ESS Blocking ntpd

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by quagmire, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quagmire

quagmire Registered Member

ESS has begun blocking all my ntpd communication.

I am running in automatic mode. Prior to today, ntpd ran just fine. I set ESS to log blocked communication messages and am now getting messages like this one, ad infinitum:

4/1/08 11:22:47 PM Communication denied by rule 18.7.21.144:123 192.168.1.100:123 UDP 80000130 C:\Program Files\NTP\bin\ntpd.exe Condor\ntp

What is this mysterious rule "80000130"? I initially thought it was some kind of file corruption, so I uninstalled and reinstalled ESS. This did seem to fix the problem - but only until I got the latest program and virus definition updates.

Furthermore, this only happens in automatic mode. When I switched to interactive mode, I was queried about ntpd, and was successfully able to grant access. Ntpd runs fine in interactive mode. If I switch back to automatic mode, ntpd again is blocked by the mysterious rule "8000030".

Since I can run in interactive mode as a work-around, this isn't a show stopper. Nevertheless, I'd like to understand what is going on.

I suspect this is a bug, but I thought I'd post it here in case this rings a bell with anyone.

I am running ESS 3.0.642.0, on Windows Vista SP1.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. ada4u

ada4u Registered Member

I had the same problem yesterday with openvpn, and today I send the problem to eset trought the contact custom care form and the problem was solved 5 mins later

3. quagmire

quagmire Registered Member

This bug is fixed in the just released version 3.0.650.0

Bravo, ESET!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.