SB restricted sites slows up Vista Windows Mail

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by nice_guy, May 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nice_guy

nice_guy Registered Member

When I have all the restricted sites enabled in SB Windows Mail is very slow in some areas, like previewing messages.

Without any restrictions everything is fine.

There was an update from MS that might have started all of this. It's KB931768. Not really sure about this however.

I found out about the restrictions on one of the MS newsgroups. Seems that Spybot also creates the same restricted entry.

Anyone have any idea on what entry is causing WM to behave like it is?

2. KikiBibi

KikiBibi Registered Member

I find that if you select "Read all messages in plain text", Windows Mail will be faster.
    This option is under "Tools>Option>Read Tab".

3. nice_guy

As long as I enable SB's restricted list your suggestion doesn't help. There is something in the list that is causing this slowdown.

Interestingly enough if you display the Calendar in WM then exit out of it WM works fine even with the SB restricted list enabled.

I'm not the only one reporting this problem. There are lots of reports on this. It was only recently that the restricted list was identified as the culprit.

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

Thank you for reporting this. :)

It seems as though a change in IE7 (possibly enhanced by a recent patch) is causing many different problems for users, including slow-downs in Outlook 2002/2003 as well (when writing messages in HTML mode).

There have been numerous suggestions going around for registry tweaks that can (sometimes) resolve the problems, but it's really up to Microsoft to figure out a permanent fix. That said, we're still looking for any temporary solutions that people discover.

Best regards,

-Javacool

5. javacool

Hi,

If you wouldn't mind trying the following, this may resolve the issue for you:

Please copy and paste the following quoted text into a new Notepad window, and then save it to a file with the extension ".REG" (for example "RSfix.REG", without the quotes).

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_MIME_SNIFFING]
    "winmail.exe"=dword:00000001
    Double click on the new .REG file you created, and click OK at the prompt to automatically add its contents to your registry. (On Windows Vista you may get an additional UAC prompt.)

[If Windows Mail is open, you should close it before continuing.]

Now open Windows Mail, and please let me know if the slowdown issues are resolved. :)

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

6. nice_guy

The Reg entry works!!!! Even with the SB restrictions enabled WM works fine.

Is placing winmail.exe in this list going to affect me in some other way?

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  7. javacool

Hi,

Glad to hear it! :)

And based on preliminary testing, there shouldn't be any weird effects from doing so (besides fixing the slowdown problem ;)).

Best regards,

-Javacool

8. marc57

marc57 Registered Member

Thank you javacool, This solved my problem also.

9. chippo

chippo Registered Member

Hi, using Vista and Notepad, I copied the code below into Notepad and then saved it as a reg file.
    Then when I double clicked on it to add the reigstry, it refuses to save to the registry saying it needs to be in binary format. Obviously not sure what I am doing, so have done somenthign wrong. Any ideas.

Also, if this doing this somehow messes something up, is it easy to remove?

Thanks!

10. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Hi Javacool

Do you have a fix for slowdowns with Outlook 2003 running under XP & Spyware Blaster?

11. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Hmm

I just disabled all protection in SpywareBlaster so that I could inform my customers of the Outlook tweak. After some screen prints, I then enabled all protection again now my mouse scroll wheel is behaving strangely with very slow & slightly erratic scrolling.

Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse 2.0

12. freddyb2

freddyb2 Registered Member

Hi, I copied the following into notepad
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_MIME_SNIFFING]

I then saved it to the desktop as RSfix.reg
    I then double clicked it and I was taken to the saved file in notepad
    I checked the registry and it is not there so what did I do wrong? Fred

13. tamarack

tamarack Registered Member

Thanks, Javacool.

As others have described, the .reg file wouldn't work so I entered the key
    into the registry--definitely fixes the slow Windows Mail problem and I haven't seen any adverse effects.

14. gate1975mlm

gate1975mlm Registered Member

WoW I had this slowdown issue with Windows Mail for a while now and never knew what was causing the problem. Thanks for the info.

15. nolannolan

nolannolan Registered Member

Hi

i tried this registry tweak but how do i reverse it again - if i dont want it at a later stage ?

do i simply delete the entry ?

in the path

what did the tweak do?

regards Nolan

16. javacool

Hi,

Yes, simply deleting the "winmail.exe" registry entry from the registry path:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_MIME_SNIFFING
    is all that is needed to reverse the tweak.

The interesting thing about the tweak is that this problem is being caused by a bug/conflict between one of the recent Internet Explorer patches and Windows Mail / Outlook. That registry tweak simply enables MIME Sniffing (more details about this are available on Microsoft's website), but the interesting thing is that it shouldn't change the behavior of Windows Mail at all. For sites in the Restricted Sites zone (which is the zone that Outlook and Windows Mail use), that feature should have no effect. And, as far as I can see (through quite a bit of testing), it doesn't do anything but fix the issue.

Best regards,

-Javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.