Bootable Rescue Freeze

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by frangiyyeh, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frangiyyeh

frangiyyeh Registered Member

Hi;
    I just a new HP Proliant blade server when I use the rescue bootable CD. It will load the Acronis True Image utitlity but it freeze at the screen that let you to select either "Full", "Safe" or "Boot into Windows" options. No keyboard or mouse is available I can not type anything. The mouse just move just a bit and it freezes.
    Any body has an idea why.
    Also, is the Acronis support is slow or does not exists. I E-Mailed them about my problem over a day ago and nobody responded. It just make me wonder if I should still use this product with such a support.
    Thanks for any help.
    Hanna Frangiyyeh

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello frangiyyeh,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please let us know your Acronis request number (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? We will find out the reason for the delay. If you have not received an autoreply then please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

A day ago? Heck some users wait weeks for a reply. You will get better response from the other users here.
    Did you try the "quiet = acpi noapic" workaround?

4. frangiyyeh

frangiyyeh Registered Member

I got somebody from support to E-Mail me a build that was able to boot, but the build seems not to support for USB. Because I have a USB drive that I use to store my images. My case is 979762.
    Thanks
    Hanna

5. Acronis Support

Hello frangiyyeh,

Please notice that, as i can see, your issue is being worked on, and you will be contacted as soon as possible.

In the meantime, please collect some additional information and send it to our Support Team:

Please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Please keep the drive in question connected and powered on during the creation process. Notice that in order to get to the command prompt you will need to use ctrl+alt+F2 combination of keys after the product is fully loaded instead of modifying Linux Kernel Settings prompt.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

6. creslak

creslak Registered Member

exactly the same problem here.. New HP Proliant server, and after little mouse move it freezes in the boot-from-cd mode

7. Acronis Support

Hello creslak,

Please make sure you use the latest build of Acronis True Image. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If you're not able to create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) then please do the following:

- Boot your computer from Acronis Bootable Rescue Media and press F11 key when the selection screen advising you to select either "Full", "Safe" or "Boot into Windows" option appears.
    - After you get the "Linux kernel command line" prompt, remove the word "quiet", click on the OK button and choose "Full Version".

When the screen stops scrolling please write down the output information you receive (last 5-10 lines), or use a digital camera to make shots of the output screen. You can use Shift+PgUp and Shift+PgDn keys to scroll the screen manually.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

8. mneblett

mneblett Registered Member

I have *precisely* the same problem with my home-built AMD X2 3800 system, and after a couple weeks of trading messages, Acronis support wrote that they were forwarding the matter to the developers -- that was 4/18, and I haven't heard anything back in the month since ([Acronis #948642], in case Support is reading this). PLEASE post here if you find something that works!

9. Acronis Support

Hello mneblett,

We are sorry for the delay. The solution has been found and you will be contacted as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

10. FIT4IT

FIT4IT Registered Member

Same problem here with a ProLiant ML110G4. I tried to hit F11 but nothing happened.

11. snmavronis

snmavronis Registered Member

If a solution has been found as the Acronis rep has stated above, could they please post it here so the rest of us with the same problem can benefit from it? Also, pressing F11 at the Acronis menu does nothing when trying it that way either.

We just got a replacement (spare) server and I tried the Acronis Bootable Rescue Media CD as a test on it and get the same symptom - the main menu appears okay but the mouse and keyboard are frozen. Both are regular PS/2 connections on the back of the server.

The new spare server I am testing on is a HP ProLiant ML150G3 Hot Plug SATA Server. The production server (cannot take offline - 24/7 critical operation) is a HP ProLiant ML150G2 Non-Hot Plug SCSI Server.

We have the licensed Acronis True Image Enterprise Server with Universal Restore (order number 907059) to cover the different hardware aspect.

Of all things to go wrong I wasn't expecting it to be a mouse and keyboard problem, so I am "dead in the water" for testing a restore from one system to the other. It's a good thing I am in testing mode giving this a dry run. If this were a real emergency to have this problem, my job would be on the line and that would be personally worse than any server crashing!

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  12. jaycee

jaycee Registered Member

Hi,

until you get an answer from Acronis, did you try these :

1/ update Acronis to the latest version on your profile on acronis.com

2/ create a BartPE rescue CD with Mustang's Plugins (Thank you Mustang!)

3/ Pray :)

Good work,

Jaycee

13. snmavronis

Yes but I'll attempt the BartPE boot disk again. I gave up last time thinking it seemed too tricky to do and figured (wrongly) that I'd rely on the Acronis rescue media instead. Oh and there is always praying!

Update - I created the bootable Windows (XP Pro) installation CD and I'm going through the BartPE Builder part of the instructions now. Hopefully I won't have problems adding drivers for both Windows 2003 Server's SCSI and SATA drives, and my USB external Maxtor backup hard drive where the Acronis disk images are stored.

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  14. jaycee

jaycee Registered Member

Should be ok... just add your drivers in the following folder...

