Nod32/BoClean Incompatibilities

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by mdgr, Oct 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdgr

mdgr Registered Member

Problem: Using BoClean 3.11 with Nod32 v 1 or 2 causes my Win XP's power management to fail (will not go into standby at predetermined interval).

History: I used Nod32 v. 1 and BoClean 3.10 together for almost a year with no problems. In trouble-shooting this problem with BoClean 3.11, I inquired through Nod32. I got little to nothing in the way of an enlightening answer. I also inquired through BoClean and, after getting some very specific answers, was advised to configure Nod32 v 2 to exclude the BoClean directory and one of its files. When I did that, the machine went into standby at the preset interval. When I rebooted, it didn't go into standby any longer at the preset interval. (NOTE: I configured Nod32 v2 to SAVE the directory and file exclusion info, but it didn't, which suggests a possible bug in the file exclusion program.)

Without going into a "he said/she said" scenario, ESET offered no information whatsoever about this problem, and BoClean stated that the problem lay with Nod32, offering me some very specific programming issues that I am not free to disclose here. A couple of weeks ago, my ESET license ran out without this problem's ever getting resolved. I am now using McAfee 8.0 (power management works fine with BoClean).

My Hope: I'd like to find a way to "come back" to Nod32 and continue to use BoClean (sans McAfee), but in order to do that, I need ESET to show some initiative and look into this matter. My earlier discussion with ESET was anything but helpful in this regard.

Your thoughts?

2. dos

dos Registered Member

I recently read a post on alt.comp.anti-virus about a person having the same problem with running NOD32 and BOClean together. According to answers to the post the problem lies with BOClean and the programmer of the software has allegedly even admitted problems with some anti-virus products. Maybe someone else will be able to tell you more, but personally I would go back to BOClean and ask more questions.

3. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Do you have a backup AV on your system to use as a scanner? I had KAV Lite setup to not load but still caused problems. Couldn't use BOClean 4.11.

4. mdgr

mdgr Registered Member

I can't confirm what BoClean allegedly told others. I can confirm that we spent a LONG time on this issue and that they even purchased a copy of Nod32 to test analyze the code. They were very specific regarding perceived issues, and they indicated NO other AV program as having this problem. Suffice it to say that this did not seem like a matter of BoClean displacing blame onto Nod32 for problems inherent in BoClean. I think it would be bad form to breach confidentiality to discuss the details. IMO, ESET needs to discuss specifics with BoClean not in order to see who's right and who's wrong, but to work this problem out. No one should be forced to use Norton or McAfee because of this sort of incompatibility.

As for the KAV-lite issue: I used no other AV monitor on my system other than Nod32. For a backup AV scanner, I used a DOS version of KAV, but that wouldn't be an issue. Also, BoClean didn't think there was an extraneous cause for the problem. They thought it was because of problemmatic programming in Nod32. Of interest is that the file exclusion program in AMON appears to be buggy with or without BoClean. When set to save an excluded file-set, it doesn't. If I can get IT to work right, I can just exclude BoClean and if it does that, my power management works just fine.

5. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

I use Nod32 and BoClean too, although I don't employ power management. My suggestion is to give exclusion another try. The exclude feature in NOD32 (through Amon) does not work as intended, but you can get it to work.

First, open up the NOD32 AMON component. This will tell you what files AMON is scanning, and so it will tell you which BoClean files you have to exclude.

Then set out to exclude each BOCLEAN file that needs excluding in one or two ways: once using long filenames and once using DOS file names. You may have to do BOTH. See here for more info on using DOS filenames with AMON: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=13536;start=msg86280#msg86280

Also, be aware that you need to exclude BoClean files that reside both inside and outside of the C:\Program Files\NSClean folder. Use the windows file search out and exclude those BoClean files too.

As you progress, you can confirm whether the exclusions are working by looking again at the NOD32 AMON component. When you've got the exclusions working, you shouldn't see any BoClean files popping.

It all sounds more time-intensive than it is. You can do it without too much trouble

Regards
    Optigrab

p.s. Did you also use the exclude feature in BoClean 4.11? It's worth trying too.

6. mdgr

mdgr Registered Member

Kevin previously prompted me to use long file names. I also used Windows names. Neither worked, either together or in combination. But thanks anyway.

