Anti Keylogger Test - how to protect against this?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by ChrisP, May 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Hi!

Current DefenseWall's betas have full anti-keylogging support- some methods automatically blocks, some notified about (they can no be automatically blocked because some legitimate programs use them).

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

But ALL keyloggers, no matter what method they use, they do CHANGE your harddisk somewhere. Am I right about this ? :)

3. Ilya Rabinovich

No, it may send it via Internet without saving to hard drive (pagefile is not counts as file).

4. ErikAlbert

A very sneaking keylogger indeed, which is a problem in my boot-to-restore solution.

Suppose I run regedit and go to :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\ClearPageFileAtShutdown
    and I change the value "0" into "1" (= Clear Page File Enabled)
    Then Exit Registry and Reboot.

Then my boot-to-restore would clear the pagefile at shutdown and the keylogger would be gone.

Is that a possible solution grand master Ilya ?

PS: I noticed that the shutdown lasts alot longer with cleaning the page file.

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  5. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Doesn't the pagefile automatically reset itself when you are using FD-ISR to freeze your snapshot?

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Latest KAV7 also detects all three keylogging attempts by AKLT, as told by one user here.

7. Ilya Rabinovich

No, I mean, keylogger may save its data into memory buffer (it could be pagefile-based if you have it enabled) and then send this buffer via Internet to its owner, clean it up and get data again.

8. ErikAlbert

AFAIK FDISR ignores the pagefile completely, it's not included in the copy/update along with 3 other objects, but I don't remember them.
    Acadia knows all four and published them somewhere in the forum of FDISR.

9. ErikAlbert

I don't understand the last part (red in bold), does it mean I can't do anything about it ?
    Does DefenseWall kill such sneaky keyloggers or will DW kill them in the next version(s) ?

10. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

http://www.raxco.com/support/windows/fdisr/fdisr_faqs.cfm
    1. pagefile file
    2. hibernate file
    3. *.tmp
    4. System Restore data
    Mike

Attached Files:

11. ErikAlbert

I might be wrong, but that doesn't solve anything. Excluding files doesn't clean them, they are just not included in the snapshot, that's all.

12. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

Whato_O I was only answering your question... "but I don't remember them."

"Acadia, Mike, & Erik knows all four and published them somewhere in the forum of FDISR." :D :D

Mike

13. ErikAlbert

Yes you are right. You answered my question and thanks for that.
    I was too occupied with these POSSIBLE nasty keyloggers on my pagefile.
    My apologizes. :oops:

Last edited: May 23, 2007
  14. Ilya Rabinovich

I mean that there is no need for keylogger to dave its data into file- it may store it into memory buffer, send via Internet and, as data is sent, use same buffer for new data captured.

Well, DefenseWall stops traditional keyloggers from proper work, as about advanced keyloggers- DW will notify you about it (v2.0), but won't stop its job as some legitimate applications (original ICQ client, for instance) are using those techniques to get keystrokes.

15. ErikAlbert

OK. But now I do this :
    1. I clean the pagefile.sys at Shutdown, which I didn't before.
    2. And my RAM is normally clean when I reboot.
    3. If there is something changed on my harddisk, that will also be removed during reboot.
    So the keylogger in my RAM and/or my pagefile.sys is completely gone after reboot.

16. Ilya Rabinovich

Keylogger in pagefile.sys?:eek: You should be missed my point. It is just swap file, nothing more. It could be used by system to store some memory data, but it can't store structured information like executable file. In fact, keylogger will gone after reboot with FD-ISR, but between reboots you need extra defense layer (anti-keylogger, anti-screecapturer, sensitive files protection from being hijacked).

17. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Does that also include some rootkit or hider which might have circumvented the system and installed a keylogger that sends info based on a set time/date?

I'm of the mind DefenseWall and even HIPS programs pretty well squelches those attempts. Also what about a web site exploited page that uses iframes or another method to rapidly bombard the protection app untill it either closes with an error thus allowing entry for the intruder or fails completely?

Thanks.

18. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

This does not include sophisticated tech on ultra low level.

19. controler

controler Guest

<snip>

Yes I see there is at least one keylogger all anti maleware doesn't detect at that site. One of the programs is BoClean

edited to remove quote of keylogger spam - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2007
  20. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

1 post spamming keyloggers for sale removed. Really now... :rolleyes:

21. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Not to go OT, but I have heard of keylogging programs available to buyers who want to track where their spouse goes to online or to track children PC accesses. A bit of privacy issues involved of course. :shifty:

22. controler

controler Guest

Detox

I only replied to a poster and you removed his post making it look like I am spamming? Not cool. besides when did you start removing links to maleware again which some programs do not remove or detect? If you would like to take this Pri, be my guest.

con

23. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Well, gotta agree. Posters link to programs they suggest all the time. ALL the time. What made your post any different? It's not like you have 5 total posts fercrissakes, you have over 3,000!!!!!!!

24. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

You guys have misunderstood. The main post that Detox actioned was "removed entirely" because it was indeed made by a "brand new member" with a total of "1 post" (not even 5), who joined just to post that spam to this thread. (It was spam because it was to a commercial website that sells all kinds of keyloggers. Therefore "spam" not "malware", although live malware links also get removed here.)

Detox removed the spam post as is appropriate here at Wilders. Unfortunately, controler quoted the spam post, so obviously, the quote had to be edited out of his post otherwise the spammer would still have his post showing.

It's unfortunate that you quoted the spam post controler, but, just because a member quotes a spam posting does not mean that we're going to leave the spam in a thread. If we did that, the spammers would win and get their spam to stay on the forum.

25. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I understand now. I was mistaken as well. Thanks LowWatermark!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.