SUPERAntiSpyware Problem

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by DVD+R, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I have just this last 2 days discovered that SUPERAntiSpyware will not co-exist actively with Webroot Spy Sweeper. I was experiencing problems on Windows Vista whereas rebooting or shutting down would take sometimes up to 3 minutes, before I even got the screen telling me windows was shutting down, the hard drive was struggling to shut down or reboot,and I couldnt figure this out,and thought something had become corrupt, and decided to format and clean install :( I just now put back all my software one at a time,and everything was going smoothly,and rebooting or shutting down took seconds not minutes, that is untill I installed SUPERAntiSpyware, there is where the problem starts,again 2 or 3 minutes hanging process before the PC would reboot or shutdown. On uninstalling SAS the shutdown speed was back to seconds again. I only purchased SAS on Friday,and if they cant fix up this issue, I'll have to ask for a refund :(

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I am using Superspyware with no slow down problems. Of course I uninstalled SS quite a while ago because it was slow and a hog. I think Superspyware is great, and not a hog, but that's me. :) If you were to uninstall SS, you'll have to do a search for left in files after you uninstall, because SS really gets entwined in your system.

3. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Did you bother to read and/or try the options which we suggested in the support ticket you submitted? We responded to your ticket within 5 minutes of you submitting it this morning.

1. Did you uninstall SpySweeper to see if the problem still exists (as a test)? The problem could likely be that SpySweeper's kernel drivers are blocking our shutdown, and/or scanning while we are scanning on shut down.

2. Did you uncheck the option under the real-time tab of SUPERAntiSpyware to not scan on startup/shutdown and then reboot?

We have millions of users, and thousands and thousands running along side SpySweeper with no problems. You were previously running the Free Edition with no problem - as you had submitted several tickets that we have helped you with when you had general questions.

I believe this is best handled in the support ticket you submitted on our site and not here as this is not a public issue, but a single instance problem that you are having.

4. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

To Answer your questions YES! and hey! I'll ask who I like OK :mad: Its not up to you to tell me who I can and cannot ask about this problem. I paid for your product. If you find it inapropriate that it is made public, then maybe you should make your product Compatible with other Vendors Products. As I stated several times before you repeatedly repiled to my ticket and told me its not a SAS issue, which clearly your SAS wont comply with Spy Sweeper on my system,The simple truth of the matter is that I am experiencing, system blocking problems with your SAS & Spy Sweeper running side by side on my Machine, As I said before, this has never happened before, and does not happen with SAS uninstaled. Evidently then it is Obvious as to who the culprit is. The below quote has taken they eye of another individual,who like me, is appalled at your reluctance to accept that your product may be to blame,Ever heard the needle in a haystack problem? well this is one of them,regardless of if theres Millions of users who dont have this problem, I DO! And quite frankly I couldnt care less about them, Its not they who are having the problem.and Hurray I'm Happy for them,but if these 1000's were to report the same issue as I have, i am quite curious as wether to State, to the Contrary? Your totally shifting the issue at hand, stating if 1000's of others dont have problems, then neither should I. What this States in fact is If 1000 people dont report issues,and 1 solitary individual does, then he/she must clearly be the problem,not your product! I totally do not like your attitude of "Did I bother to read your sugestions, yes I did, and you are perfectly aware I replied to them also. If you wanted a response to where I would bite back, to your belligerant posting, then you got One ! and then theres nothing more to say on the matter, except I find it strange that you dont want this made public :cautious: I think that says it all!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

wow no need to rant.
    spy sweeper has caused me lots of compatibility issues i have used it since version 3.5 it had to disable a shield to be compatible with f-secure (when i used f-secure) it has given me at least 30bsods in the time i have had it.
    also in the 4.5 versions sometimes it got stuck on a file in the scan so had to close it lucky it didn't have self protection back then.
    in contrast superantispyware hasn't given me any major issues.
    also your using windows vista which has only just come out there are bound to be issues needed to be fixed.
    i would put the blame on spysweeper since i know how buggy it has been in the past and still is.
    whats wrong with uninstalling spysweeper 5.3? then test it without it. you can always install it again later.
    Nick is trying to help you the lazy people at web root wouldnt or tell you to get rid of superantispyware forever as long as you have spysweeper.
    you will only know if its a conflict if you install spysweeper but keep superantispyware installed.
    cmon you didnt mind uninstalling superantipyware so why dont you want to uninstall spysweeper?
    at that point i would jump at the chance to get rid of the buggy spysweeper 5x series.

