Cannot Reinstall Nod32

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Louisa Jane, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Louisa Jane

Louisa Jane Registered Member

Hi, I am a computer novice, so I apologise in advance!
    I have Nod 32 antivirus installed on my computer. Since last week a little red box has been popping up saying unable to update unknown username or password. Anyway I emailed ESET and they said to uninstall Nod32 which I have done then reinstall which I am unable to do as when I try and download from their site another box pops up to ask for username and password - it won't do it as it says;
    This server is requesting that your username and password be sent in an insecure manner (basic authenication without a secure connection)
    Can anyone tell me what to do as I am hopeless with blinking computers - it may be something really simple, but at the moment I have no protection on my computer!

2. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

When you try to download NOD32 from Eset's site you need to type in your user name and password they gave you when you bought and registered NOD32. You need to type in your user name and password exactly. Also make sure you remove all left over NOD32 files. Should be some in C/Program Files/Eset. Use CCleaner registry issues also.

Hint................burn a copy of NOD32 along with your user name and password for future use.

3. Louisa Jane

Hi, I am trying to do this, I already had my username and password, but ESET customer service confirmed that I was using the right ones. The box will still not accept them, it says that I have to send them in an 'insecure manner' which I do not understand - do I have to disable something on my computer?

4. Dieselman

Are you talking about the secure box that pops up in the site before you download it? Does that box pop up? If it doesnt are you using Firefox and maybe Firefox is blocking it. Have you tried Internet Explorer? When you click download NOD32 make sure your clicking the correct one you bought and not the Smart Security package. Do you even see a screen to type in your user name and password?

5. Louisa Jane

This is the bit I have been instructed to download;
    ESET NOD32 3.0 Antivirus for Win XP/2000/Vista (32-bit). When I click dowmload , a blue box with the title Connect to download.eset.com and a picture of 2 keys at the top, pops up - it says The server download.eset.com at ESET NOD32 antivirus requires a username and password.
    This server is requesting that your username and password be sent in an insecure manner (basic authentication without a secure connection). It then has 2 boxes for username and password. I fill in the boxes, but this box just appears again.
    I don't think I have Firefox, at least I've never seen an icon or mention of it.

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hello Louisa,

Is the box you are speaking of with the "Warning:" message like the one below ?

[​IMG]

If so, what that Warning: message means is that when you type in your user name and password it will not be encrypted, i.e. SSL,TSL....etc. It will be plain text but as a sequence of base-64 characters. Whether that is an issue for someone is their prerogative. I personally have no issue when downloading this file from Eset using basic authentication. However, for financial purposes and numerous other private transactions, I would not be using basic authentication.

Basic access authentication

Simply put there are no adjustments that need to made to your browser. Simply place your user name and password in the box and continue, IF you understand somewhat better what it's meaning by basic authentication.

HTH,
    Bubba

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  7. Louisa Jane

Bubba, thanks for your reply,yes it is that box, the thing is I can't get past it - I type in my username and password, but the beep noise sounds and the box pops up again!

8. Dieselman

9. Louisa Jane

I'm clicking on ESET NOD32 3.0 Antivirus for Win XP/2000/Vista(32 bit) as instructed by Eset customer support - I am putting in the exact username and password that I used initially and that customer support verified was correct. Bubba has kindly offered to try for me, so we will see what happens - what a palaver!!

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I receive the same results you are receiving. I would now suggest you review the e-mail eset sent you and double check that it matches what you and I are attempting to use.

Bubba

Just to be sure, if you use the below link which is the EAV msi, it does or does not work ?

http://download.eset.com/download/win/eav/eav_nt32_enu.msi
    If you have not done this yet, when you go to the below page and input your e-mail address, does it come to you via e-mail with the same one being used. Also make sure upper case is being used where necessary and same for lower case.

http://www.eset.com/support/lost_license.php

Just to make sure, I tried it on the ESS download but it does not work. realizing it is only valid for one of them

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  11. Louisa Jane

The 1st link doesn't work and I've emailed for password reminder.

12. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

If you are referring to the first link in my above post, on my end it brings up the same box I'm showing in my very first poist. What happemns on your end :doubt:

13. Louisa Jane

Yes, it brings up the 1st box.

14. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

Are you typing it in or copy and pasting it? Sometimes with a copy and paste you can end up copying an extra space at the end of the Username or Password which gets added an makes it invalid.

If typing are you using the same case? I've found problems when entering the username in lower case and find it works when you match the case in the email EXActLy!

Have you any 0 (zeros) or O (o's) in the password? Sure you have them them correct?

15. Louisa Jane

No, I have tried typing it in and copying and pasting - I have just noticed though, rereading their emails to me from customer support, that on the first email it has my original password and correct expiration date and on the later email it is a different password and expiration date(with the same username) - maybe it is a **** up their end?
    Do they have a phone number for customer support?

16. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi there, please send me a Private Message with the Username and Password that you have been allocated and I will test it for you.

Cheers :D

17. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

It was already tested and it does not work.

18. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Sorry, missed that. I have sent Louisa Jane a Private Message.

Cheers :D

19. Louisa Jane

Thank you chaps for all your help - I feel a bit of a fool, but glad it is sorted out. I bought a new laptop a few months ago and installed Nod32 on it - that was the correct username and password, I didn't realise it knocked out the old codes for my PC. You would have thought customer support would have told me that and not sent me two different usernames (one of which I don't think was mine at all as it had a different expiry date).
    At least I've found out about your website (thanks to Reluctant_Spender at MSE!).
    Once again, many thanks,
    Louise

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.