update file corrupt

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by blevit, Jan 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blevit

blevit Registered Member

hello to all. today trying to update tds but the dowloaded file was corrupt. and say trying another server,is the second day with the same problem and no update at all .wot to doo_O? thanks in advance

2. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

me too, same pb.

3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hello Celso, and GK (see your posting after i hit send)
    did you see this thread here: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=19672 ?
    Did you also try with a new fresh update.cfg file from the TDS update site? Drop the file in the TDS-3 directory and restart TDS to have another try, or get the radius from the site manually once you're there anyway, after which a TDS (re)start should bring you the new radius --
    [Radius] • Systems Initialised [31222 references - 11118 primaries/8918 traces/11186 variants/other]
    today.

4. gkweb

Jooske, i have done this many times, and the problem still occurs each weeks.

This is why i think it is related to my ISP.

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

ftp://ftp.pc-techie.info/tds/radius.td3
    http://fractus.mat.uson.mx/~tds/radius.td3
    http://www.rootgap.com/tds/radius.td3
    http://radius.turvamies.com/radius.td3
    http://www.toonbox.de/tds/radius.td3
    http://www.zeylstra.nl/tds/radius.td3
    http://www.attechnical.com/diamondcs/radius.td3
    http://www.diamondcs.com.au/tds/radius.td3
    http://diamondcs.fileburst.com/radius.td3

This list i just got a few moments ago.
    When you rightclick and save target you get it as update.cfg.txt. Make sure you rename to update.cfg
    when you drop it in the TDS directory and reload TDS to be able to use it.
    If you have errors on the first server you can edit the file and move another one as mirror #1. Make sure you don't create extra empty lines or extra spaces for it might not work then properly anymore.

6. gkweb

i got afresh upadte.cfg and again and again the same pb.
    I must download it myself from the website, i think i will do my own updater
    which will download from the website only to bypass something i guess is my ISP restriction (last time i wasn't able to send a mail to Jason, is this an ISP war ?)

7. blevit

blevit Registered Member

Hello gkweb looks like we are the only 2 wiht this problem or woto_O?
    any one had the same problem. :'(

8. Caliban

Caliban Registered Member

I have the same problem folks, as always I hope it is fixed next week. My ISP is DirecWay, so I don't believe it's an ISP issue. :'(

9. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

mmm..no problems at all over here :rolleyes:

regards.

paul

10. gkweb

may be it isn't related to ISP, but the pb exists.

11. Caliban

The thousand words. :(

Attached Files:

• hj.GIF
      hj.GIF
      File size:
      89 KB
      Views:
  12. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Have you tried to put these lines in your HOSTS file:

64.91.255.87 tds.diamondcs.com.au
    64.91.255.87 www.diamondcs.com.au
    64.91.255.87 www.dcsresearch.com

and checked whether is no other line with www.dcsresearch.com in it?

And what if you put now as first one in your update.cfg the tds.diamondcs.com.au server?
    That means this one:
    http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/radius.td3

13. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/tds/radius.td3
    FanJ, did you see in the new update.cfg the DCS link has changed to the one i post here?

If a not registered user would try the update via the console, one will get error messages, not exactly sure which one.
    But if licensed users get "corrupt" for every server each time then something is very wrong.

I don't expect firewalls b eing a blocking factor, as you see to be able to connect to the mirrors, getting those corruption messages, or.....?
    Can you see in PE if there is a proper connection going on and maybe you're able to look with the socket spy to the first initialising packets?
    I have it the one time f.e. mirror 1 is wrong several times, and 2 is ok, while others have that same mirror 1 doing fine all times, so at times i move such a mirror down some places or get a new update.cfg.
    Just not seeing any logics, only that it seems more frequent.
    Did you in your firewall make a rule for the update.exe to be granted trusted zone and internet connection and no restrictions on that?
    If you click on any of the mirrors in the messages here, do make sure not any download helper program is used but the original windows downloader, maybe TDS is making those problems in such cases?
    I have such a downloadhelper, but not set as default download program, maybe such settings can make a difference?
    For ISPs you think they might have the former version in their caches? Are you using their proxies or own proxies maybe?

14. gkweb

it was a firewall issue for me... :blink:

in the past i have allowed only DCS IP's which in fact has changed since.
    By giving full access to updates.exe the update works, but i don't understand the following :

The update give me an older version ?