lodore

6. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

You might be right lodore, but i will not put up with allegations I cannot be bothered with taking notice of sugestions. There was no need to phrase it like that,a simple "We have responded to your support ticket,and are looking into the matter further," would have surficed. Not to state 1000's of other people are quite content, which sugests to me that my issue isnt important enough to be dealt with accordingly. Fortunately I havent had such problems as you have with Spy Sweeper. Also I did uninstall Spy Sweeper,and of course problem solved, just like it was with SAS uninstalled, but be logical for a moment here, If after running spy sweeper for over 3 years,and no major issues, doesnt it make sense what the problem is after installing some other software,and then problems occur? Makes common sense to me that suddenly after a faultless period of time,the faults happen after installing the new software, whatever it may be. Even a system restore will Give you a first option of uninstalling to the point of the new software, sugesting that, that may be the problem.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

@dvd+R,
    from what version did you start using spysweeper?
    are you sure there have been no bsod's?
    and no other problems?
    do you use all the spy sweeper shields?
    if so in the old 5.3 build if you had all shields active and closed IE7 it would blue screen i don't know if its fixed due to the fact i don't want to blue screen my pc on purpose:D
    i dont know anyone who has used spy sweeper with out any problems.
    lodore

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2007
  8. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

My take after being here a while is that people want to run to many programs that overlap each other.Pick one good real time and one good on demand app. for what it is you want to protect. If they do not play well together then find something else that will.

9. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

At no time, did I say "I don't want it made public" - you submitted the support ticket on our site, then without reading our response and trying the suggestions immediately posted on Wilders - I like to handle these issues in one place so that it does not waste time, you may not respect my time, and the time of my staff, but I certainly do and realize how valuable the time is so we can help our users and improve our product. There are literally thousands of new spyware infections coming out daily and we are working hard to protect our current and future users.

I stated we have millions of users, and thousands using WebRoot, Norton, etc. all together to let you know this was not a "common issue", but a unique issue to your system.

I can see this is not going to be resolved, you are looking for a "battle" in the forums as indicated by your "there is nothing more to say in this matter", and this is of no benefit to anyone. As a side note, you also didn't disclose the other security software you were running, which included SUPERAdBlocker, Norton, etc. and without full disclosure there is no way to resolve these types of conflict problems.

I will issue your refund as you requested. I wish you the best in your fight against spyware, and if/when you come upon an infection that no one else can cure, I will be more than happy to help out in curing the infection!

10. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

And I, posted the problem on wilders, for the simple fact, many people use SAS and may have experienced similar. That beiung said, This is a Public help forum,and other posters help each other with whatever problem they know/have experienced/ or are Knowledgeable about, be it Hardware or Software, AntiVirus or Firewall, or Anything else for that matter.

(Untill the Consumer submits more than 5 tickets per week, then you get told "We cant keep helping you like this")

You might not be able to post suport tickets Nick, but I certainly can, just to let everyone see the responses I have got Sometimes :isay:

You call your Comment polite friendly and helpful?? :blink: Let me say this, had you replied in your support ticket the way you have here, My response would have certainly been more graphical. I Will not be spoken too like that Nick.

Subject Closed, just refund the Money, and that will be the end of the matter,and dont expect any recomendations for your products from Me!

11. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Please post our support ticket from SUPERAntiSpyware.com - that is the one in question here - you may have gotten rude responses from OTHER companies, but certainly not our company, so don't try and taint the waters by INSUATING you did, and if you did and you can show me that ticket, I will certainly deal with the matter immediately with the staff member that was rude, inpolite, or incorrect to/with you. You submitted 3 tickets with us, all of which we answered politely and promptly.

We have users that submit 20+ tickets asking questions, configuration issues, product questions, product recommendations issues, etc. and we help them ALL equally and never tell a user "we can't keep helping you like this". In fact, we have never told a user anything like that.

I have not treated you in any disrespectful way - you are trying to twist this conversation by stating things like "I will not be spokent too like that" - nothing I have said has been non-factual.

