NOD32 V4 Major issue

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by TOCS, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TOCS

TOCS Registered Member

I have over 1000 under my Company's care.

2. TOCS

TOCS Registered Member

Hmmm .... Another one??
    This is not so one sided now.

3. TOCS

TOCS Registered Member

The Eset Support here in Australia no longer exists and I was directed to this forum for support.
    I came here to talk to Eset for support and was subjected to all this objection for forum readers. The Eset moderator Agoretsky, gave the impression of wanting to help, while the rest of you went about slagging the product. This was not what I came here for. So it was not my objection, it was yours, I only came here to find out from Eset why they were doing this, and for an expaination of why this cant be fixed.
    Realy quite that simple!!
    If you had read all of my Posts, you would see that I am behind Eset 150% and have been for many many years being one of the first resellers here in Aus. Otherwise I wouldn't be here fighting so hard for a fix to this problem.
    Once again your evedence of this "other wares" you talk about is all hear say. I need to know what evedence Eset have for doing what they are diong. And that is all I am asking. If I cant ask that there in the "Eset Support Forum" where can I ask it o_Oo_O??

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

very good and valid points. Lets hope a answer will follow soon.

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

you might want to send Agoretsky a PM directly. He is very helpful, and busy.

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I did actually read all your posts and the whole thread . But the impression that you leave in me is not that you are behind ESET (no matter how many %) . Just reselling the programs doesn't make you "behind ESET".

Well , in my opinion , ESET (incl. Marcos) + other people (fellows , long-time users of NOD32) already said why it is detected . In short - the programs has potentially unwanted behavior. Check this for clarification:

Attached Files:

7. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

My tests in the last hour on Spywaredetector

Tocs Spywaredetector www http://www.tocs.com.au/sd.php I tried to DL it, even with Scripting enabled, i couldn't

{snip}, itself appears to be down ?

This is Google's cache of {snip}, It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on 18 Jul 2009 10:32:32 GMT

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cach...e's Spyware Detector&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

After many fruitless searches on Google on the usual DL www's i eventually managed to DL it from http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=4662&file=15&evp=dfe608800232de4a153c15e3459c9cbe All the other www's appear to have pulled it ?

Installed it see screenies.

Tried to update the Defs, no go !

Scanned results -

Worm = mixer.exe = C-Media Electronic Inc = SAFE

Activity Logger = ASProtect = software protection = SAFE as far as i know !

Alvin = {71A27031-C7D8-11D2-BEF8-525400DFB47A} {71A2702E-C7D8-11D2-BEF8-525400DFB47A} {71A27033-C7D8-11D2-BEF8-525400DFB47A} {71A27036-C7D8-11D2-BEF8-525400DFB47A} = CTimer - Googling brought up references to MyBugFree, but no other App detects anything ?

Quick = Ext = ?

Elite Keylogger Licenses {R7C0DB872A3F777C0} = Googling brought up references to Elite and Quick KL, but no other App detects anything ?

Kontiki = BBC iplayer = SAFE

So my prognosis is they are FP's. I suppose if i was a Jo i could have purchased the full version to eliminate them all, if their www was working. Good thing it isn't as it would have deleted lots of legit Apps and files etc ! I wonder how many Jo's have had stuff deleted with SD, if as stated by the owner of SD, there are 1,000,000 of them out there !!!

Screenies to follow

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2009
  8. StevieO

Screenies

Attached Files:

9. TOCS

TOCS Registered Member

You Goose... That is SD 2005... That is the basis of your arguement? A peice of software that is 4 years oldo_O

Also after puting in all the exclusions for SD into NOD32. Each and everyone of the links you provided work fine.

Do you work for The Eset Support team o_O

10. StevieO

As i said, i first tried to DL it from your www, but couldn't. Just tried again with IE and FF, still can't.

I'd be quite willing to try the latest version, so if you upload it to for eg Rapidshare and post the link, i'll install it and scan again.

11. TOCS

TOCS Registered Member

I have no more time for this. I have sent out a temp fix for this problem to over 1000 clients, all needing to eventually dl from that link, I have not had one complaint yet.

I did not come hear to have you guy's second guess me or my company or the expertise of the many qualified technicians we employ.

I came here to hear from the Eset Support team as to why they are doing this and what evidence they have for doing this and that is it.

I am no longer playing this game of "show me yours and I'll show you one bigger", I await to hear from Agoretsky, who seems to be the only real support person here. And if Eset stand behind their product as they have over many years I will get a full explanation from them.
    And that is the only one I am interested in.

