Some more BitDefender free tools

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by EsoxLucius, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EsoxLucius

EsoxLucius Registered Member

2. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Are these CMD under Windows or true GUI API-32-bit Apps?

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

4. EsoxLucius

GUI 32b; Integrated (toolbar) in IExplore and Firefox for phishing and integrated Encryption for latest Y! Messenger and latest MSN.

The only problem is that the files aren't available right now because of an update delay. :rolleyes: The problem should be solved in a couple of minutes. ;)

5. tipstir

Keep us posted when it's working correctly...

6. m00nbl00d

Bad move BitDefender... The anti-phishing toolbar uses Ask.com search engine.

No opt-in. No opt-out.

7. tipstir

You got to be kidding right? What the heck? I don't use browser toolbars I think that's a waste Foxit Pdf reader 2.3 had tried the same to install the Ask.com crap.

No I am out too.. delete..

8. m00nbl00d

No, I'm not kidding.

During installation there was no warning that Ask.com (in this case) was going to be installed (And no opt-in or opt-out, of course.).
    I opened Internet Explorer 8 in my virtual machine and there was a settings option, but, I couldn't open it, at all. I have no idea if in those settings feature something would be there to untick the Ask.com search. I doubt about it, actually.

But, since I couldn't open those settings, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. But, even if its like that, its unforgivable to force users to install Ask.com.

Shame!

If the guys of BitDefender want to bundle some toolbar, do it, but do it in a way that users can opt-in!

I guess there's nothing such as a free lunch.

9. m00nbl00d

The EULA also does not provide information on what information is sent to BitDefender and IAC (Ask.com).

10. EsoxLucius

Maybe we rushed it a little and I'm sure we will include all the necessary information ASAP. I don't know if the search box from ask.com will ever be removed though or if anyone could opt-in on it.

The ask box is optional in a way though because it won't hijack your default search engine/box in any browser.

11. m00nbl00d

I didn't test it more, but, could you let me know if it works similar to how Yahoo! toolbar in AVG LinkScanner works, as in, if I search on www.google.com, it will intercept my search as well? That's bad, because, the search will be sent to Ask.com, as well, no?

Can you also confirm that BitDefender toolbar is not a masked Ask.com toolbar? (I'm not trying to be rude, just trying to know more about it.)

I understand that BitDefender needs revenue to maintain the anti-phishing toolbar freely for users, but, users should have the freedom to decide whether or not they want to have that search engine on their browser. Because, even if they don't use it, as it is now, they're being imposed to install it, if they wish to use this protection.

What BitDefender people should ask themselves is: Would we like to someone else to impose us something we wouldn't want?

I also understand that a deal has been done with IAC, and that if BitDefender steps back, money will be lost (as in, not earned, and as in, sued(?)).
    But, maybe this is something you guys should have considered before such agreement.

I just don't understand why people always bend over to IAC? Why not Google? Yahoo!?
    So far, from all security vendors that have done, and that I know of, only AVG has picked the Yahoo! toolbar and their users don't have to install to be protected.

I'm not against the including of a toolbar or, in this case, a search engine; I am against the way it is done.

A security vendor should know better. If the user can't trust them, who will he/she trust? The bad guys? :(

Best regards

12. EsoxLucius

What I can confirm is:

- This is not a masked ask toolbar, it is a BitDefender toolbar with and added search box (in this case ask)

- No search, browsing habits, browsing history is captured and sent anywhere.

- The ask.com search box is mentioned in the first step of the installation.

- The choice regarding what toolbar to use is not mine to make and I can't really say why IAC. :)

Attached Files:

13. m00nbl00d

Yes, I'm aware that it alerts it will install Ask.com search engine, but, that is not the same as giving freedom to choose whether or not to install it. Different realities, I'm afraid.

Regards

14. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I can confirm that the added toolbar only permits you to use the search engine pointing to ASK. It does not change any function to your browser or how you have it setup.

Technically if BitDefender wanted to they could just remove the box and or add an option on it to hide it.

No issues found while running with it for 4hrs.

cheers.

15. m00nbl00d

Could you let us know when new "cleansed" versions come out? ;)

16. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

17. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Oh no
    Not another sell out.
    Congratulations to Ask.com :mad:

@EsoxLucius: what a sham.
    Where is the eula for Ask.com?
    Learn nothing from Symantec debacle?
    Been watching what comodo has done and reaped?
    What are you guys thinking?
    Recent dl of Bit AV2009 set for trial: wiped.
    @EsoxLucius: would you mind changing the title of the thread to "BitDefender's newfree tools now with Ask.com search by default"
    Thanks.
    Go Donna.
    Over and out.

18. progress

progress Guest

What about free real-time protection in BitDefender Antivirus Free? That would be a great addition :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.