You seemed to have skipped the issue about not disclosing what you are running on your system, which could in fact be what is causing the true issues here - that's like going to the doctor and saying "I have a stomach pain" and the doctor asking "What did you eat?" and you stating "I had too much candy", when in fact you also ate "rat poison" - without the facts it is very hard to diagnose any of these issues.

Again, I look forward helping you, or any other members of this, or any forums, with any spyware and/or security related issues.

12. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

OK Nick Listen Up :) Lets cool this damn thing down, Every ticket I have sent, the response has been its not a SAS problem, the fact of the matter is you openly admitted to me that it was Webroots Kernel Drivers that was blocking the Shutdown of SAS, If you know this, then why dont you address the problem with an update to fix it? Secondly the "We cant keep helping you like this, was made in your other products ticket page, Super Ad Blocker. At no time,and no fault of mine have I sent an untrue ticket, which what was implied, if you look back at my Super Ad Blocker tickets, each time I have mentioned that due to Computer errors, such as BSOD or getting messages on my screen saying a File was missing and corrup, and I needed to reinstall windows, that I needed to reactivate Super Ad Blocker, If this happenes, and the Computer crashes and Windows needs to be reinstalled, there is no way possible to transfer my Licence, as I was requested to do. Each time I explained the problem, and each time a response was sent back to me, with a posting of how many times Super Ad Blocker had been reactivated, and with it sugestions that it was activated on a different computer each time :ninja: That is incorrect, other people share their licences, but I do Not! The Super Ad Blocjker tickets are the ones where I got the "We cant keep helping you like this comment, Not SUPERAntiSpyware tickets. I have spent many Dollars trying to get my Computer to the Specifications that it is now, but I cant forsee problems arrising, I wish I could, then I would know what to install and what not :) If like you say, you want to help, then help by looking into the problem, and disregard how many others do not have this problem, It could turn out that before you know it, 1000's will report the same as I have. What I am willing to do in this matter, is reinstall everything, and start a new install of different software, by disabling one program at a time,and see which conflicts with which (Oh wait, I cant install Super Ad Blocker again untill my Code is reset, so If you could look into this that would be good) You have my email, from my support tickets, and you are welcome to email me.

13. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

George - We would have to possibly disable critical features of our product and just to get around a possible Webroot (or other vendor's) incompatability probem - that's not a good solution for our users. It could be a combination of all the security software you are running on your system and not just the WebRoot driver that is causing the issue.

We investigate ALL ISSUES reported to us - we take nothing "lightly" - if we started receiving thousands of reports of anything (heck, if we receive 1 report we check it out) - we certainly would be handling and resolving the issue immediately.

As for your SUPERAdBlocker tickets, which you raised, I looked them up and here is a list of the tickets you have submitted (I wanted to make sure I had the facts correct):

CSR00006947 CLOSED
    CSR00006946 CLOSED
    CSR00006937 CLOSED
    CSR00006849 CLOSED
    CSR00006787 CLOSED
    CSR00006734 CLOSED
    CSR00006733 CLOSED
    CSR00006688 CLOSED
    CSR00006608 CLOSED
    CSR00006599 CLOSED
    CSR00006586 CLOSED
    CSR00006456 CLOSED
    CSR00006380 CLOSED
    CSR00006354 CLOSED
    CSR00006296 CLOSED
    CSR00006278 CLOSED
    CSR00006051 CLOSED
    CSR00006004 CLOSED
    CSR00005920 CLOSED
    CSR00005918 CLOSED
    CSR00005913 CLOSED

21 tickets - all of which we answered promptly and politely. To get the facts straight here - the response you received regarding "we can't keep doing this" was in regards to resetting your registration code, which we have also done 21 times in a mere 6 months of you owning the product - after 21 times, I would hope you could remember to transfer the product license before re-installing your operating system :) But, if you can't, we have always reset your code for you - all 21 times. Surely that shows we care about our customers and don't tell people we can't help them. I understand you have had computer "crashes" and had to re-install Windows - with the 21 re-installs in 6 months (180 days) that would mean you had to re-install your full operating system every 8.57 days - I am sorry you have had that much "bad luck" with your system.