The rest of you so far have been a waste of my time with no real substance to any comment.
    I didnt come here to see if anyone could discredit SD. I came here to ask a question of the Eset Support team.

12. ASpace

ASpace Guest

~ removed by me ~

13. stratoc

stratoc Guest

end of the day if you love this program so much, just exclude it it isnt rocket science. spybot also sees it as malware for your interest.

14. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    You put malware removal programs on "servers" :eek:
    Yeesh..what kind of clients do you support that would use servers in the typical role of a desktop computer, surfing 'n exposing them to adware/spyware?

All your posts just in this one thread...you working for them?

15. stratoc

stratoc Guest

1000 pc network and this thread really don't match up, i think you're on to something...

16. virkelie

virkelie Registered Member

Hi Stevie,

I downloaded spyware detector, from ~snip~ , on an old win95 computer - which has no antivirus.

Based on past reviews, I am too scared to test the program myself - I apologise for that.

I have uploaded the files - the 32bit and 64bit versions to sendspace.com - so maybe you can test the program.

Here are the links:

32-bit version:
    ~snip~
    64-bit version:
    ~snip~
    To ESET - if I am not supposed to post the links - I don't mind if you modify them (I guess you could delete them if you feel it appropriate- but I hope someone could test the program).

virkelie

17. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

For those wishing to discuss\debate the validity\non-validity of this software or any other like software, feel free to head on over to our other anti-malware software forum.

As for this thread, we'll bring it to a close for the time being. If\when Eset wishes to respond publically to this thread, they can by all means re-open the thread.

18. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Re: NOD32 V4 Major issue - MaxPCsecure

Hello,

After careful review of the submitted files, ESET's virus lab has reclassified the submitted files. They are no longer detected neither as "probably a variant of Win32/Genetik trojan", which is a generic detection algorithm used to detect new, unknown software which may threaten the integrity, privacy or processing resources of a computer; or as "Win32/Adware.MaxPCsecure" which was the specific detection initially assigned to the software.

As of virus signature database update 4288, Max Secure's Spyware Detector has been classified as potentially unwanted application and is now detected as "a variant of Win32/MaxPCsecure" and the URLs for web sites associated with Spyware Detector that were previously blocked have been removed from detection and are no longer blocked.

We would like for you to understand why Spyware Detector has been classified as a potentially unwanted application and detected by ESET. One thing that is very important to keep in mind is that the classification of potentially unwanted application does not necessarily mean that a program is malicious or otherwise damages a system. Potentially unwanted applications is ESET's classification for software which while not inherently malicious, may perform undesirable activities on a computer when misused by the wrong personnel. Here are some examples of applications which might be classified as potentially unwanted:
    • A password-cracking program. A company might not want employees in its sales department to run such applications. However, it would be acceptable for the IT department to do so in order to audit for weak passwords or to help a user recovery a forgotten password.
    • A product key-finding program. A typical home user might not have any need to look up the key for software which is already running on their computer, however, if the software installation was corrupted, a technician might use such a product key finder when re-installing the software.
    • Software that displays advertising, possibly through a toolbar, or otherwise changes the results of displayed pages or search queries in a web browser, i.e., adware, but clearly state their intentions, provide easy uninstallation, accurate company contact information and do not engage in affiliate marketing programs which are subject to abuse.
    • Software of dubious quality and reputation. This would include programs make outlandish, unverifiable and unsupportable claims about their efficacy or generate deceptive false positive alarm reports of threats where none exists in order to mislead people into purchasing something they do not really want or need. Examples of this would include various rogue antivirus and antispyware programs.
    For more information on potentially unwanted applications, I would suggest reading Wikipedia's entry here on Potentially Unwanted Applications or Virus Bulletin Magazine's description here.

Based on its examination of Spyware Detector, ESET's virus lab has determined that it meets one or more of the aforementioned criteria for potentially unwanted applications. Understand that because there are certain situations in which people may wish to use such software, ESET accordingly treats this as a lower-risk category than, say, a computer virus or worm. In fact, ESET's customers decide themselves during installation whether to enable detection of potentially unwanted applications or not. Screen shot below:

[​IMG]

Detection of potentially unwanted applications can be disabled in the program settings at any time. For information on how to do this, see ESET Knowledgebase article #2198, "How do I configure my ESET security product to detect unwanted or unsafe applications?". Additionally, ESET's customers are able to decide what actions should be taken upon detection of a potentially unwanted application. A simulated screen shot of this category is shown below:

[​IMG]

ESET will continue to monitor this situation in the future and react according to its evolution.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact your local ESET office.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.