UltimateDefrag - is this the best defragger ever?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by OliverK, Nov 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Easter - I had missed the bit about using Restoration. Using recuva does not get rid of deleted files ? They just keep showing up. Running Restoration others/delete completely does seem to get rid of the deleted files ? or is it just removing any references. anyway - why use both Recuva and Restoration ?

Back OT having played with these programs and successfully removed deleted file references I found no noticable difference when running UD2008. This suggests that deleted files don't really exist anymore as far as UD is concerned.

Finally I have yet to find a deleted file that I could successfully restore with either program. Yes a jpg can be restore but just shows no preview.

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I'm not sure what i'm doing but it seems to work in my favor by doing first a HIGH PERFORMANCE placement of some Program Files, notepad, explorer, all drivers etc. and then run a UD Boot Defrag by moving the scale to the left a few hefty degrees, maybe a quarter inch then afterwards run the RECUVA/RESTORATION routine bit. I still gain some noticable response and less drive grind afterwards and more quieter operation of the HD too.

Mind you i'm still experiementing with these different fomulas myself looking for the optimum sequence of settings.

EASTER

3. Dr payne

Dr payne Guest

Stay away from this company, has not provided any support.
    Did not reply to any support questions. All I get, is they will reply in 48 hours. Then nothing.

Ask for a refund a week ago (website says 100% "No Questions Asked" Money Back Satisfaction Guarantee. If you are unsatisfied with your purchase simply contact us within 30 days for a full 100% refund - no questions asked.) with no response from them. I get the auto response from them and thats it.:mad:

Next step write a letter to them, and see what happens.
    A P.O.Box, not good.

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

@Dr payne,

I have to agree with you... :(

5. Dr payne

Dr payne Guest

What can "little people" like us do?
    Will anyone listen?
    Who to write complaints to?

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I don't know, but when this things happen to me I just stop to use the software...

I'm using the trial version, so it seems that I will not use it... :D

7. Dr payne

Dr payne Guest

Worked during the trail, so I bought it.
    Now I get bsod.
    So I guess I got "trix" out of money I fork over to disktrix.

8. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Easter i did not undestand one thing
    maybe your tips are good
    can you exactly what do you do?

are not wipers

is not a wiper

they are like crapcleaner

so i did not understand how can you wipe your data?
    can you do a step by step please?
    thanks

9. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

The trial version of UltimateDefrag2008 create "iexplore.exe" in the installation directory. What is the reason?

10. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

Dr Payne,

I contacted support 3 days ago because I was/am getting the infamous "ERROR $LogFile restart pages differ" error.

They emailed me just now and basically told me they are aware it happens on some systems but are unsure why.Looks like a fix is not that close.

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Noticed that myself. Strange.

I had been having pretty reasonable results lately but ended up after one on the Boot Time Defrags of having to do insert my disc and do a Repair. Odd, but i suspect some corruption happen.

EASTER

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  12. tlu

tlu Guest

Me, too :mad:

13. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

Dropping unrelated files such as svchost.exe, explorer.exe or iexplore.exe (internet explorer) is a typical malware operation.

14. Dr payne

Dr payne Guest

I don't know what your are saying, my problem is there is no contact from them after many e-mails.
    They ignor their refund policy, and some of my support problems.

15. mantra

mantra Registered Member

but it's the default install
    i don't believe

16. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Many programs require IE for their windowing. I suspect the same is true here. They may need it in their directory for that purpse. It is a valid IE version and not malware.

Please don't spread idle rumor or speculate if you don't have facts.

17. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

It is now obvious that this is not a reputable company.

I would stay away from their software. There are plenty of other defraggers out there and no reason for anyone to put up with this kind of treatment from "DiskTricks". If Bunkhouse Buck is correct, UD is all hype anyway.

Silver

18. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

I'm fairly miffed at this company as well but I don't believe they're actually disreputable, so to speak. It really seems to be more a matter of being incredibly small and, in all likelihood, short-handed. I'm thinking that the product was developed by an individual who has a full-time position (or consults full-time) in some s/w-related field. As a result, the company is probably more of a part-time excursion than a full-time endeavor. Anyway, that's my take on the situation.

19. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Silver, it is not obvious at all. You are free to stay away, but I gather then you aren't speaking of first hand experience.

20. Dr payne

Dr payne Guest

I believe what you say is true. I received an email today from them saying they gave me the refund.:D Now if the money is actually put back into my account is another matter.

I don't know why I was not contacted after I submitted a couple of support requests? Maybe they are small/short-handed, but it cost them my business.

21. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

It's still is true to an extent but more so if it enters the running processes as an uncalled IExplorer. I subsequently fully deleted it with no ill effects whatsoever. The defrag still works fine without that extra IE.

They should at least explain the purpose of it instead of leaving users to grope as to what is this? I can fully understand Alcyon's or anyones elses suspicion over that. Completely legitimate.

EASTER

22. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Has anyone else been following the pricing on the Disktrix site for UD 2008?

It's absolutely the wackiest - almost like looking at a stock quote. Over the last several days, the price has decreased $1 per day - i.e. Monday it was $31.95, yesterday it was $30.95, and today the price is $29.95.

I hit the page primarily in the evening just to check if a later build has been released, if there's news on the boot time issue, etc., and just happened to notice these weird price reductions. Quite odd.......

23. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Well, i already invested in the latest version and i deleted the extra phantom IE and UD works perfectly without.

I don't have a clue what the world that was added for but don't care as long as it still does a functional and stable defrag + file placement & $MFT defrag.

EASTER

24. Rob_F

Rob_F Registered Member

Hi guys. This is Rob from Disktrix.

I just want to clarify a few things based on some of the comments and conjecture in this thread:

1. Disktrix is basically a 2.5 man team that has created what we certainly feel is a defragger that offers features like no other on the planet. It takes a lot of time, effort, energy and genius to create and while the product sells - it's certainly not enough to staff a full support team. In fact not even enough, thanks to the rampant piracy out there robbing us of our livelihood, to even support one full time support person. All it makes for us is a part time living. Bill Gates got to make his billions but unfortunately there will never be another Microsoft story since the software industry is being killed and spirits broken (including ours) by rampant theft of software through the piracy we all know about.

So while we do what we can to answer tech support questions, we sometimes during busy periods do take more than 48 hours to answer tech support questions. Most are answered at the tech support pages. The problem with the $logfile pages has changed error is something our support team is looking at. It occurs on only 1 in 200-300 systems so it is hard for us to work out this problem. All vanilla operating system installs that have not in some way been altered at a low level by some other software whether it be anti-virus etc works perfectly. We ask the few who have this problem to bear with us. We may or may not be able to correct this at this time since the boot tiem module has been demonstrated to properly work on a typical system.

2. The iexplorer.exe file in the UltimateDefrag folder is not spyware. It is simply a shortcut link to explorer created by our installer for direct access to tech support pages, our website and update page from the browser links in the UltimateDefrag program group in your start menu. It is somewhat amusing but at the same time sad that the first conclusion people jump to is that we are installing spyware on people's computers.

3. Dr Payne - you did receive your refund - albeit it slightly delayed (see #1 above) but it was "no questions asked".

4. Hard drive physical geometry varies widely. NTFS allocates is clusters from outer to inner in a cylindrical fashion.

5. We have made this post before. Get the program readfile.exe from here: http://www.winimage.com/readfile.htm. Run some tests placing files at lower cluster numbers (outer tracks) and higher cluster numbers (inner tracks). You will see vast difference. Also get HD Tune, you will see the difference in transfer performance at the beginning of the test compare to the end of the test as the test begins to read higher cluster numbers (inner tracks). The proof is right there.

Today we announced our upcoming "DefragExpress!" - UltimateDefrag is for the power user. DefragExpress! is for everyone. We think you'll clearly see that we have again paved new ground in the area of defragging through this product. It's fast and clever and has a unique defrag algorithm that achieves it's speed and high level of optimization.

We hope you all continue to support our products. We have been closely watching this thread since it started and we appreciate our staunch supporters.

Thanks
    Rob F
    DiskTrix Inc.

25. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks Bof F
    i tried ultimatedefrag on my pc
    without firewall or av or security software it works great
    the only glitch i found is this using the boot defrag

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.