MBR Error 3 On Boot?

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Major_Disaster, Jun 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Major_Disaster

Major_Disaster Registered Member

Have Acronis Disk Director 10 and True Image 9 to backup my documents to a separate partition on my hard disk, all was going well and when i booted i had the option to boot directly into Acronis.

Then i had a power cut while the PC was on and now when i boot, instead of the Acronis options i get "MBR Error 3", it still boots but i want my options back and to get rid of this error.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I've learnt not to worry about this.

OSS seems to randomly change its mind, sometimes I get an ' Invalid Boot.ini' message and then it boots quite happily into XP with the XP splash screen. Other times I get the 'MBR3' one and it boots using the original method I had before installing OSS which is verbose with SOS - this is a light blue screen listing all the modules being loaded by XP and is a much quicker boot than the standard one.

Acronis normally say, just re-install or re-activate OSS and it will disappear - it may do on other systems, but makes no difference on mine. Occasionally I find OSS loses itself all together and comes up with a 'No boot file' message - this is solved by booting from the recovery CD and re-activating OSS.

On that problem Acronis have said it is probably caused by defragging - however, I find it to be a random occurence since I always defrag on a Saturday - and that error pops up sometimes 2 or 3 days later.

Sorry this didn't actually help you solve your problem, but I thought if you suddenly start getting other error messages - this may help you not be too worried.

Colin

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Major_Disaster,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Colin is right. You should boot from Acronis Disk Director Bootable Rescue CD and re-activate Acronis OS Selector. This should resolve the issue with MBR Error 3 message.

You can also use the following solution in order to get rid of this message:

Windows 95/98/Me – boot from Startup Disk (floppy) and run "fdisk /mbr" command;
    Windows 2000/XP/2003 – boot from Installation Disc (CD) into Recovery Console and run "fixmbr" command.

After this command issued please activate Acronis OS Selector.

If this solution does not help then please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post and submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected report file to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

4. Major_Disaster

Major_Disaster Registered Member

Thanks for the help you two

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.