What do you guys recommend for Imaging software?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Killtek, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Killtek

Killtek Registered Member

Ok... I finally have a security solution that I'm happy with: NIS 2009 and Zemana AntiLogger (and probably PrevXEdge soon :) )

Now I'm looking for an imaging tool.. What do you guys recommend?

2. illicit

illicit Registered Member

EAZ-FIX :thumb: :D

3. mhallerman

mhallerman Registered Member

Without a doubt, ShadowCraft's ShadowProtect Desktop.

I used Acronis TI for a few years before I found ShadowProtect Desktop, and once I did I never looked back. It's reliability and speed are great.

Give it a shot - I believe they have a 30 day trial -

Mark.

4. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

True Image Acronis.

5. illicit

illicit Registered Member

3 posts, 3 different recommendations. That should make it easy on you. :cautious:

I also originally used Acronis, then I switched to EAZ-FIX. I have never trialed Shadowprotect.

6. Creer

Creer Registered Member

My vote for ShadowProtect Desktop.

7. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

paragon drive backup:thumb:

8. Minimax2000

Minimax2000 Registered Member

Coming from TrueImage I found ShadowProtect. A gem among rocks.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

image for windows,paragon drive backup pro ,shadow protect desktop.
    the reason i reccomended paragon drive backup pro version was because it has a windows based recovery cd which has better hardware support. shadow protect desktop also has a windows based recovery cd.

cant go wrong with any of the above.

stay away from acronis true image. it never worked on my old computer and when i tryed to uninstall it left services and drivers behind.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  10. HAN

HAN Registered Member

If your want a GUI interface, lodore's recommendations are the ones I'd choose from. If you want a minimalist app, Image for DOS would be my other choice...

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Also Acronis and Eaz-fix use the linux recovery medium and it might not work for you, it didn't for me. I also use Shadowprotect.

Pete

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

oh ye forgot to mention image for windows uses image for dos as a restore environment. you can create a bartpe cd.

so the op may want to try the other two i reccomended.

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

To all those mentioned above, I would also add Clonezilla, if you're looking for a free one:

http://clonezilla.org/

I've used it with great success on Win partitions and disks, as well as Linux. The interface is a bit unfriendly as things go, but it gets the job done well.

14. timcan

timcan Registered Member

Macrium Reflect works for me. :thumb:

15. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

If you have Vista Business or Ultimate, just use the backup in Vista. I have tried and tested it on my Business version with zero issues. Complete and data backups work perfectly. I won't be using any 3rd party any more if Windows 7 can provide this kind of secure backups.

16. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I have limited experience with imaging software. I selected Image for Windows/DOS.

I have tested (on one PC) a restore from the Image for Windows created bootable DVD and a restore from internal SATA hard drive using Image for DOS. Both worked! I have assumed that it works on another PC.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=224570

I briefly installed Paragon Drive Backup 9.0 but did not fully try it out. It had more options than I felt I needed. Paragon's products have excellent feedback from users.

Some of the others that I have heard many good things about are Drive Snapshot and Shadow Protect.

There are some good comments on Drive Imaging Software here (Especially in Post #7):

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=220553

O&O's DiskImage Pro looked very promising but I did not fully try it out because you have to buy it first to do a restore. I could not find sufficient feedback from users. It looks like a good value ($30. Includes WinPE boot CD).

17. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Acronis (version 8 ) works very well for me, although I've read that later versions are more bloated. But I could 'imagine' (no pun intended) that it would be easy to get a few pointers for creating and restoring a simple image, without using all the bells and whistles.

I use an external harddrive, usually not connected to my computer, and a bootable Acronis cd-r.

18. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Assuming that you looking for an image-backup solution, not an instant-recovery solution, any of those mentioned will do the job - so long as:

a) its recovery media recognizes your hard drive(s)!
    ....and
    b) it's easy enough for you to use!

I use Drive Snapshot to backup because it's small, portable and fast, but my family prefers Acronis True Image because of it's user-friendly interface. We all backup to an external USB drive.

JA

19. glentrino2duo

glentrino2duo Registered Member

another CloneZilla user here...

20. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

DriveimageXML and Macrium Reflect are both very good,free options,also if you download the free Seagate Diskwizard,it includes Acronis.The free options all have one thing in common,as far as I'm aware there's none that allow you to create a differential image,but that's a minor inconvenience.

21. raakii

raakii Registered Member

First of all , try whatever imaging software advised on this thread .

My choice is Drive Snapshot.Others don't even comes close to it:thumb: :thumb:

22. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I use Acronis TI 9 for XP, and ShadowProtect Desktop 3.3 for Vista. If I had to buy another license it would be ShadowProtect without any second thought (it is the most expensive, unfortunately).

People have mentioned Eaz-Fix, I thought this was a rollback application not a real imaging software.

23. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

When you change Puters that's the time to stop using Acronis TI.
    It works for me at the present time as ALL I do with it is a full backup
    and restore. The other functions in it a error prone IMHO.

I am using Windows Vista Business and have been testing Drive Snap shot.
    It backed up my Puter in a timely manner. However, I have been unable to test the Restore function with it as I am using the DOS function to create and restore. I am only interested in Disaster Recovery with Drive Snap shot therefor I must use the Dos functions to back up and restore. Evidently Vista and Drive Snap using Dos have conflicts with drive letters. You know the wonderful innovations in Vista with the drive letters. Maybe the gentleman that wrote Drive Snap will eventually fix the Vista problems. Or maybe it's something I have missed.

Also hear that Shadow Protect is a good program but I have not tested it.
    Drive Snap should be a lot faster than Shadow Protect.

24. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Whyo_O??

25. mhallerman

mhallerman Registered Member

I echo Peter's comment - SP Desktop is actually the fastest I have used - it only takes me about 15 or 20 minutes to restore the entire 147GB image of my C: partition from my external Seagate Freeagent drive as opposed to about 7+ hours when I used to do it with Acronis TI - they had some Linux driver issues with external USB drives I believe...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.