Arconis True Image Home Vers. 10 Problems with Email Backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by testbuckel, Oct 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimmyD

JimmyD Registered Member

I'm a potential customer but after reading things like this, I'm second guessing my purchase of Acronis True Image. I can understand software having bugs but your post which I'm quoting was made over 2 months ago and still no update. The problem I have is that your website still lists the Outlook email backup as a feature. Here's what it says:

"Backup your Outlook e-mails, contacts, calendar, tasks, notes, signatures, news folders, e-mail rules and user settings with just a few mouse clicks!"

So why is Acronis still advertising that feature? If you know it doesn't work, then you need to either fix it quickly or delete it from the software altogether but more importantly, you should quit advertising it as a feature on your website!! (Or at least mention the fact that it doesn't work properly.)

For the record, I don't use Outlook and would never use this feature anyhow but that's not the point. Advertising a feature that you know is broken is more than a little "shady" in my book and it makes it difficult to trust a company that's proven itself to have integrity issues.

For now, I'm going to hold off on my purchase of Acronis True Image which is a bit disappointing because I've heard nothing but great things about it. Maybe I'm being a little harsh but someone at Acronis needs to wake up and get your advertising department to clean up their act.

JD - still a "potential" customer at this point.

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I have to chuckle when I see people getting upset by this particular feature not working.
    Why anyone would want to use TI to separately backup emails or for that matter anything else when everything can be backed up by a partition or whole disk image just amazes me.

Of course Acronis are completely in the wrong by releasing and advertising a feature that does not work but really it is a trivial exercise to backup outlook or the like. To use TI for this function as a seperate exercise is somewhat overkill.

My view is that it is ones hard drive that should be protected and this all versions of TI do admirably. Such backups will of course included everything, emails ... the lot.

Xpilot

3. JimmyD

JimmyD Registered Member

Chuckle away....you've obviously missed the point.

4. emery

emery Registered Member

What is the latest on this? Tech Support has yet to respond to my e-mail on this subject. Live Chat was useless as well.

5. MKairys

MKairys Registered Member

Nothing new since:

6. mikej101

mikej101 Registered Member

No sign of a new build on TI10 to solve the Outlook backup problem ! It's months ago that this problem first reared it's head and still no solution. Most disappointed with Acronis not sorting this out - thank goodness I've got Genie Backup for Outlook.:ouch: :mad: :mad:

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello everyone,

Would like to let you know that a new build 4940 for Acronis True Image 10.0 Home was released.

The build contains certain fixes including the fix for the issue with backing up MS Outlook settings and messages using "My E-mail" option. You can find more detailed history of changes in "Product Update" section of you account.

Please download and install the new build 4940 of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home in order to check how the product works.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

8. Gabor

Gabor Registered Member

Where can I download this update?
    In my acount is the latest avaliable version: Letztes verfügbares Update: Build #4871, 2006-10-24.

Greetings from Switzerland
    G.Farkas

9. Neoxellos

Neoxellos Registered Member

Same here. Got a mail from acronis there is an update available but the given link says no updates available. Nice one. Seems to me there is only an update for the english version. I have dutch version.:(

10. rebop

rebop Registered Member

So, does this address Outlook Express as well? If not, is that fix imminent?

~Bob

11. Chinookman

Chinookman Registered Member

Well I down loaded the new build. After an hour I learned that it will not perform a back up if the "verify" option is checked. Total back up file size is 15 meg. I went into explorer to looked and ALL file sizes are 1024. How's that possible? I know my normal PST file is about 400 megs.

So how does one have confidence that the back up will perform when data recovery is needed. I've lost 1 year of APA formated college papers after a OS hiccup. Used Winback up and thought I was safe. HA..!fool I was..all those files say is 1024 size also. The main folders were there but no DATA arrrggghhh.

SO, I thought this was a good product but after two days and four hours all I've gotten is frustration and still have school work to do.

Dang I need a reliable back up system for my school work and am getting pretty frustrated. I don't care about a whole disk image I'll reload I care about DATA....why is this so dang hardo_O

I'm running XP Pro SP2 w/all security patches.

Any Acronis techs out there that can help alleviate the frustration?

Anyone out there have any suggestions?

I cannot use the verify feature it will fail the MS Outlook 2003 back up routine within 3 seconds.

12. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

If I were you and want to backup only data, I would simply copy it to another hard drive, internal or external. And if you need further security, burn that data to rewriteable dvd media. Use the built-in compression of XP to compress if necessary - far more reliable than True Image for Files and Folders backup.

13. sellsmri

sellsmri Registered Member

I am using the 15 day trial version, that I initiated 3 days ago. In that version, I am experiencing the same problems backing up email as a stand alone backup. Is there a fix or not. I would not purchase this program without this feature.

14. Acronis Support

Hello Gabor and other users of German version of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home,

Please note that the update for the German version of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home will be released shortly after Acronis Quality Assurance Team compete its testing.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

15. Acronis Support

Hello Neoxellos,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that to obtain the information about the version of Acronis True Image on another languages, which is differ from English, German and Russian you should contact the appropriate reseller.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

16. Acronis Support

Hello sellsmri,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that the latest build (4940) of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home was released on 17 of February. Therefore, most probably you have downloaded the previous build (4871). You could check the build number if you right-click on the downloaded file, choose "Properties" and select "Version" tab.

If the build number is 4871 we would recommend that you re-download free trial version of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

17. Acronis Support

Hello Chinookman,

Could you please describe the issue in more details?

- Describe actions taken before the issue appears step-by-step;

- Have you received any error messages? When exactly have you received them? What exact error messages? Create a screen shots of the error messages.

Could you please clarify if you mean that the Acronis True Image archive was splitted into several files of this size?

- Where did you store the image archive (internal or external hard drive, CD/DVD disc or another storage media)?

Please also clarify the behavior of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home if the option "Validate backup archive upon operation completion" is not set.

Please collect the log file from Acronis True Image 10.0 Home that contains the error message. In order to do so please do the following:

- run the program;

- select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;

- select the log with error messages;

- click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon)

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

18. NBAustin

NBAustin Registered Member

I have had a problem with email backup as well. When I first tried it, I set it up as an incremental bacup, ran once just fine, and second time it just flat out failed. I tried changing to a differential backup and that caused even more problems. I'd change the settings and click to go to the screen after selecting the saved path and then the program became "not responding".

This is frustrating me no end. If there is no fix, and this has been a problem for a while, it should be removed from the software. I'm running 4942 and have tried completely removing TI 10 Home (including registry entries) and still the problem exists.

19. emery

emery Registered Member

This software has been too much of a pain. I am so dissatisfied that I have gone with another software provider. What a waste of time and money this Acronis software was for me. I'd try for a refund but I doubt I' be getting one.

20. Acronis Support

Hello NBAustin,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

We need some additional information to investigate this issue thoroughly.

Please clarify if you tried to create the backup manually or using scheduled tasks.

Please also collect the log file from Acronis True Image 10.0 Home that contains the error message. In order to do so please do the following:

- run the program;

- select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;

- select the log with error messages;

- click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon).

Could you please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post?

Please also clarify the e-mail client you use (Microsoft Outlook 2000, 2002, 2003 or Microsoft Outlook Express).

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

21. wasbear

wasbear Registered Member

I new here and just tried using ati 10.0 to restore some emails i backed up and i get a windows error is this a on going issue or am I doing something wrong im using build 4942

22. fred.albert

fred.albert Registered Member

I am using TI 10.0 v4,942 with WinXP Pro/Office 2003. I find that TI says it has backed up email when I use that option and no error messages are displayed. I have been doing a full disk backup and an email backup separately, having been badly burned and losing all my email a few weeks ago, and not being able to restore the files back to Outlook 2003.
    I admit I am not very keen to test whether the backups are actually working in case TI stuffs everything up, but would like to hear from anyone who has successfully been able to restore their email folders using TI.
    Fred

23. Bateau

Bateau Registered Member

Hi- I am now using Vers. 10 build v 4942 also for Outlook Express backup. I have what appears to be a good backup tree created under the previous build version ( I think) -full backup with 10 incremental backups but I am afraid when I attempt to use the recover function it goes through the motions, records a successful operation but I can't find the recovered emails- they certainly don't appear when I reopen Outlook Express. I have pressed the radio button for restore to same location and also the other button to try restoring to another location- all that seems to be restored is the address book. Also I can not extract the .dbx files directly from the Acronis archive folders. I have sent a message to the Acronis support people. It is surprising- the rest of the product is great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.