On Line Storage

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by stumcl, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stumcl

stumcl Registered Member

toshiba notebook w/ P4-1.8G 1G RAM wireless, backingup to a Netgear SC1. Just updated to acronis ver 10 to get network storage backup. However when I run my boot disk, I can see only the local computer HD. The reason for the upgrade was to be able to to the network BU ability, how do I get it to work.

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

It sounds like your wireless network card is not being recognized by the Linux environment of the boot CD.

Can you see the network storage and backup to it in Windows?

If so, the Windows drivers support the wireless card and everything is configured correctly. If you still can't see it when booted from the Recovery CD, try connecting by wire to the network. The wireless NIC may not be supported, but the wired NIC is more likely to be supported.

If it works when wired, that should be OK. You can backup wirelesssly under Windows which you will do regularly. You will just have to connect with a wire to restore which you probably won't do very often.

Let us know what you find out.

3. stumcl

stumcl Registered Member

Thanks John; I'll try the wired card, can do the backups over the wireless just fine.

4. stumcl

stumcl Registered Member

Hi John; Ran a wire instead of using wireless; I can now see the other 2 computers on my network, but not the Netgear SC1 on line storage unit. Any other ideas?

5. Unit01

Unit01 Registered Member

Quick google on the device and I found that it doesn't connect to your PC in a typical NAS manor, in that you don't connect via an IP, instead provided software?

As its connecting through the software, not to an actual device it won't be recognisable to TI from the boot CD, as it won't have the netgear software to connect it to it. Why they do this, it beats me.

My take on the situation.

6. stumcl

stumcl Registered Member

Thanks Guys; guess I'll just use the SC1 for storage and backup to one of my other computers

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please be aware that current versions of Acronis products do not officially support wireless network. Actually, when Acronis True Image is running from under Windows it sometimes works with wireless network. However, it is unable to recognize this kind of network connection when running in the standalone mode (when using Bootable Rescue CD or Acronis Startup Recovery Manager).

The support for wireless network will certainly be implemented in the future versions/builds, but the exact time frame is not decided yet.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

8. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

The Netgear NAS requires a Windows driver be installed on each machine to access the device from Windows. There is no comparable Linux driver in the TI Recovery CD, so the NAS box is invisible.

If Netgear provides a Linux driver, and if Acronis is willing to add it to either the general or a special boot disk for you, this might work.

Other NAS boxes use a different approach and are visible without the addition of special drivers. One of these might be suitable, but I have had problems with inexpensive NAS boxes in that they do not handle large files such as image backups without corruption. Splitting the files into pieces smaller than 1-2 GB allows them to be used sometimes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.