Upgrade replacement disks.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Dave49, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave49

Dave49 Registered Member

I started with Acronis 8. Since then I have bought each upgrade to the current TI 11. Since I just downloaded the upgrade file and installed it to my XP system, I don't actually have an installation disk for TI 11. I think I might need to get one, if it's possible.

I have tried a couple times to create a bootable rescue CD using my TI 11. But it never works. It puts a Recovery Manager folder on the CD (about 20MB of files in the folder) but there are no bootable files on it. So I'm guessing that I need to get the CD in addition to just downloading the upgrades. Any way I can get one for TI 11?

Thanks,

~Dave

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Just burn the TI installation file that you downloaded to a CD. If you have another computer, you could always just download the installation file again, but I like to keep a copy of the file on CD just in case I need it and the Internet is down.

That's usually all you see on the boot disk, so you probably have successfully created the Recovery boot disk.

Did you try booting from it? You should try this and confirm that you know how to boot your system from a CD instead of the hard drive. This differs from system to system. For some, you need to change the boot device order in the BIOS setup. For others, Dells for example, you can press the F12 key and select the CD/DVD drive as the boot device.

3. Dave49

Dave49 Registered Member

Usually the installation CD is bootable. Would just putting the 137MB upgrade file on a CD make this bootable?

Yes, and it does not boot. Instead I just end up back in Windows again. I did change the boot order in my BIOS to make the CD drives boot first.

I just thought there would be a way to get the TI 11 install disk for a nominal fee, and that would be bootable.

~Dave

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

If you can't make a bootCD, then you probably are going to have trouble booting an ATI CD and doing a successful restore. Burning a CD should be pretty old for any program intended to accomlish that function. It could even be that the BootCDs you are making are fine but the implementation of linux on the CD won't boot on your PC.

5. Dave49

Dave49 Registered Member

Well, I just tried to boot from my original ATI 8 CD. It doesn't. I just go straight into my OS like the CD wasn't there. So now I guess you understand my question in that other thread? Seems like that's the way I will have to recover my HDD if it fails. Right?

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=199259

~Dave

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

If I were you, I'd stop the frustration by making a VistaPE disk instaed trying to us a regular ATI boot disk. It's the fastest and easiest solutin inthe long run -- maybe the short run too.

If you can make valid backups, then you can can restore with the VistaPE disk.

7. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

Dave,

You asked the question:
    Usually the installation CD is bootable. Would just putting the 137MB upgrade file on a CD make this bootable?

The answer here is no. Having the downloaded executible file on a CD might be wise as a backup but in itself it’s not bootable.

It sounds like you have a bigger issue in that having installed TrueImage and created the Rescue Media CD, which should be bootable itself, it will not boot. With the CD in the drive are you shutting down the PC and then re-starting it? I believe you are.

Another test might be to try booting to perhaps a Windows XP CD to see if your system will boot to it. It appears that your system may not be recognizing any bootable CD and if true that needs to be identified and fixed.

Bruce

EDIT:
    As shieber points out a VistaPE disk is another option but realize that it also requires booting to a CD for a restore.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  8. Dave49

Dave49 Registered Member

Ok, I am a complete and utter moron. You'll never guess how simple this was for me. I have 2 DVD drives on my machine. One is a reader, and the other one is a RW drive. I was trying to boot from the RW drive, and it was being ignored. So, being the dense guy I am, I finally tried it in the reader. All my disks boot just fine now. I am a jerk, and I'm embarrassed. Sorry for wasting everyones time with my stupidity. :oops:

~Dave

9. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

Glad to hear that it worked out. Let us know if you have additional issues.

Bruce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.