7. sig

sig Registered Member

Reports of NOD, more specifically, Amon's issues with other apps including BOClean are not new, as noted. In the past (years ago), Kevin's provided work arounds and changed BOClean in an attempt to resolve these issues.

I still recall ESET's previous response from years ago to this issue. It's one of the reasons I delayed trying NOD for as long as I did. It would be nice if ESET would be more collaborative in regards to resolving these kinds of issues and more overtly responsive to its users' questions, but frankly I wouldn't count on either happening.

That said, I use BOClean, NOD and power management on XP and have had no problems. YMMV

8. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

I did have trouble with it - machine wouldn't go into standby, but excluding Boclean with DOS path names everything worked great again.

Ruben

Win2K 160 MB PII 233

9. jan

jan Former Eset Moderator

Hi,

sorry for the delay - there have been even more important issues than this, but we'll try to solve it as fast as possible.

Thanks for the understanding,

jan

10. mdgr

mdgr Registered Member

Jan,

I am wondering whether you could clarify whether v 2 is a beta/release version or whether it has, in fact, gone through the kind of rigorous testing that would be consistent with post beta/release status.

It seems to me that when ESET programmers install a file exclusion capability that may be unstable and that requires long(DOS) file names, and when they fail to flag that fact in their help file, then ESET can be faulted for (1) having programmers stuck on using archaic syntax; and (2) having a management team that releases ostensibly finalized versions of their product that are not, in fact, quite ready for release. Nowhere on the Nod32 v2 download page is there a warning that this is still a product that is in the beta stage of development.

It's not fair to vent on you for ESET's cavalier attitude toward such matters, but I've spent hours sorting through this stuff with BoClean and others, and I deeply resent having to do work for ESET without getting paid for my time. It's also bad form for ESET to *not* collaborate with respected security program developers such as BoClean.

On another note, I appreciate the fact that you're here as moderator, and I hope that you may have something that addresses my previous concerns soon. In visiting the Trojan forum, it's quite clear that others also have had similar problems and that my concerns--including some very pointed criticism of ESET for it's failure to collaborate--aren't at all unique.

11. optigrab

Hi mdgr

Could you specify which Boclean file(s) you can't get Amon to exclude? I can also PM you or post the path names I've used successfully.

Please don't think I'm beating a dead horse, just trying to help simply because I’ve had success with the workaround. If exclusion is the key to resolving your power management issue (you seem to be convinced and I figure you're correct), then I still believe it can be done if you take another gander at my earlier post.

This is not to play-down your frustration. As I said, the exclude feature doesn't work as intended, and most NOD32 users were quite frustrated with ESET when this cropped up. The workaround doesn’t relieve ESET of the duty to address the issue, but it sure helps in the meantime.

Optigrab

12. mdgr

mdgr Registered Member

Optigrab,

I followed Kevin's syntax for exclusion of the Boclean directory and also the single BoClean file in the C:\ directory. I am not at my home computer now so I can't give you the specific file/path names. I did NOT include in the syntax anything about "permanent" or "subdirectories," although I did check the radio buttons indicating those choices. I had optimistically assumed that ESET could at least get this programming-item right <sheesh>, but if you believe it is necessary to include "permanent" and "subdirectories" in the path file name, as your link suggests, please advise. Thanks.

13. optigrab

Hi

IMO, the key is to open up the NOD32 Control Center, click on 'Resident modules and filters', then AMON, and watch the 'file name' being scanned for a few moments. If you see any BOClean files flash by (BOCxxx.xxx), you're not finished. Note however, that you can't see the full path in AMON, so you might have to perform a search of your drive for boc*.* There are Boclean files in a lot of places, and any one might be a candidate for exclusion.

With that out of the way, here are the exclusions I've worked out to keep Amon from constant scanning of Boclean files on my system. You're welcome to try them.

C:\PROGRAM FILES\NSCLEAN\BOCLEAN\BOCLEAN.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\NSCLEAN\BOCLEAN\BOCLEAN.EXE
    C:\WINNT\BOC411.INI
    C:\PROGRA~1\NSCLEAN\BOCLEAN\BOCLEAN.DLL

The first two are tricky! I realize they appear to be redundant, but I have confirmed I need both and suggest you to try BOTH simultaneously.

YMMV applies to ALL of this; my exclusions are based on my W2k setup. I might have even missed a few. Just keeping my fingers crossed I haven't put you on another wild goose chase.

Regards
    Optigrab

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.