how do i restore to a different computer?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mbg19chev02, May 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbg19chev02

mbg19chev02 Registered Member

my questions are numbered (1)-(3)

(1) how do i restore to a different computer that has a different hard drive interface?

my computer backup has been made on my laptop with a IDE hard drive

I have a desktop that has a SATA hard drive and when i restore the TIB file to it get a blue screen stop error
    "STOP: 0x0000007b (0xf78a6528, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

i have tried it the other way around too...making a backup with my SATA drive (desktop)(same xp pro manually installed) and then trying to restore it to the laptop (IDE) (this gives me the same blue screen) (safe mode loads the xp boot files and then i get the same blue screen.

(2)how do i get it to have it when i am whiping out the laptops drive with the backup?

(3 IMPORTANT QUESTION) what is an alternative program or way to allow me to restore my backup to any hard drive and to any interface.

PS> (now thinking its an interface problem i have installed a seperate IDE hard drive into my Desktop and tried to restore the laptops IDE backup file to it....no luck).... now the laptops hard drive is IDE and my secondary desktop hard drive is IDE i really dont know why this is not working. (ALSO THE BACKUP FILE IS FINE AND IT HAS BEEN VERIFIED AND RESTORED TO THE LAPTOP TWICE....AND YES IT HAS BEEN RESTORED RECENTLY (TODAY).

I would appreciate any help thanks alot.

2. snifferpro

snifferpro Registered Member

Check your advanced settings in bios on the desktop.

If it is set to AHCI then restoring the backup from another system
    must also have been configured as AHCI

3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Restoring to different hardware requires the Workstation version of True Image together with the extra cost add-on called Universal Restore. Plus you have to have the drivers for the destination computer handy during the restore process.

4. mbg19chev02

OK thanks a lot for some great ways to fix this. I will be trying both methods soon....although i have 3 more questions:

(1) What is AHCI?

(2) What does the "restore disk signature" actually do?

(3*IMPORTANT) What does the universal restore program actually copy in order for it to find the drive and boot properly?....in other words what does it do that i am not....and can i do this manually?

thanks again

5. DwnNdrty

The UR feature will bring up a window where you can add the drivers - for each new hardware device on the destination system - one at a time. Usually the display adapter driver is the most critical one.

6. mbg19chev02

my questions are in red font:

ok i am still having no luck....my computer just restarts itself (the desktop) once i restore the new backup (from the laptop) onto the desktop. i dont even see a blue screen....but in the restore process it did show me missing driver errors for a few called "PCI blablablablabla" and one called atk100 or something like that.

you mentioned i might need to specify my video drivers....being most important....do you mean the vga display driver? or the driver for my nvidia card?...if it is for the nvidia card do i just specify the driver setup file?....this is extremely difficult...can you recommend any other programs to do this or can you provide me a tutorial?.....i dont know how to specify the driver location either.... i have tried that but the path will not show up when i hit "ok" after specifying where the driver is....and do i pick an ini file or an exe file? the program gives no explaination on if it is looking for an exe or an ini....these both can contain the driver info....

any help will be appreciated

:mad: :thumbd:

7. mbg19chev02

:doubt:

ok to update you i have used universal restore today including the drivers i would need for the desktop (jmicron raid driver (i dont have raid), nvidia updated infs, mass storage infs, standard vga infs, chipset infs, and atapi.sys.....

supplying the A.U.R. program with these drivers is exactly what it needs....

now after the restore i dont get a blue screen but instead i can't see anything..i just get a blank screen and the computer stays idle when trying to load windows

both hard drives are fine and both backup files are fine since they can be restored only to there original computers (laptop and desktop)....

now im looking into nlite and drivermax to see if maybe just maybe i can create a setup cd and tell it to install everything i have installed....

i know it will be much tougher then just getting the acronis universal restore to work so maybe you guys will have some more advice ... help when you can...thanks

8. DwnNdrty

For all drivers you wish to add, you have to pick the .inf file.

9. mbg19chev02

Re: how do i restore to a different computer? INF FILE

i am fully aware i need to pick inf files....thats what i have been doing....

no offense..

thank you...more help please

10. DwnNdrty

Then why did you have this "....and do i pick an ini file or an exe file? the program gives no explaination on if it is looking for an exe or an ini....these both can contain the driver info...." in your message #6

11. mbg19chev02

UPDATE: how do i restore to a different computer?

:doubt:

i would like to see if you guys have any further help with acronis universal restore.....trust me im not trying to make this repetitious but here are my remaining problems:

1.) during the restore process acronis universal restore asks me where are the inf drivers. and i tell it where they are.

2.) acronis also asks me to specify where to search just for mass storage inf drivers on the following page. i tell it.

3.) acronis then trys to restore the image and has two separate errors....(can't find the "jraid.sys" and "pciidex.sys") when each error window appears i tell it to find the file and it continues...

4.) now, after it continues the restore process it goes to the main screen of acronis and tells me the operation completed with errors (ok no big deal why?, because i told it where they were at which point it continued restoring everytime.)

5.) ok now it just said completed with errors (errors being the drivers not found right away) it did not say it failed.

because it did complete and i did give it all its INF files (video, mass storage, chipset, etc.) i believe windows should be restored (from the laptops backup file) to the desktop perfectly fine.

NOPE i get either a blank black screen and the desktop idles.....

or on another attempt ill get a blue screen with the same stop error:

"STOP: 0x0000007b (0xf78a6528, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

thanks for your continuous help : -\

12. mbg19chev02

oh i do apologize...my message #7 says this in it:

"ok to update you i have used universal restore today including the drivers i would need for the desktop (jmicron raid driver (i dont have raid), nvidia updated infs, mass storage infs, standard vga infs, chipset infs, and atapi.sys"

but making this argumentative is not my intent....i was just trying to inform you that i knew what to provide acronis with now...(maybe not before) but now i do...as the message before yours shows...sorry to lead you with an incorrect idea or implication that i was being argumentative.

now in my previous post it shows my whole up to date problem in detail.

please help....thanks again

13. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Just an un-offensive comment about this whole situation.

If I were to reinstall Windows and apps to the second machine from scratch, I'd be done now and have some confidence in the thing.

As I've said before, "sometimes the hard way is the easy way!".

14. jehosophat

jehosophat Registered Member

I agree 100% with the last comment from SeekForever.

For Restoring data then Acronis is good. But for moving to a new pc my experience is that its better to rebuild from scratch and then restore the data.

So I keep my data in a separate partition from the system.

15. mbg19chev02

i agree i guess that solves it....i give up with acronis untill acronis can perfect there own software so it is WAY MORE user friendly...i give up with acronis...and i agree.

ps. answer this last question guys:

do you think the boot.ini has anything to do with it...i get the same results restoring just the partition or the whole disk with mbr.

16. ranger779

ranger779 Registered Member

Assuming Windows, one method that has worked for me is to go into device manager and update your disk and display drivers to generic from the specific ones. Then create an image and use that.

Only problem I've had is Media Center can get screwed up with a DRM error message. I think it is based on the CPU being in a different family. Some people have been able to get around that, some haven't. You can google the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.