Security zone - where to create?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by yairron, Dec 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yairron

yairron Registered Member

I use Xp + external Hd for BackUp.

Where should I create the SZ for System recovery?

Thanks

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

A secure zone is optional. It has some limitations and advantages which do not apply to other storage places. If these are acceptable to you by all means use a secure zone but if you have it on an external drive do not activate the Acronis Start up Recovery Manager. When the ASRM is activated the MBR is modified and should the external drive not be present for any reason the computer will not be bootable. The official way to remove the ASRM is to use TI to remove the secure zone and this of course can be inconvenient though it does restore the MBR to its original state.

I have used a secure zone for a long time on an internal drive. I do not use the ASRM. I like the fact that the zone is hidden from all other Windows processes. The FIFO basis of managing backup images is so simple to run automatically it suits me to a T.

Keep in mind that where ever you store backups and regardless of the number of images stored there should that drive or location fail you will have no backups at all. It is not possible to copy whole drive images out of a secure zone to other storage media. I used to overcome this by making seperate images to an additional drive. I now get the extra security by restoring recent images to a trio of swappable hard drives.

Xpilot

3. sparkymachine

sparkymachine Registered Member

go along with all Xpilot says there. If I had an external drive I suppose it would depend on the relevant HDD sizes. If the ext HDD were big enough I'd have a secure zone on it big enough for two or three system backups (just C: ,not all partitions) and the rest for other other backups, and double up the backups to DVD as I do now.

4. yairron

yairron Registered Member

Thanks for the replay/

So, I just activated ASRM, without create SZ so the SZ created in C:.

What do you mean in TI?

Thanks

5. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

TI = True Image.

If you are using the ASRM it is important to also create a workable recovery CD. The reason for this is to enable recoveries to be made even if your C drive is damaged.

Xpilot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.