preparing to switch to dial-up

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ejames82, Apr 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejames82

ejames82 Registered Member

it sounds to me like you got alot of bang for the buck.
    sounds like a good plan.
    thanks again.

2. Rock Smasher

Rock Smasher Registered Member

Check out "Newegg.com" I just ordered a couple of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16825134002&Local=y

They supposedly don't come with any documentation regarding LINUX
    but are supposed to work like a charm with it from the user comments.

Mine should be here early next week.

I'll give you all a follow up after I install and play.:doubt:

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Yes please let us know.

4. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

I know This Modem works real good in Linux and Windows :cool:

It works better than my ($90) USR 5610b PCI hardware modem ;)

5. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Here in the Philippines dial-up sucks!!! :mad:

It's very slow, and sometimes when u tries dialing ...a pop-ups will just say "Error 676: The phone line is busy", and even if u are already connected there's a time that it'll be disconnected unexpectedly. :oops: :p ...'But of course, there are times that the dial-up connection here runs fine and are smooth. With the speed of 33.6kbps...it just good on surfing forums and sites that wasnt heavy graphics..or else ur blood pressure rises. :'( :doubt: ...if I have some big files to download I just use the internet cafes. :cool:

Dial-up connections needs patience, temperament, and a broadminded thinking, that at least u know in advanced that u are using a slow connection that weren't designed for the internet at all....u are using a telephone line connection that uses thin wires designed only for voice transmissions. ;)

After more than a yr of using dial-up, it teach me one great lesson...I am now a person with tons load of patience and learned that wisdom is the power to play with opposites..in thiz case...that iz playing between slow dial-up and the fast broadband connections. :cool: ;)

DYDLO helps dial-up users to know if are connected online or not, it also tells how many hrs u are on:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhancements/Other-Desktop-Enhancements/DYDLO.shtml

6. herbalist

herbalist Guest

On my 98 box, I used EasyMTU to optimize my modem settings. It doesn't actually increase your connection speed but helps you make the best use of the speed you have. I don't know if this utility works with or if it's even necessary with XP.

On my 98 box, it made a small but significant improvement, roughly a 5-10% improvement. With dialup, that's pretty much how it works. There aren't many big improvements to be had, unless something is badly configured. Usually you gain a little bit here and there.
    By optimizing your modem settings, you gain a little by eliminating fragmented packets.
    Firewall rules that keep unnecessary apps and system components from using up your bandwidth gains a bit more.
    A hosts file, adblockers, animation and flash content blocking, etc prevents using your bandwidth on items you weren't interested in seeing. Proxomitron can be a big help with filtering out useless (and malicious) content as can several Mozilla and Firefox extensions.

By the time you get done with all these smaller improvements, it can add up to a pretty good speed increase. With dialup, it's making the best use of what you have.

At the moment, I'm using dialup service. My vendor supplied DSL modem died the previous night so I'm using their dialup service until the new modem gets here. Their dialup service is quite slow compared to the $5/month service I was getting from the library. Best connection I'm getting from them is 31.2, compared to 44-48 from the library. Even so, it's not that bad. Just won't be watching any streaming video for a while.
    Rick

7. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

You are right! I should have made paragraphs. :( Now it is too late to fix it. I forgot about this thread. I usually am here every day ...I just forgot ths thread though and just now remembered it.

What is the time limit on editing? I'm so used to no time limit anymore at my home site (dslr) that I went to edit it when I read your post just now...but I can't. I think I wrote that when I was really sleepy as I do usually really make an effort to make paragraphs as I don't like to try and read one long paragraph even if the content is interesting.

8. Rock Smasher

Rock Smasher Registered Member

I just installed my "Trendnet TFM-560X" and it seems to
    be working properly. It connected at 45.2K right away.

The installation was painless with WIN XP PRO.

The speaker sounds awful during the handshake!:p

I wish I knew what the 8 L.E.D.s on the front meant.
    There's no mention of them in the owners manual or
    on their website so I have no idea which should be
    on/off or blinking during normal operationo_O

Now I can hopefully start playing with LINUX.

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I just bought a
    U.S. ROBOTICS COURIER EXTERNAL 56K V.EVERYTHING MODEM per a members recommendation.

Included:
    power cord
    data cable RS232
    telephone cord
    used but in good condition

Only $13.13 including ship from eBay.
    Waiting on it now.

Think I did well.

10. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

WoW, you did very well !

In the world of dial-up it doesn't get any better than that modem....:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.