If there is something we can do to help, just let us know. By the way, you do hold the World Record for most tickets submitted and code resets, and yes, your code is reset again for #22! :)

14. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

There's no doubt that Spy Sweeper is a resource hog, prone to errors, and the support is lacking in many areas. Do a search for all of the Spy Sweeper issues on this forum alone for confirmation. Hit the other security forums for even more SS issues if you dare. Since DVD+R's problem disappeared once Spy Sweeper was uninstalled I am not sure how he can continue to blame SAS. :rolleyes: Judging by his tone, content of his replies, the fact he reinstalls his OS frequently instead of troubleshooting or creating an image, one might conclude that the PEBKAC. :eek: :p

If you're using the paid version of SAS then you're probably using real-time protection. IMHO there is absolutely no reason to run both SS & SAS in real-time! :gack:

In addition, if you submit a support ticket to a company with an exceptional support team please wait until all resources are exhausted before you start ranting and/or asking for help on a forum. When it comes to SAS nobody knows the product better than Nick and his team. :thumb: Even though they may have lost a sale and DVD+R will not recommend their products to others, most of us will do just the opposite.

22 code resets......:rolleyes: :D

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

0 problems with spysweeper:D ye right
    @ dvd+R,maybe thats why you need to reinstall so often.
    maybe the OP should reinstall the OS from fresh once more but this time install non conflicting software image the system with decent imaging software. if any conflicts state all software you use and not half of it.
    lodore

16. interstate ron

interstate ron Registered Member

Agreed!!!

17. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

It apparent from reading many posts on various forums that some systems and combinations of applications conflict in a serious manner. It is not the same for all systems, but it is there.

The developers in general try to overcome those conflicts, but I can see that some cannot be resolved without a great deal of time by the developers. In those cases it is better to decide which program you want to keep, and which to remove. I don't see much reason to get very upset about it, and if money is the problem, then see if one can get a refund.

I have various applications as can be seen from my signature. If one gives trouble, then I am prepared to ditch it when I can identify it as the problem.

This stuff is just software, and if one application does not work well, then go to another.
    Personally, I have found Spysweeper to be one of the most difficult AS to work with, and so I got rid of it a long time ago.
    I much prefer SAS, but if one does not like it then ditch it and go to something else.
    Best,
    Jerry

18. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

I'm surprised the mods haven't jumped on this thread and closed it.
    That being said - I've had SpySweeper since 4.5 and with the current 5.x version, make sure Spysweeper isn't running in Services, or it can cause a problem with SAS and with Kaspersky KIS6, and who knows what else.

Also, with the Spysweeper main menu window open, double-click on the yellow "target" icon in the top left corner while holding down CTRL+ALT to bring up a hidden menu, and stop Spysweeper from auto-starting there. Then go into Administrative Tools - Services (assuming you're running WinXP), under Webroot in Services, set it from automatic to manual , then reboot. You have to make the changes in both places. I have no idea why Webroot doesn't mention this hidden option; I came across it by reading a Wilder's post after searching through the archives here.

I only use SpySweeper as an on-demand scanner, and only change the services back to automatic and start them again to receive updates; then to the "Webroot Two-Step" again and reboot. A PITA, but with more and more security software playing the overlapping game these days, there's bound to be more than one needle in the haystack ;)

19. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

Gave up Spy Sweeper long ago.To many problems with it. Nick,you and your product SAS are a credit to fighting spyware.Thank you and keep up the fine work.

20. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I think JerryM summed it up quite well. Often times, there are software products that simply DO NOT interact well with other software. In this particular instance, whether this is a SpySweeper or SUPERAntiSpyware problem/issue seems to be irrelevant. For DVD+R, there is a conflict here that he simply needs resolved. And since DVD+R seems content with SpySweeper and doesn't have a problem with it interacting with his other software, while Nick doesn't believe that it is a SAS issue, then uninstalling SAS seems to be the correct thing to do. DVD+R has asked for a refund that Nick has agreed to honor. That should be the end of it. There's really no need to turn into fanboys and "bash Webroot" or "praise SAS", etc., as others are routinely prone to do. That's all that I have to say on this matter.....

21. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Off topic posts removed and ask that any discussion concerning other anti-malware programs be done so in an appropriate thread Please. This thread concerns a SUPERAntiSpyware technical problem.

Thanks,
    Bubba

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.