Code:
    \Drivers\SCSIAdapter
    Create a folder for each driver, and just put your inf files in there.
    Should work like a charm...

what i do sometimes is create BartPE CD from Windows 2003 and not WinXP, gives a LOT MORE SCSI drivers...

Good work,

Jaycee

15. snmavronis

Thanks JC, not sure how the BartPE instructions would alter doing it on Windows 2003 Server, etc. I actually have 2 Acronis installations to get the bare metal restore functionality working - one on Windows 2003Server and the other on Windows XP Professional.

Can I use the bootable Windows XP Pro installation CD that I already made; in conjunction with making 2 BartPE CD's using drivers from the actual Server (different OS) and Workstation that have Acronis running on them?

I apparently goofed and was trying it from my user PC and downloaded a driver pack and installed it, but found that when adding the BartPE plugin for True Image Enterprise Server 9.1 it needed information from the actual Acronis installation which is not on this computer so it gave an error about it missing!

I'm a little frustrated. I just want a boot CD that lets me do Acronis True Image with Universal Restore for bare-metal disaster recovery. I mean having paid for this product and support this should be reliable and working out of the box without all this 3rd party rigamaro to do the job for it!

16. Acronis Support

Hello FIT4IT and snmavronis,

Please be aware that the solution is dependant on particular situation and may require additional investigation. Therefore, please create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

17. snmavronis

I read the help link you provided and have a problem with it since the Acronis Rescue CD locks up at the graphical interface, before allowing me to press F11. The mouse and keyboard do not respond. I cannot do what is suggested to troubleshoot the problem. I even tried F11 before the graphical interface where it says "Starting Acronis Loader" but nothing happens.

The other "fix" I see there is regarding the MBR of the hard drive. If so, in this case are you saying that would magically make the graphical interface booted from a Rescue CD lock up before pressing any option at all? I could see it affecting reading and writing to the drive (after you run one of the selected menu options) if the MBR was damaged or non-compliant with Acronis somehow.

I am booting the CD on a brand new out of the box virgin HP Proliant ML150G3 Server with only Windows 2003 Server installed. I also ran the included HP Hardware Diagnostics continuously over a period of a week with no logged errors on this new system. This was done before trying the Rescue CD to test the recovery process using Universal Restore (slightly different hardware from G2 to G3 Server) on a non-production machine before disaster strikes for real and I have to depend on Acronis to save the day.

Next the only thing I can think of to do is install the lastest Acronis TI Enterprise Server on this new G3 Server in order to make a Rescue CD from it and see what happens. I need to do an actual test disk image restore and I can't do that on our critical 24/7 production G2 Server which is two recent TI versions [3718] behind. [EDIT] I just made a new Rescue CD using the newest build from the new G3 Server as described above and I still get the same keyboard and mouse lockup - no change.

The Rescue CD was made from the older G2 Server. I have to schedule with the plant superintendant here when I can take it offline to upgrade since that would affect their drinking water filtering and treatment monitoring/logging process that goes out to the public.

Also, if it did work our new computers/servers no longer come with a diskette drive and being unfamiliar with Linux I don't know if that OS provides native USB drive support from its command prompt interface:

"b) If your computer boots into graphical interface.

Please boot your computer from the Acronis True Image rescue disc and press F11 key when the selection screen advising you to select either "Full", "Safe" or "Boot into Windows" option appears. After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word, click on the "OK" button, choose "Full Version" and wait for # prompt to appear. Please insert a diskette into a floppy disk drive and issue the following commands:

cd tmp
    mkdir mntdir
    mount /devfs/floppy/0 mntdir
    sysinfo > mntdir/sysinfo.txt
    umount mntdir

Send us the sysinfo.txt file from the diskette."

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  18. Acronis Support

Hello snmavronis,

Please note that the instructions about fixing MBR in the Acronis Help Post are not related with Acronis True Image Bootable CD. They describe the way of fixing MBR of the drive.

Please also be aware that if you do not have a floppy drive you could use the instructions provided in this previous post explaining how to save the sysinfo.txt file to USB flash drive.

In addition, if one not able to create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) the following procedure can be done to collect the information for troubleshooting:

- Boot your computer from the Acronis True Image Bootable CD (created with the latest build of the appropriate version of the software) and press F11 key when the selection screen advising you to select either "Full", "Safe" or "Boot into Windows" option appears.

- After you get the "Linux kernel command line" prompt, remove the word "quiet", click on the OK button then and choose "Full Version".

- When the screen stop scrolling use a digital camera to make shots of the output screens and send the captured information to Acronis Support Team. You can use Shift+PgUp and Shift+PgDn keys to scroll the screen manually.

As for the issue you have experience, namely, PS/2 mouse and keyboard do not work on the selection screen of Acronis True Image Bootable CD, please submit a request for technical support and attach the link to this thread. Please also attach information about your purchase of Acronis software (serial number, order number, e-mail, where did you purchase our product, etc.). We will provide you with Acronis True Image Bootable CD, which based on another loader.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.