How to log into websites on public computers without revealing passwords

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by MrBrian, Jun 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Kyps.net is a free website that lets you log into websites on public computers, such as Internet cafe computers or workplace computers, without revealing your passwords to the public computer. Kyps.net has not been mentioned at Wilders previously. LinkExtend indicates that of those four website reputation services that rate Kyps.net, all four give it good ratings, including Web of Trust and McAfee SiteAdvisor.

I tested KYPS briefly and it does work, but only when I logged in using the non-default 'Encrypt links' option.

Advantages and disadvantages of KYPS in comparison with other methods such as using a live CD are discussed by the KYPS creator here. One disadvantage that the KYPS creator didn't mention is that it's possible that malware infecting the KYPS computer(s) could steal your passwords when you use one-time codes; however, KYPS claims to not keep a database of passwords, so at least you don't have to worry about a hacker stealing your passwords by stealing from a password database.

Some other related resources:
    Discussion of KYPS vs. the password manager LastPass and some other methods
    How to Improve Your Security When Using a Public Terminal
    Vesik password insertion method

2. MrBrian

Correction: KYPS does store your encrypted passwords if you use "short word codes".

3. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Re: password theft at public computer

Here's a related question. When I travel for business, I am using a company-issued laptop. I work remotely by accessing a VPN, and then running a remote terminal session.

Under this scenario, could a bad guy use a key-logger to capture passwords I am entering in the terminal session?

Thanks,
    Len

4. MrBrian

If there is a keylogger on the laptop, I believe that your typed passwords are vulnerable.

5. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Not what I wanted to hear -but important to know. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.