Does ClamWin detect most viruses?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tonyseeking, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyseeking

tonyseeking Former Poster

If I just use ClamWin, will it pick up most viruses?

2. Someone

Someone Registered Member

According to AV-Test ClamAV detects ~90% of malware, but has a high amount of FP and low proactive detection.

3. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

And more importantly, ClamWin lacks realtime protection! Prevention is always better than cure. If your system is compromised, there's no guarantee that AV will be able to clean it.

I personally use ClamWin as on-demand tool here and on the road, to provide 2nd opinions.

4. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

I would say yes.
    More than the "big boys"? Probably not.
    ClamAV, though often maligned here, does have some amazing response times due to it's open source nature.
    (I often see many more updates per day than my current paid AV)

5. format_c

format_c Registered Member

most?! ROTFL. maybe about 30% of all known viruses today. far less of polimorphic ones...

6. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

I believe that ClamWin is a great product. I don't suggest it as a main AV (no realtime protection) but it's great for extra checks. You can submit FPs using their forums.

About the % of detected virus. My experience is that it can detect as many viruses as other products. I'm talking about viruses that I find in files...not checking it against a valid sample. Till now when avira flagged a file as infected, clamwin almost always did too. So in real life conditions, I don't think that other AV products detect more viruses than ClamWin.

7. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

To enhance the on demand performance in Spyware Terminator (that can use ClamAV to scan), I use ClamAV with it. Spyware Terminator/ClamAV integrated do a good work.

I use Avast to real-time protection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.