Portable Google Chrome

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TerryWood, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi

Can anyone tell me the download location of the very latest version of Portable Google Chrome (NOT SR Iron)

Thank you very much

Terry

2. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

3. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi RolaRocka

Thanks for your help. This however is not the latest version. The latest is 2.0.157.2

Thanks

Terry

4. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Right. He hasnt made a new version.
    But there is the updater. You can update to the latest version of Chromium wich is newer than 2.0.157.2 anyway.
    -----------
    Changelog for 2.0.157.2

This is a release to fix our two top crasher from 2.0.157.0 to help stabilize this release.

Bug Fixes:
    [r7891] Fixes a crash related to Safe Browsing and our handling of SQLite(Issue: 6312)
    [r8034] Fixes a cursor related issue that was causing maps.google.com to crash (Issue: 6259)
    -----------
    Only two bugfixes...

5. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

6. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

You can make Google Chrome yourself.

Just download the latest version of Google Chrome. Then, extract it's contents with 7zip, or any other extractor supporting 7z format. Rename it, if you wish to Chrome. Open the folder Chrome, then in the folder named with it's version, cut everything to the Chrome main folder.

There you have it.

7. lon_don

lon_don Registered Member

8. m00nbl00d

Yes, it is.

Then, extract the exe file, to whatever name folder you wish to give it. Then, you will see that within that folder, there's a sub-folder which contains the version number. You have to copy what's inside that folder, to the main folder where you've extracted the exe file to.

I didn't test it to see if it would work fine from a pen (I see no reasons not to, though.).

One of the reasons I run Chrome this way is to prevent it, in the first place, from creating the client ID and to automatically update without asking me so. I know its part of the EULA, still I don't like that. "Installing" Chrome the way I do, rather than really installing does the trick for me.

Cheers

Edit: By the way, this link (http://dl.google.com/tag/s/appguid=.../update2/installers/ChromeStandaloneSetup.exe) will always give you the latest version. Just place it somewhere, and when you want to check whether or not a new version is available just past it in your browser and it will automatically show the version number.

9. HAN

HAN Registered Member

7-Zip doesn't give me anything useable from the Chrome EXE file that is downloaded. All I get are some odd looking files or folders like .data, .rdata, .rsrc, etc. What am I missing?

10. m00nbl00d

Did you download the full Chrome installer or the Google Chrome downloader, which downloads Chrome later on?

By extracting the contents of the full installer, you'd be getting the following folders and files:

This is where I placed my download of Chrome:
    C:\Transfers\Chrome_installer.exe

By extracting it with 7zip, to the folder with the same name (or any other name people wish), I got:

C:\Transfers\Chrome_installer\chrome\Chrome-bin\

Inside that folder there's the following:

chrome.exe
    wow_helper.exe
    A folder named 2.0.172.28 (which is the version I have)
    A folder named Dictionaries

I, then, created a new folder named Google Chrome under C:\Program Files, C:\Program Files\Google Chrome\

Inside this folder, I placed the two exe files, the folder Dictionaries, and the I copied the all contents of the folder 2.0.172.28 to C:\Program Files\Google Chrome\

That's it.

Make sure you do have the full installer, and not the downloader.

Regards

11. HAN

HAN Registered Member

The only place I found the full, offline Chrome installer was at Softpedia. It has the folders as you note. But none of the links mentioned in this thread (directly from Google) work for me... :(

12. lon_don

lon_don Registered Member

That's strange because I just tried again and both my link and M00n's link let you to the ChromeSetup_172_28.exe download prompt

13. m00nbl00d

I just tested them, and yes, they work just fine.

@ HAN

How do they fail? Can you even enter those links, but the downloads won't proceed, or you get an error in your browser?

14. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Sorry but I wasn't clear enough. :) I'm able to download the file ok but it will not extract (except for the useless stuff I noted earlier.) But the Softpedia link does.

BTW, using this method does prevent the auto update craziness and ID creation. But it's not "portable" in the sense that it leaves nothing except in the main app folder. The Chrome user data (cache, history, bookmarks, etc.) is still created and resides on the PC under the user's document and settings folder. That said, this is highly preferable over the standard installation... at least for me.

15. m00nbl00d

That's odd. I have no problems extracting with the direct links from Google.

Yes, that's one of the reasons why I prefer this "install" method over the full install. And, yes, this is not a fully portable solution, but, I'm sure that tweaking it a bit, would be possible?

Anyway, this solution is better than installing Chrome, and waiting for someone else to make some portable version and always keep it updated. This way you know what you're using and that is the latest version.

16. m00nbl00d

For those interested in having Chrome/Chromium fully portable, do the following.

(I keep mine in default path C:\Program Files\Chromium)

Steps:

- Open Windows Explorer, go to Tools > Folder options > See > Show hidden files and folders

- Windows Vista users, go to C:\Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\Chromium OR Google\Chrome

- Copy the UserData folder to C:\Program Files\Chromium, and rename it to Profile.

C:\ is the my drive letter. Yours may be different.

- Windows XP users go to C:\Documents and Settings\[Your User Name]\Application Data\Local\Chromium OR Google\Chrome

- Follow the above steps.

Then, to make Chrome/Chromium not create a new UserData folder in AppData, you must start it with a "special" command. The easier way is to create a shortcut, either in Desktop, for easier access, or your pen, if you place Chrome/Chromium in it.

To create a shortcut, right click in an empty space, New > Shortcut, then go to the directory where Chrome/Chromium was extracted to, and pick chrome.exe. Then pick a name for it. I named mine Chromium, because... well, that's what I am using.
    Then, right click that shortcut and go to Properties > add the following --user-data-dir="PROFILE" after "C:\Program Files\Chromium\chrome.exe", and press OK. From now on, you have fully portable Chrome/Chromium.

Cheers

17. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Doesn't work. Try it yourself: copy your "portable" Chromium install and try to run it on a machine that doesn't have Chromium installed.

18. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Just a thought, but is there anything wrong with the following solution? Anything lacking?

* Do a Google search using the search words, "download portable chromium latest installer".

* Choose the first link.

* Choose one of the fully portable versions to download and copy to a portable drive.

I chose the latest portable Chromium installer ("Portable Chromium Latest Installer", 0.4MB) and ran it. This thing basically finds the very latest build of Chromium and will then download and install it for you. I tested it on a machine that has never had Chromium installed and it ran without issue.

19. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Chromium is NOT Chrome. It's the name of the bleeding-edge nightly releases that are untested for bugs, and in my experience there can be quite a few.

20. m00nbl00d

Yes, it works. That's how I have it in two machines. Including Google Chrome, which I keep "installed" as well, just in case a next build of Chromium comes with some problems, like the one I had with small text display.

The only way for it not to work, and it would apply for anything, would be for some system to have restriction policies. Other than that, it works.

21. m00nbl00d

There's no problems with that. I just don't like to depend on others to have portable solutions. If there's a way to make them portable, I do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.