15. Caliban

Your post inspired me gkweb. I rechecked my firewall, not it, rechecked my proxy settings, my oh my do I feel dumb. I updated and got the same wrong update, but I'm happy none the less. :D

16. gkweb

by wanting too much security we prevent softwares from working :)

17. Caliban

You are right, I locked down so tight I couldn't get to my bank login. It hurt to ease up the IE settings. ;)

18. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

For the update, you might remember if the first server gave you an older update (hmm!) so you might like to move that one to a lower place in the update.cfg file, and see what happens with a next update.
    The older downgrade might have been in your ISP's caches.

Hope in your firewalls too it is possible to allow the update.exe some internet activity and if necessary to use other programs for that goal. You'll still be safe as you have to grant those other programs internet access individually too again.

19. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

You know, I'm noticing that the size of the updates has gone down - for a long time, it went up and up and up - now it's back down to around, what 800K?

What's up with that?

Jooske - That one you put in the thread up above works great - it seems most of the mirrors still aren't updated, because I just tried a trial "Update" (after having had to manually install Friday's update) and it instantly down-graded the the updates to a lesser number.

It seems to me that something is definitely wrong in the "updating the servers" food-chain here. Pete

20. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Pete, I have a feeling that this is a propagation problem through cached servers that is affecting the updates. I have no way of proving whether this is so but I do know that ppl have been complaining in my ISP's user groups about Inktomi cached servers being slow to update. Though what could be causing the problem I have no idea o_O

BTW ref. update size, maybe Gavin has been doing some database optimisation? My radius file in the TDS folder is 1198KB

21. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Pete,

Sometimes there is also an update for these files in your TDS3-dir:
    advscan.dll and dcsmutex.dll
    Put them in your crcfiles.txt (if they are not already there), and your crc32-test will notify you in case they've changed.

In this respect I have a question for DCS:
    When you manually download the Radius-file, you simply copy it into your TDS3-dir.
    In case advscan.dll and/or dcsmutex.dll are changed, you will not get those.
    Am I right?

Yes, I tend to agree.
    BTW: maybe a suggestion for DCS: would it be a good idea to notify us in case update.cfg has been changed on the DCS-server: maybe a little posting on the private-board for example, and/or maybe adding a date on the following DCS-site for the latest update.cfg.
    http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=update
    Well just a suggestion, nothing more ;)

22. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Quoting myself:

I just had a quick look at the Help-file.
    Those 2 files are not by default in crcfiles.txt according to the Help-file.
    In case you would like to add them, just add those two lines into your file crcfiles.txt:

%TDSDIR%\advscan.dll
    %TDSDIR%\Dcsmutex.dll

In case you would like to check if you have the latest ones, here are their MD5-checksums at the moment on my machine:
    fa43131291ea7db8aaf87c2037368813 advscan.dll
    afc416da0ea38ea8c670a36e3a154016 DCSMUTEX.DLL

23. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Pilli - See screenshot for my radius file size. It's possible that I just didn't see the entire count before the Radius Updater finished the d/l and closed out - but I'm wondering (just as general information) - has the Radius file been "optimized"? And, if so, in what respect?

I'm a little concerned because of all the instances I've seen lately where someone comes in and says "TDS didn't detect this (fill-in-the-blank)", but then Gavin or someone comes back and says "TDS does so detect such-and-such using the database from this time-period...."

So what I'm asking is, are things being dropped from detection from one DB to the next? If so, is it by design or by accident?

FanJ - I'll be back with a response to what you posted as soon as I figure out how to do that! :D What size are both of them supposed to be currently and what's their latest update dates? Pete

Attached Files:

24. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

I have not noticed any smaller updates except when I get a corrupted download and I can see that the amount of primaries etc. is smaller than the ealier one.

Here is the latest 1.16MB radius file checksum from my desktop:
    ---------------------------------------------------
    The file <C:\Documents and Settings\Alan\Desktop\radius.td3> has the following Checksum(s)

MD5 - 6C93D1697B62D74F83A2419A0E084B0C

:D

25. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Pete,

With respect to adding those files into crcfiles.txt: see the sticky thread about the CRC-test.

With respect to their MD5 checksums:
    Do you have CryptoSuite from DCS?
    It's very easy to let CS calculate a MD5 checksum; Alan just told me how to copy it :D

advscan.dll
    Size: 78.848
    18 DEC 2003
    The file <C:\...\advscan.dll> has the following Checksum(s)
    MD5 - FA43131291EA7DB8AAF87C2037368813

Dcsmutex.dll
    Size: 22.947
    8 JAN 2004
    The file <C:\...\DCSMUTEX.DLL> has the following Checksum(s)
    MD5 - AFC416DA0EA38EA8C670A36E3A154016

PS: I prefer a checksum like MD5 ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.