F-Prot Antivirus?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by alloucho, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alloucho

alloucho Registered Member

i have installed the last version today and it seems light on ressources and quick in computer scan. is the detection rate also good?
    i have also read that it´s heuristic is superb, but in other forums they say that it produces many flase alarms. what´s the truth??

2. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

hi, unfortunately you just can't rely on what people say. however if you want my opinion, i will say its detection rate is quite good but i wouldn't say its heuristics are superb, thats avira and nod speciality.
    If you don't search for viruses and is an average user, it should keep you safe.

3. alloucho

alloucho Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. i used avira premium before (6 months free). my pc was infested by a worm, that avira couldn´t delete even after a reboot.
    that´s why i wouldn´t rely on it, caue it´s desinfection capabilties are not so good.

4. Frisk

Frisk AV Old-Timer

I am obviously biased, being the original author of F-PROT, so keep that in mind, please.

F-PROT was the first product to use the phrase "heuristic scanning", back in... uhm ... 1990 or 1991. At that time we had really good heuristics for DOS viruses. Those heuristics became obsolete as DOS disappeared, but at that time we had developed a set of heuristics for macro viruses, also pretty good.

Time passed, and at some point we implemented heuristics for W32 parasitic viruses based on a neural network. It turned out that there were too many problems with that, so we started on a different approach - or rather, three different approaches, codenamed Maximus, GSA and Eldorado. Those are really three independent heuristic "engines" within F-PROT, using different method and each with its own strengths and weaknesses.

Some of those heuristics are always active, but others are only turned on at higher heuristic settings - those higher settings give better detection, but also a higher chance for false positives. Also, F-PROT will flag certain packers at higher settings. So yes, you will get false positives, in particular if you set the scanner to "paranoid" (something which is not possible in the GUI, only the command-line program).

Now, our heuristics are under very active development, and right now I have a huge list in front of me of heuristic rules that are supposed to be added over the next few months. Just wait and see.

5. computer geek

Thats allright, ;) if you want you can try mcafee for free by typing natwest mcafee in google gives you free mvs 1 year, and then try these steps to remove the worm.

6. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

Hmmmmmm I've never tried F-Prot before.

7. cp4eva

cp4eva Registered Member

Could you please keep your McAfee adverts in PM?

Back to F-Prot. I've been using it for nearly a year and find it light, quiet and problem-free. That's what I ask for in an AV and it delivers. I run it with a software FW and a behavior blocker and keep my online activities on the straight and narrow. You really need to try it for yourself and see if it gives you what you want, as well. :)

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

but what about Vista. I tried it once and BSOD. I dont see much in their forum as to any advancement. Not knocking it but that is what is holding me back. The price is great.

9. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I thought their most recent version was for vista? not sure have been to busy to investigate...

10. computer geek

Actually, i was helping him with the infected worms part, since he is the maker of this thread i was trying to help in a different aspect. not advertising. ;) :p

+10 :)

11. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Current FPAV6 not yet ready for Vista. Both 32bit and 64bit versions STILL in beta-stage after a LONG period of testing.

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

reinstalled and after trying to create a scheduled scan, it would not saved. So Frisk, you can talk all you want about proactive detection and all the engines in the world, but until you can bring a Vista compatible product to the table, it is all smoke to me. Heck at this rate, Prevx will have their beta out first, maybe.:doubt:

13. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

But please notice that the topic of the thread is F-prot. Nowhere do I find a request for alternative AVs. You are OT I think. 4 shayme!

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

correct you are,

it is quite worrying how slowly fprot are taking with their vista version, and same goes for prevx.

are they maybe waiting for SP1 to be released?

15. sasa843

sasa843 Registered Member

Hi,

It's ashame that there have not been any new virus description for a year and so.

16. JimGoo

JimGoo Guest

F-Prot 6 in concert with SuperAntiSpyware 4x Pro (beta) work perfectly on my Vista Ultimate box.

Also, F-Prot's scheduled scan feature works fine for me.

Sorry to hear some folks are having problems.

Regards,
    Jim

17. Blackcat

There are always some problems with beta versions.

18. Frisk

Frisk AV Old-Timer

There was a delay, yes, partly caused by some (former) employees not doing their job, but I'm not going into details here. Version 6.0.9 should be out very soon, and should eliminate most of the known issues.

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

thank you, looking forward to its release.

20. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Any chance on licensing options for less than 5 computers?

21. Blackcat

It's the same cost whether you have 1 or up to 5 Home computers!

22. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Wow. Good to hear from Frisk.
    F-Prot 6 is good. I suppose it is a good base for future tuning.

Looking forward to future update.

23. ChrisTek

ChrisTek Registered Member

Before the implosion of AV products, F-Prot was the only offering. It did the job v-e-r-y well despite no competition. I used it, then with each new Windows OS had to use a different AV to get around the "newness" of them (driver issues weren't the only problems).

Because of how computing was in the bad old days, you learned hard about security (in over 10 years online, I have only gotten 1 virus from helping a friend open a file -- but was stopped in it's tracks -- by Command AV [which uses the F-Prot engine] I used 6 years ago).

It's a good product, and has a history to prove it.

24. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

Not to be nickpicking, but F-Prot was never the only offering, even back in the DOS days you also had Central Point anti-virus that later became Norton AV and was the base for Microsoft AV(included in DOS 6 if I remember correctly.)

That being said, it was very good back then, and still do nicely today but the past is never a good indication of the future. I mean, CA antivirus was excellent some years ago, not so today

25. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

A serious of off topic posts about other AV's were removed. Posts in this thread should be restricted to discussing F-Prot.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.