how to restrict with firewall rest of conections except from anonymous proxy?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by WRC, Mar 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WRC

WRC Registered Member

Hi , my question , i always hear that to get a little bit of anonimity on Java/javascript/flash if you want to have enable those plugins , you need to set up a firewall , restrict all conections except from the proxy , to avoid directly conections from java or flash get my real ip. my question , what kind of firewall do it? can anobody say me a good firewall to do it? Because i have a firewall , and can block java (need permission to activate java) that's fine , but about flash is is not enabled in the list and conect directly.

My question , is there a free good firewall where i can block all conections directly except from the proxy?? in the list configuration , there are some programs , MIRC , Outlook express , for Automatic allocation , but many programs like flash , real player , are not in the list for Automatic allocation , so , i must put in the list manually many programs , and that´s a hard work and maybe i forget some program who conect directly , so is not good idea.

2. I no more

I no more Registered Member

Hi, WRC. Welcome to Wilders.

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say "proxy", so let's use Tor as an example.

Let's use Mozilla Firefox as an example of the application you want to control. You don't need to control Java, Javascript, etc. separately with your firewall. All you need to control with your firewall is Firefox. If your browser has Java enabled and it attempts to bypass Tor and connect directly, it's going to look to your firewall like Firefox is making the connection (not Java). In other words, a Java connection will look to your firewall like a Firefox connection.

So, for any application you want to use, you only need to control that application with your firewall.

If we continue using Tor and Firefox as examples, I've found ZoneAlarm free firewall to be a great way to control this. Keep in mind that I haven't used ZoneAlarm since version 7, so I don't know if the new versions are any different. But all you need to do with ZoneAlarm, is allow Firefox access to the Localhost/127.0.0.1 and deny it access to the internet. From my recollection. when you open an application (e.g. FireFox), ZoneAlarm first asks if you will allow it to access the localhost (just click yes). Then it pops up asking if you will allow access to the internet (just click no).

That should be sufficient. You can either set this up as rules that are always applied, or you can have ZoneAlarm ask you each time you start Firefox.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

3. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

4. I no more

I no more Registered Member

I use Comodo now, but I started out using ZoneAlarm. It's more difficult to use but also offers more granular control than ZoneAlarm.

:thumb: That's what it's all about. Shiny knobs and buttons that you have no idea how to use make you feel important and special. That's how I choose a program as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.