The wirdest thing ......

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bob_rock, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob_rock

bob_rock Registered Member

Hi ,

I have a problem with True Image 10 , if a make a backup of my partition on the other partition everything is ok , I can validate the image and it's good.
    But if i move this image file anywhere on the disk (change the directory) and then validate the image it's corrupted. o_O .
    Well the first thought was ok , my hard drive is gonna die (had this kind of problems before with CRC errors). Bought a new HDD (had to do it anyway) tried it on new HDD, the same thing :mad: I tried to leave the image where it was created and just burned it on too the DVD. Did that , validated the image and IT WAS CORRUPTED AGAIN?? :eek:
    i'm using WINDOWS XP SP2 on 250 GB Western Digital SATA II.

Thanks in advance

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Download a run memtest http://www.memtest.org/ for several hours. Faulty memory can cause these types of problems.

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Definitely run MEMTEST for at least 12 hours.

How big is the backup file you are creating?

Some systems have problems dealing with large files. They shouldn't, but problems with the motherboard's chipset can cause corruption.

Have you tried splitting the file at 746MB and copying the pieces?

Have you tried making the backups from the TI Recovery CD and validating them from the Recovery CD. This eliminates the influence of programs running under Windows that might be interfering with the verification.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bob_rock,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that thomasjk and jmk94903 are correct. It is possible that the archive is being declared corrupt because of faulty data transfers. Please run a memory diagnostics such a Memtest86+ available free from www.memtest.org for a several hours. There should be no errors reported. Please also run Windows chkdsk utility with parameter "/r" on the hard drive the archive is stored at.
    If there are no errors with memory/hard drive reported, please try copying/moving the archive to another location, and validating it again. Please also try using Acronis Bootable Rescue Media to validate the archive.

Notice that in most cases corrupted disk/partition images can be mounted and most of data recovered. Please see chapter 12 "Mounting an image as a virtual drive" of the respective User's Guide for details.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. bob_rock

:'( Yep you were correct I got tons of errors in memtest.
    TEST 2 : 59 errors
    TEST 3 : 308 errors
    TEST 4 : 1160 errors
    TEST 5 : 0 errors
    TEST 6 : 1075 errors
    TEST 7 : 280 errors
    TEST 8 : 57 errors
    TEST 9 : 0 errors

o_O I just bought my components , Patriot DDR2 1GB 800MHz DL PC2-6400 (1 week old) , new motherboard (1 week old) , AMD 3600 X2 AM2 (1 week old) ... :blink: ... I'm gonna go crazy cause i had the same problems on my old computer . Ok thank you for the advice .

6. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

I'm really pleased you have tracked down a memory problem, however if all you are doing is moving a file on the same partition, note that the data itself does not move (the filesystem metadata will change slightly to reflect the new position of the file but the data will not be moved) so I am surprised that you get a corruption from a change of directory.

F.

7. shieber

shieber Registered Member

If he's moving across partitions, the data will be transfered, not just the "pointer". Moves within a partition will be just change the "pointer."

8. bob_rock

Thanks guys for all your answers , it really helped me to trace down the problem i was having for a long time :thumb: . I phoned the sellers and they will send me a new memory modul. :D but they said it will take up to 2-3 weeks o_O , well at least i know what the problem is now , thanks...

9. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

:rolleyes: Yup. I am aware of that ;) . My interpretation of

But if i move this image file anywhere on the disk (change the directory)

was that bob_rock got errors even when he had not moved it outside the partition.

Apologies if I misunderstood.

F.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.