Rising Antivirus Free Edition 2009 out Now!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PaulBB, Jan 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

The eicar test virus is not a test, its a safe way to check if your av is functional.

2. 2good

2good Guest

I was using the free edition

3. Less

Less Registered Member

just installed Rising Antivirus 2009, noticed that there are several requests for connection to the internet....

firewall prompted these

RavCopy Module
    RegGuide Application
    Rising Installation Program
    Rising RsShell
    Rising tray framework
    rsnetsvr
    Smartup Application

are the above necessary? isnt it too many?

4. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Hi Less,
    Only 7 --I have 8 !. But yes I also think it is too many.
    You didn't mention Ravmond which is the e mail scanner for ports pop3 and SMT.
    I haven't quite found out myself what they all do, I am still working on that. Obviously some are for the engine and defs updates. I 'deny' the RSshell outgoing connection as it is this that fills the RAV mainpage with the newsletters etc in the free version. By denying it it keeps these newsletters at bay. The newsletters are removed in the paid version.
    The one that is presently irritating to me is Reg Guide.exe, this has a particularly aggressive dialler that was not present in Free RAV 2008. I have the updates set at manual and I do not subscribe to the 'Cloud technology' but this dialler keeps popping up constantly. I tried blocking it with Threatfire but then the whole AV does not work.
    Without the obvious --that is uninstalling Rising-- does anybody have any ideas how to stop this dialler from constantly appearing. ??

Regards Gordon

5. Less

Less Registered Member

hi gordon, exactly how i feel.
    anyone know if these services are required?

6. IBK

IBK AV Expert

what's going on in china? :blink: :thumbd:
    -> LINK

7. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Ugh, how disgraceful.

8. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Holy guacamole, thats the sadest news i heard in a while - im shocked to say the least :eek:

9. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

Im bit shocked too , Rising didnt need to do that. Rising confidence :thumbd:

10. gery

gery Registered Member

how come that people cane do that ugly stuff o_O o_O o_O
    bye bye rising:thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

11. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

That's definitely not the way to inspire confidence in a product!
    I'm glad I removed Rising av!:thumbd:

12. gery

gery Registered Member

me too

13. ghodgson

Despicable.

14. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  15. zen_usuario

zen_usuario Registered Member

I was using and only using the free version. I'm thinking no differences in detection between paid and free versions.

Have you tried to modify your configuration?
    Detailed settings>Auto-Protect>File Monitor>... select the appropiate level monitor (high or custom), the default is more restricted because more resources can affect pc performance.
    >Advanced Settings>Enable Smart Monitor (check it)>...and check "Monitor File Creation" and the same with "Monitor File Modification".

Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  16. Arup

Arup Guest

They just commited a hara kiri, now they are under the Chinese government microscope as well and will be bought down soon.

17. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

I have removed 3 posts that appear to be against this forum TOS with insults and inappropriate language for admin review

please have regards for other people and constructive criticism of a product is acceptable but racism & attacks on a country, company or group of people generally are not

18. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

I'm actually comforted by the news of the arrest. Very commendable that China is actually doing something about Corporate fraud and corruption. Too bad that the US and Europe aren't as concerned about the Corps in their jurisdictions.

19. tekkaman

tekkaman Registered Member

The ones I've seen connecting on my system are RegGuide.exe, RsShell.exe, Smartup.exe and Smartcopy.exe

Smartup.exe merely displays the list of updates while Ravcopy is the one that downloads them.

RegGuide is the program that tells Rising if you're running a legal copy or not. Everytime you update the programs sends home the username and password. The RsShell connects to check if you're running the latest version and to get the news if you haven't disabled the news in the settings. If you have the newest version it will say that you have the latest version installed. If you haven't updated it will display the date of the last update.

The firewall is more agressive connecting home than the antivirus. You'll see the firewall using it's own RegGuide.exe very often. Rising antivirus only uses it when updating.

There are more that connect from the firewall but we're talking about the AV here ^^

*edit: Rstray connects as well but I'm not sure what that one does. The chinese ver has an option in tray that says "what's my ip" maybe it's related to a function that the free ver doesn't have I'm not sure.*

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  20. ghodgson

Tekkaman
    From what I have seen this is not true, Regguide.exe initiates the dialler and it is constantly popping up, which is irritating.

Regards Gordon

21. tekkaman

tekkaman Registered Member

You should verify. Cause there are 2 RegGuide.exe. One for the firewall and one for the AV. They are in different locations. In my case the one of the AV is mostly silent unless I'm updating. They are very strict with their software and want to make sure there's no one running a pirated lisence. They track IP of the users for that, and who knows maybe mac address too. If you paid for it and you want to transfer your lisence to another computer you have to contact them or you won't be able to do the transfer.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  22. ghodgson

Hi tekkaman,
    To verify, it is the free RAV, I dont have the firewall. It is the free download on my only PC, so no licence worries, however, the dialler is a nuisance. If I use task manager to end/kill Reg guide.exe, the dialler closes.

Hope this clarifies.
    Gordon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.