I'll be giving them a trial run before too long. I have thought about going with a free av after Nod expires but I am probably sticking with a paid av. I don't feel any loyalty to any product, but I do really like Nod. It will need to be a pretty good one to get me away from Nod. The price is a good start.

10. ghidorah68

ghidorah68 Registered Member

I have to throw my two cents in here...

I've seen the behavior blocker act when I was installing a new version of iTunes. Gdata wanted to know about Quick Time and why it was trying to modify the system. A nice little window popped up in the lower right corner with options for me to choose.

I have never seen the heuristics kick in because the signatures always catch everything.

You won't be sorry with the program. Top notch all the way in my opinion.

Take care
    Chuck

11. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

Can somebody help me? My friends G DATA Antivirus 2010 program files are not updating.

Please help me how to solve this problem.

12. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Hi Narxis,
    Try the new G Data forum. http://forum.ultimateinternetsecurity.com/

13. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

It still puts a hit on the system. Not very much, but I can still feel it. :(

Maybe I'll give it another shot after beta is over.

14. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Well that is not good looking at your specs.

15. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

What the hell is going on? I have update problems since yesterday, today, Engine B is not updating, it says an error occured try later.

Engine A is updating...

16. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

Who has this problem should try this.

Download the file from here:

http://download681.avast.com/iavs4x/vps-9090400.vpu

and copy here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\G DATA\AVKScanP\avast\SETUP

Then start update. It worked for me.

17. brucemc

brucemc Registered Member

GDATA 2010 crash during rootkit scan

I just installed G-Data 2010 trial today on my laptop and during the rootkit portion of the computer scan it fails, then the Security Status goes back to red and the Last Virus Check: reverts to "No Execution".

I have tried uninstall, registry clean, manual wipe the username temp files, clear all temp files (via CCleaner) reinstall and I still get the same results.

I narrowed it down to the rootkit scan by selecting the individual components from the "virus scan" drop down menu, each running successfully except rootkit scan where it exits and reverts to the system status screen every time.

Help? Please?

18. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

Hi brucemc,

do you have other security products installed? What OS do you have, Vista, XP?

19. brucemc

No other security products and running XP Pro, with all the updates/patches!

20. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

21. brucemc

Not quite certain how concerned I should be here.

I reviewed the G-Data FAQs and found that a "corrupt" file in the user's local settings temp directory could cause a G-Data scan to fail early. This is why I cleared that directory, but was concerned for this meant someone could render G-Data unattended scans useless by first placing a like designed file into that temp directory.

With this in mind, I noted the type of scan it was running when it failed and I studied the files it was running at the time of scan. I found that it was failing while reading my firefox profiles directory. I cut and pasted that directory elsewhere, and the scan runs as it should. Now we know that not only does G-Data fail with a certain design of file in the temp directory, but also with some form of file in other directories.

I also ran Sophos and RootKit Revealer rootkit scans and they completed without failure.

As I am not a security expert of any sort, would someone who has some expertise weigh in on how such a weakness should be perceived? It looks rather tragic to me.

22. fouriron

fouriron Registered Member

OK, now I feel stupid. I am trialing Gdata Internet Security 2010 on Windows 7 x64 and I like it, but I have no firewall module showing in the security center.
    The only things under Internet are
    Web Protection and
    Phishing Protection

How do I turn it on?

Len

EDIT. I found out about the windows 7 beta and downloaded. All is well now.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  23. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

On the german G DATA webpage they said the final version for Win 7 is released.

24. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

UK normally receives program up-dates 3 weeks after the German up-date.
    Badcompany.

25. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

I know, but are you sure it will come with a program update? Maybe the create a new installer.

btw. What happened? You are using Dr. Web?:eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.